Massage, post training recovery etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Just bumping this. Changed massage practionier for one who only does strength training clients, figured they are going to know their way around those sorts of niggles a lot better than my old prac.

Squats have been absolutely ruining my hip flexors, the moment I do one it has me shot for the session, anyway; tonight they did a release through my stomach that was basically the same as this:

I tell you what, * it hurt while it was happening but there was almost immediate relief in the hips.

They also told me the poor news that I have one of the worst ROM’s they have seen in a client for the hip area so that needs to be addressed, as it’s saying something when they only do strength based clients :D. I’m getting there with the core strength work though!

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Just bumping this. Changed massage practionier for one who only does strength training clients, figured they are going to know their way around those sorts of niggles a lot better than my old prac.

Squats have been absolutely ruining my hip flexors, the moment I do one it has me shot for the session, anyway; tonight they did a release through my stomach that was basically the same as this:

I tell you what, **** it hurt while it was happening but there was almost immediate relief in the hips.

They also told me the poor news that I have one of the worst ROM’s they have seen in a client for the hip area so that needs to be addressed, as it’s saying something when they only do strength based clients :D. I’m getting there with the core strength work though!

Good timing cos the psoas debate just blew up in social media circles haha (need sound on).
Also, that guy is incorrect when he says the psoas and iliacus function as a singular muscle. Psoas is believed to be an important spinal stabiliser whereas iliacus can’t perform that role due to attachments.

I've been taking a tennis ball to the gym on leg days (Monday and Thursday) and using it on the hips and glutes.
PT comes out about 40 minutes into my session and tosses a cricket ball at me to use I swap the tennis ball out and by god it was painful. I'm sure he only did it to laugh at my facial expressions far more than any concern about health and fitness.
Gave the regulars a good chuckle - think I will upgrade from the tennis ball though, might hunt around for a lacrosse ball today. Definitely feel the difference afterwards (tend to use it 3 times during the session)

I've been taking a tennis ball to the gym on leg days (Monday and Thursday) and using it on the hips and glutes.
PT comes out about 40 minutes into my session and tosses a cricket ball at me to use I swap the tennis ball out and by god it was painful. I'm sure he only did it to laugh at my facial expressions far more than any concern about health and fitness.
Gave the regulars a good chuckle - think I will upgrade from the tennis ball though, might hunt around for a lacrosse ball today. Definitely feel the difference afterwards (tend to use it 3 times during the session)
Yeah I bought a trigger point ball, * me it hurts.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
I have had a bad lower back since i was 18. Im now 28.
From June last year i started focusing on stretching most nights and using a foam roller.
I stretch my hammys and groins mainly with some lower back stretches.
Its worked very well. Touch wood i havent had a sore back in the 7 months.

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Good timing cos the psoas debate just blew up in social media circles haha (need sound on).
Also, that guy is incorrect when he says the psoas and iliacus function as a singular muscle. Psoas is believed to be an important spinal stabiliser whereas iliacus can’t perform that role due to attachments.

psoas is to deep and covered by too much other stuff but you're trying to create change at the psoas not literally manipulate it

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney

if you're trigger point stuff hurts that much than you're probably not doing it right...that being said I don't do any at these days and haven't for 4yrs or so...there's also a psychological "fragility" element to it if you think you need it all the time which will probably increase your chances of re-injury from high anxiousness

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
psoas is to deep and covered by too much other stuff but you're trying to create change at the psoas not literally manipulate it

Irrespective of whether the muscle is deep or superficial any change is likely to be global due to it being a neurological phenomenon rather than a physical one.
Anthony Lo has some cool demonstrations on this. He increases someone’s active shoulder flexion by tapping on someone else’s knee.
*edit*
Found the vid - it’s more applicable to movement cuing but the premise is pretty much the same

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Put Magnesium Chloride Flakes (6 cups) in a warm bath for 20-30mins.

Helps incredibly with recovery post exercise and improves my deep sleep.

Another alternative is Magnesium Oil (Mag Chloride) as a spray bottle which allows me to apply on sore muscles when I can't take a bath.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I went this morning for what I thought was going to be just a regular remedial massage. However, when I got there, the guy said he was going to try a kind of acupuncture with me. It wasn't regular acupuncture though. He only put one needle at a time into different muscles (shoulders, calves, quads, hips, hamstrings) and kind of twisted the needle til I could actually feel a release in the muscle. I'm not sure what the procedure was called but it was quite painful at times. Has anyone else had this done and know what it is called?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I went this morning for what I thought was going to be just a regular remedial massage. However, when I got there, the guy said he was going to try a kind of acupuncture with me. It wasn't regular acupuncture though. He only put one needle at a time into different muscles (shoulders, calves, quads, hips, hamstrings) and kind of twisted the needle til I could actually feel a release in the muscle. I'm not sure what the procedure was called but it was quite painful at times. Has anyone else had this done and know what it is called?

It’s the cookie cutter dry needling technique you learn as part of myo or continuing ed courses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back