Recommitted Mason Wood [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Port be interested? Is there a shitstorm about COLA on this thread?
In any case, I suppose you guys will be starting to look for a Shultz replacement, because Butcher isn't the answer.

Pick 19 is overs for Wood.
Key forwards draw inflated picks and salary, if it is a 500k asking price, that drives up his pick value.

Though that Sydney offer was Pickering being a shady dude as always.

Disagree, strongly. Wood is a very good player and North would rightly expect a pick in the 10-15 range for him.
Wood is a potentially very good player. He's also out of contract and far from proven. If they get a pick between 10 and 15 they will be laughing all the way to the bank, and rightly so.

Wood isn't a key forward any more than David Mundy is a key defender.

Not this generation.

What he has are good hands, good tackling, good running power, average finishing at goal.

I see him as a very good player for a team needing more retained ball on transition from defense. Like Freo, Richmond etc. The teams that need to make up for not having enough fast players up field or silky kicks behind centre as Wood will work hard on long 100m+ leads to mark between the arcs.

Have to take your hat off to Sydney for contacting North Melbourne and clearing the air, especially after the cloke and daggers of the whole Jong situation at Collingwood.

Key forwards draw inflated picks and salary, if it is a 500k asking price, that drives up his pick value.

Though that Sydney offer was Pickering being a shady dude as always.

But his not actually a key forward. I like him but his getting better each day.

On SEN last night they were comparing him favourably to Stringer.

But his not actually a key forward. I like him but his getting better each day.

On SEN last night they were comparing him favourably to Stringer.
He's our third tall and stands at 192cm, then pushes up the ground to become that target seem Waite has been out for so long.

Stringer is more versatile and his ground work is midfield like at times, but Wood is probably a better contested mark than Stringer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's our third tall and stands at 192cm, then pushes up the ground to become that target seem Waite has been out for so long.

Stringer is more versatile and his ground work is midfield like at times, but Wood is probably a better contested mark than Stringer.

Hence why the dogs are looking at Wood. As you said he provides a different skillset.

Wood is certainly a better contested mark than Stringer. Stringer often chooses not to contest high balls due to his ability on the ground.

I'd happily give our first for Wood. Even with Crameri coming back there would be room for him.

If wood goes to the dogs does that make redpath more expendable even though he just signed a new contract?

If wood goes to the dogs does that make redpath more expendable even though he just signed a new contract?

Good question. Possibly. Redpath has done a pretty good job under Bev so far. Think he has kicked 37 goals in the 20 games he has played so he certainly has done a decent job.

It might not look like it but I think Boyd, Redpath, Wood, Stringer and Crameri could all play in the same team.

Especially considering most of them play dual roles and we play a miniature backline. Someone like Wood might rotate through there. Stringer and Crameri through the midfield and Boyd in the ruck.

I wouldn't think so, Redpath is more a traditional Full Forward, which provides structure and takes the best opposition/tallest defender, and allows Stringer (and Wood if they pick him up) to perform their roles more effectively against lesser defenders.

Good question. Possibly. Redpath has done a pretty good job under Bev so far. Think he has kicked 37 goals in the 20 games he has played so he certainly has done a decent job.

It might not look like it but I think Boyd, Redpath, Wood, Stringer and Crameri could all play in the same team.

Especially considering most of them play dual roles and we play a miniature backline. Someone like Wood might rotate through there. Stringer and Crameri through the midfield and Boyd in the ruck.
Wood can play forward flanker/wing role, but he works best pushing out from deep forward up the ground to the wing and then running back, as he can get lost if you leave him in the midfield and wing areas for long enough. (He's got a good footy nous for a forward, but being a tall winger doesn't work for him all the time, it'll be like Blicavs, he might have a couple good games in the midfield, but going missing at times, so leaving him up forward is better).

Wood can play forward flanker/wing role, but he works best pushing out from deep forward up the ground to the wing and then running back, as he can get lost if you leave him in the midfield and wing areas for long enough. (He's got a good footy nous for a forward, but being a tall winger doesn't work for him all the time, it'll be like Blicavs, he might have a couple good games in the midfield, but going missing at times, so leaving him up forward is better).

Agree. Hypothetically for argument sake let's say the dogs land wood. With our setup nearly everyone doesn't stick in the same role for the whole game. Nearly everyone spends 20 - 30 percent game time in another role. Wood would do the same but yes he's primarily a tall forward and used as a marking option. The thing I like about him the most is that he isn't one dimensional in his marking ability. Can take contested and lead up marks.

I compare him to a poor mans Jack Riewoldt. Very similar stylistically but obviously isn't at Riewoldts level yet.

Disagree, strongly. Wood is a very good player and North would rightly expect a pick in the 10-15 range for him.
And I disagree back! :p

Wood has played 16 career games, and only 8 this year, after four years in the AFL system. Last year in the VFL looking at his game by game summary he had some good games, but wasn't exactly ripping it up every week. At AFL level he's averaged 15 disposals and (this year only) 1.5 goals. He's clearly got some potential, but he's also clearly nowhere near a certainty.

A few similar historical trades can demonstrate the rough value of a player like him (ranked by their trade value & using academy points):
  • Leigh Brown, age 20, back in 2002 went for most using pick #13.
  • Richards, #19
  • Stanley, similar age, less goals but time in ruck. Stanley + #61 for #21.
  • Gunston, showed promise, similar age and abilities. He & #53 + #71, for picks #24, #46, #64
  • Gibson, similar age, looked good, also 3rd tall but down back. Gibson + #69 for picks #25 and #41
  • Crameri, similar age, far more proven, club leading goal kicker (x2). Pick #26
  • Graham Polak, fifth year in the system, former #4 pick, he and picks #13 & #73 received back #8 and #42 in return (valued at pick #25/#26 via academy points)
  • T. Lynch, similar age, less proven. Pick #37
  • A. McDougall, aged 23, sixth year in system, previous pick #5, he and pick #34 received back #29 and #59
On that basis, pick #19 would be quite fair. Only one of those players went for more, and in hindsight North would undo that trade. North may rate him higher, but history indicates unless they're very proven (and not even then with Crameri) that you just don't get that much back no matter their potential.

On a side note, I did say that with Hindsight North would redo trading pick #13 for Leigh Brown. Thinking about it, given the desolate waste that the 2002 draft was for most clubs, it actually might have been a good decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back