Mason Shaw (Past Players)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think he showed in late 2014 that given some continuity he'll be well worth the investment.

Depressingly though, not sure if his body will be up and firing for long enough to show off his full wares.

Originally posted by Macca19

#22 MASON SHAW

357983.jpg

SANFL Stats (Ave):

Games: 10

Disposals: 6

Marks: 3

Goals: 4

Notes:
After such an impressive 2014 which saw Mason knocking on the door of selection throughout the year, 2015 was a massive step backwards which ultimately ended in his delisting at the end of the season. It was injuries again which stopped Mason from showing his best. Mason played just the 10 matches in 2015, many of which were played in the backlines, away from his more natural CHF role. Unfortuantely, he was delisted at the end of the season, after three years on the list.

Said it at the time and I'll say it again, we cut him too early. Was a really strange decision after what he showed in the back end of 2014. Good athlete with strong hands and a great shot for goal, lacked a bit of mongrel but had everything else you want in a young KPF.

I remember reading this in the paper a couple months back.

Mason Shaw’s goal this year is just to play a full season of footy.

The 197cm athletic forward endured a frustrating three years on Port Adelaide’s list.

A litany of injuries including a broken wrist, hamstring issues and osteitis pubis prevented him playing an AFL game. To add insult to injury, the 22-year-old found himself a casualty of Charlie Dixon’s arrival at the Power when he was de-listed at the end of last season before going in for groin surgery.

Fast forward six months and a revitalised Shaw has emerged as the ace in South Fremantle’s forward line.

He has booted 11 goals in five matches as part of the Bulldogs’ best start to a season in a decade.

Shaw has embraced being back at his original WAFL club and said he was enjoying finally being injury free.

“It didn’t pan out the way I wanted it to when I first went to Port,” Shaw said. “I got some bad news with injury and those sorts of things, but it happens.

“I was just excited to come back and play for Souths this year. It’s been at least three years since I’ve played a full year of football.

“Obviously I wanted to play more at Port, but I’m just excited that I’ve played the first five games this year. My biggest goal for the year is just to play a full year of football and hopefully the body holds up.”

A five-goal haul against Perth in round five has helped Shaw’s self belief. The 2012 No.30 draft pick still hopes to get redrafted.

Shaw bulked up to 97kg while on the Power’s list in efforts to mould him into a power forward, but has since shed several kilograms to avoid a repeat of his groin troubles.

“I’m excited for myself as well just to see what I can do because it’s been such a long time between full seasons,” he said.

“I’m a bit lighter this year.

“It’s helped me out wonders especially coming off surgery and a couple of big pre-seasons at Port.

“Decreasing my load and focusing on strengthening up my groin and areas around it have helped me out big time.”

Shaw’s addition to a forward line boasting dual Bernie Naylor medallist Ben Saunders and Zachary Strom has made Souths’ attack far more potent.

They will be put to the test in a top-of-the-table clash with also unbeaten Subiaco at Fremantle Community Bank Oval tomorrow.

“We’re really excited,” Shaw said. “Subi have obviously been the benchmark of the competition for two or three years now and they still are.

“We like to play really well at home. This’ll really give us a chance to see where we’re at.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/31460655/shaw-just-happ-to-get-clear-run-at-it/

Was disappointed we didn't persist. And his year has reinforced that he's clearly offers more value than the WAFL/SANFL level he has played at.

Began to demonstrate what he was capable of in 2014 and paid a harsh price for not immediately springboarding off that into 2015. Butcher's lift in form late in the year obviously had repercussions for him, but I still think we would have been rewarded with a bit more patience in him and could have found room for the both of them.

Our perpetual inclination to hold onto guys like Mitchell , Matt Thomas , Simon Phillips and a litany of similar sanfl level plodders while cutting key forwards who are the hardest guys to trade in or find in the draft , and well noted to take longer to develop, is baffling

Butcher and shaw should both have absolutely been kept this year and cuts found in our plethora of positionless or project players.

Our perpetual inclination to hold onto guys like Mitchell , Matt Thomas , Simon Phillips and a litany of similar sanfl level plodders while cutting key forwards who are the hardest guys to trade in or find in the draft , and well noted to take longer to develop, is baffling

Butcher and shaw should both have absolutely been kept this year and cuts found in our plethora of positionless or project players.

I actually don't mind guys like mitchell who play and train 110% as they are good club men that show players like shaw and butcher how hard they have to train to play the game.

but yes we have way too many of those guys, even on our list today

I actually don't mind guys like mitchell who play and train 110% as they are good club men that show players like shaw and butcher how hard they have to train to play the game.

but yes we have way too many of those guys, even on our list today
Spoke to Adrian Settre the other day and tho' he's been less hands on at the club for a yr or 2 he said Butch was one
of the hardest workers at the club. Let's look at our KP stocks for next year.
Fwd Dixon (fragile) Schulz (?) Butch (?) Hoff when forward
Backs Carlile (?) Trengove Austin (very early days both shoulders done already) Dougal (knee unlikely any impact in 2017) Clurey who
has been overlooked for years and only just tall enough.
We are on a wing and a prayer. Outrageous management/recruiting.
All's well tho' nothing to worry about we've got plenty of flanking flankers Did Harvey or Shaw even get a game ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke to Adrian Settre the other day and tho' he's been less hands on at the club for a yr or 2 he said Butch was one
of the hardest workers at the club. Let's look at our KP stocks for next year.
Fwd Dixon (fragile) Schulz (?) Butch (?) Hoff when forward
Backs Carlile (?) Trengove Austin (very early days both shoulders done already) Dougal (knee unlikely any impact in 2017) Clurey who
has been overlooked for years and only just tall enough.
We are on a wing and a prayer. Outrageous management/recruiting.
All's well tho' nothing to worry about we've got plenty of flanking flankers Did Harvey or Shaw even get a game ?

it's sad to see so many KPP on our list but none can do the job with confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back