Recommitted Mason Wood [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

North would be absolutely insane not to offer this kid anything he wants. Petrie and Waite are both done. Ben Brown is more of a work up the ground CHF and Aaron Black the same. Just on potential and ability he's a 500k+ player. First round pick by far maybe even more.

And I disagree back! :p

Wood has played 16 career games, and only 8 this year, after four years in the AFL system. Last year in the VFL looking at his game by game summary he had some good games, but wasn't exactly ripping it up every week. At AFL level he's averaged 15 disposals and (this year only) 1.5 goals. He's clearly got some potential, but he's also clearly nowhere near a certainty.

A few similar historical trades can demonstrate the rough value of a player like him (ranked by their trade value & using academy points):
  • Leigh Brown, age 20, back in 2002 went for most using pick #13.
  • Richards, #19
  • Stanley, similar age, less goals but time in ruck. Stanley + #61 for #21.
  • Gunston, showed promise, similar age and abilities. He & #53 + #71, for picks #24, #46, #64
  • Gibson, similar age, looked good, also 3rd tall but down back. Gibson + #69 for picks #25 and #41
  • Crameri, similar age, far more proven, club leading goal kicker (x2). Pick #26
  • Graham Polak, fifth year in the system, former #4 pick, he and picks #13 & #73 received back #8 and #42 in return (valued at pick #25/#26 via academy points)
  • T. Lynch, similar age, less proven. Pick #37
  • A. McDougall, aged 23, sixth year in system, previous pick #5, he and pick #34 received back #29 and #59
On that basis, pick #19 would be quite fair. Only one of those players went for more, and in hindsight North would undo that trade. North may rate him higher, but history indicates unless they're very proven (and not even then with Crameri) that you just don't get that much back no matter their potential.

The Gunston trade illustrates Wood's value best for mine.

How could any list manager give up significantly more for Wood than the Hawks gave up for Gunston when at the time of trade Gunston was younger and the better footballer.

You throw in the fact that the Saints got Tim Membrey for nothing and I can't see an opposition club giving up a top 15 pick for Wood.

You throw in the fact that the Saints got Tim Membrey for nothing and I can't see an opposition club giving up a top 15 pick for Wood.

That was more for the fact where the swans list was and Goodes playing on. We are fair traders, he wasn't getting a look in at the swans so we traded him. I didn't want to loose him but realistically he can not be held in the same breath as Gunston/Woods.

Shouldn't the Gunston trade illustrate exactly why he's worth a first round pick? The crows got absolutely ripped off in that deal, Hawks made out like bandits getting a great young key forward for a pick in the 20's
There's several trades there that indicate the original club doesn't get full value. But it also says this is quite standard, so unless there is a reason it would be different for North, that should be about the price (19 to 26 ish).

There's several trades there that indicate the original club doesn't get full value. But it also says this is quite standard, so unless there is a reason it would be different for North, that should be about the price (19 to 26 ish).
Yeah I disagree, he will have plenty of suitors and will command a puck anywhere between 15 and the early 20's. Obviously Nth supporters would prefer to keep him because good young KPP's are hard too find.

Breaking news - after the loss to Port the realisation set in for Mason Wood that he was looking at a career at a rebuilding club. He then contacted the Swans and pleaded with them to make an offer, he was willing to take less $ for the certainty of being a contender. To be continued ......

Yeah I disagree, he will have plenty of suitors and will command a puck anywhere between 15 and the early 20's. Obviously Nth supporters would prefer to keep him because good young KPP's are hard too find.
In this day and age how does multiple suitors help? Gunston had multiple suitors, but he named one club. If Wood decides he wants out, he'll have a specific destination in mind. What others want will only have a small impact. Not none - Hawthorn getting involved had some impact on the Carlisle trade. But not a huge amount.

Be interested to see what Mason does - can't believe North haven't re-signed him by now. They must be getting nervous.

One of the best young marking fwds in the League IMO. Good tank which suits the modern game. Only average finisher.

Would suit the Dogs perfectly and could be our Gunston. Would happily offer our first rd pick 12-18...and I'd throw in a Jong, Hrovat or Honeychurch if it made a positive difference.

If it was purely a money issue surely North would forcibly retire a handful of players from Petrie/Thomson/Firrito/NDS etc., even Brent Harvey should only be offered a minimal contract, to ensure they had the money available, the last thing North can afford is to lose a younger player with potential.

If he just wants to go to another club, then there's nothing North can do but look for the best trade.

The thing for Wood is that he'll have ample opportunity when and if the club makes the right call at years end and retires Waite and/or Petrie. Wood, along with Brown and perhaps Daw will shape a new forward line.

If he had to choose between north and Sydney I know where I'd be heading. North wont even make the 8 next year. Biggest pretenders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he had to choose between north and Sydney I know where I'd be heading. North wont even make the 8 next year. Biggest pretenders
And I would rather stay in my home state where my family are.
He has 10 years ahead of him in the system, not 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shouldn't the Gunston trade illustrate exactly why he's worth a first round pick? The crows got absolutely ripped off in that deal, Hawks made out like bandits getting a great young key forward for a pick in the 20's

Not at the time the trade was done, Gunston had done bugger all at the Crows yet has blossomed at the Hawks due to their development programs or whatever.

The Gunston trade illustrates Wood's value best for mine.

How could any list manager give up significantly more for Wood than the Hawks gave up for Gunston when at the time of trade Gunston was younger and the better footballer.

All good points.

Wood looks like a player with plenty of upside but he has only played 16 games to date, you don't pay Dangerfield prices for players like that.

IIRC Gunston nominated us so we got him for unders. If clubs see the same potential in Wood they'll have to cough up a bit more than we did, or hope that he nominates them.

Bs, he had just won the crows best young player award. Kicked 5 in a game in his second year
Sicily has had a great breakout year as a forward, but I'd very much doubt we'd get first rounder for him. Maybe a pick in the 30's...and to this point Sicily had shown more than Gunston in their respective careers.

You are underselling Sicily massively there, I would give up a late teens pick for him easily.
As it is a Mason Wood thread, what would you give up for him? Who would you choose out of him and Sicily. Personally I think Mason has a more complete game, but Sicily has a higher goal scoring productivity.

Not at the time the trade was done, Gunston had done bugger all at the Crows yet has blossomed at the Hawks due to their development programs or whatever.
Not true, was about to be awarded best rookie at the club awards night when he sent a txt asking to be traded to the Hawks.

yep.
I don't think previous deals mean anything tbh.
The variables involved (club pick positions, players to give up, etc) will mean deals are incomparable.

Roos will sort him out. Will step into the vacancy Petrie will leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back