Resource Massive expectation game - sh*t on the liver delivered, list of games

Remove this Banner Ad

Help me out Bigfooty Port fans. I want a list of games that the club has had under the Hinkley era that has been on the big stage, national coverage, big game can set up the season or advancing in the finals and the Nice Flakey Hinkley (NFH) approach sees us fail. Sometimes it ends up a close loss, but most times it is an embarrassing loss.

1. 2021 PF at AO v Bulldogs smashed by 71 pts flakey from first bounce, when the odds were stacked all in our favour.
2. 2020 Rd 12 at Carrara v Geelong smashed by 60 pts 4 goals to 14 in shortened qtrs, Port 1st v Geelong 3rd.
3. 2019 Rd 22 at Docklands v North smashed by 86 pts, flakey start, Port had to win to make finals, North were 14th.
4. 2019 R7 at Docklands v Collingwood Friday night 0.3 to 7.6 1st quarter, game over and lose by 39 pts. Ladder after 6 games was Gee 5 wins, 7 teams inc Port and Collingwood had 4 wins
5. 2017 EF at AO v WCE, lost in overtime but flakey start and 10 minutes into the 2nd quarter of a home EF, the score is 13 v 41.

I will add more later and edit and add those posted by others.

2015 Showdown, raging favourite in the aftermath of the Walsh tragedy.

Enjoyed a 10-day break coming off beating Collingwood at home versus their 8-day break coming off being smashed by West Coast in Perth.

18-1 down early, 68-34 down in the second quarter.

Eventually stormed home to lose by a kick, but once again the damage was done early.

Round 12 2017 vs Essendon @ docklands. Cale hooker, 5 goals. :)

Last edited:
Just look at our recent record against top 4 teams. 8-25 or something, go through those losses and you see quite the disturbing pattern of slow starts and flakey players.

Sorry to place this here but fits with ‘expectation’ theme. Maybe the expectation that’s drilled into the players from our rich history is hard to replicate in the AFL, more to the point that the admin can’t behave how they used to behave in those days of success. So we can’t really deliver total club response?

Second game vs the Bulldogs 2015.

Fresh off a demolition of St Kilda this is a must win to stay in finals race.

Down by a goal at quarter time.

Down by eight goals at half time.

The season is declared over, John Butcher comes in for some dead rubbers, we win all remaining games to finish ninth.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

That game from a few years back. Prime time, the guy from INXS, that palava about being the loudest stadium with a decibel meter....then didn't raise a Yelp. Sydney or was it Essendon? It was forgettable, that's the point

Second game vs the Bulldogs 2015.

Fresh off a demolition of St Kilda this is a must win to stay in finals race.

Down by a goal at quarter time.

Down by eight goals at half time.

The season is declared over, John Butcher comes in for some dead rubbers, we win all remaining games to finish ninth.

This is the one that immediately came to mind for me. 2 weeks later beat the eventual premiers in Hawthorn on their own deck. Of all the wasted seasons 2015 might've been the worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll refrain from listing Carlton 2015 (18th at the end of the year) because we were absolutely killed by poor umpiring (not too often they make a highlight tape of the bad calls) but we win that OR the game against Brisbane (17th) and we make finals.

Collingwood this year was a shocker. We talked big game regarding the PBs this year (an argument we were forced into unfortunately, but still) and almost s**t the bed against a team with an under-fire coach and such an undercooked list and we scraped over the line by a single point. Horrible football against a team we should have absolutely embarassing.

Last edited:
That game from a few years back. Prime time, the guy from INXS, that palava about being the loudest stadium with a decibel meter....then didn't raise a Yelp. Sydney or was it Essendon? It was forgettable, that's the point

Two different games.

Sydney = Farrii on the oval
Essendon = loudometer didn’t register

Last game at AAMI in 2013 where we choked and Carlton won by a point or something, was one of the largest crowds recorded there

Stinkley was new then though and we probably were considered bad

I think we might have even been wearing the PBs?
This was my first thought as well. Brogsy hit the post in the dying seconds.

Yes Ports were in the PBs (it had players/members names on it)
2013 members PBs.png

Last game at AAMI in 2013 where we choked and Carlton won by a point or something, was one of the largest crowds recorded there

Was there with family. Hot night. Jumper clash. Seven goals up in 3rd quarter. Brad Ebert four goals, plus long-distance delivery to Tom Logan in the square who took a screamer and goaled.

At the time it didn’t seem so important but of course it was. It indicated a trend … disguised by the satisfaction of keeping the crows out of the finals, by us losing.

How dumb were we?

Hinkley showed more of himself the next season when he coached the Club from top of the ladder at 10-1 then 11-2 down to fifth.

Of course that year was the Prelim vs. Hawthorn, lost by 3 points. More disguise, seized upon by Koch … but that’s another story already told but worth extra research and reporting.

Imagine … imagine … just bloody imagine … what we could’ve achieved if Hinkley could actually coach from go to the final siren.

Last edited:

Yes, maybe believe it was a cue in the rack game though as it had no affect on finals

I'll refrain from listing Carlton 2015 (18th at the end of the year) because we were absolutely killed by poor umpiring (not too often they make a highlight tape of the bad calls) but we win that OR the game against Brisbane (17th) and we make finals.

These weren't really chokes or that though, these were no pressure games we were expected to win with not much on the line at the times.

This was my first thought as well. Brogsy hit the post in the dying seconds.

Yes Ports were in the PBs (it had players/members names on it)
View attachment 1235887
Broadie hit the effing INSIDE of the post. The Hinkley jinx gone mad, in his first year. Nine years, he still there, jinxing us out of our minds.

Regarding the 2013 PB game I reckon 99% were ok with losing, in hindsight I wonder if that had any bearing on the blown four goal lead vs Geelong two weeks later....

Regarding the 2013 PB game I reckon 99% were ok with losing, in hindsight I wonder if that had any bearing on the blown four goal lead vs Geelong two weeks later....

It sure did.
This is Hinkley we’re talking about.
He admitted he screwed up vs. Geelong. That was a final.
He screwed up vs Malthouse in the historic last match at Footy Park in Prison Bars, but nothing said. No surprise, looking back. But … looking back … it all adds to the case for the prosecution.

How about Round 12 2017, Port v Essendon at Marvel. Port 5th and Essendon 7th.
Down 48-9 at quarter time.
Ended up losing 131-61.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back