Resource Massive expectation game - sh*t on the liver delivered, list of games

Remove this Banner Ad

"It doesn't matter how tall you are, only how good you are."

I haven't read through the thread but the one game that sticks out for me is the Showdown in 2017 where several of our players wore longsleeves under their regular guernseys because it was cold. The Crows viewed this as an obvious sign of weakness and went in dry. It was only their inaccuracy that prevented it being a 100+ point blow-out. From memory it was 80 points or thereabouts.

He should have been sacked then and there.
Instead, Hinkley got an EXTENSION! 🙈

There's probably a couple of different sections for this.

Prime time, big expectations:
2014 v Essendon - The Loud'o'meter game. 4.14 at 3/4 time, lose by 2 points against an injury riddled Essendon
2014 v Sydney - The Buddy push game. Kick 7.16 and lose by 4 goals in front of 50,000
2015 v Sydney - The Farris game. Sat night, 50,000, never in it, lose by 48
2015 v West Coast - Dominate all statistical categories except the scoreboard. Lose by 10
2015 v Geelong - Friday night, Dominated early but fell in a hole. Broke the AFL record for out on the fulls.
2015 v Adelaide - The Walsh Showdown. Never in it, come back late, lost by under a kick.
2016 v Geelong - Saturday night prime time. Never in it.
2017 v West Coast - 68 inside 50s to 39 and we lost by 10. How?
2017 v Geelong - Thursday night prime time. Dixon takes too long. We lose in the last 10 seconds to Dangerfield.
2017 v Essendon - Friday night prime time. Lose by 70. Yuck.
2017 v West Coast - Elim Final. Start like sh*t. Work our way into it. Get in front multiple times and blow it.
2018 v Geelong - Saturday night prime time. Lose by 30. never in it. Thomas knocks out Selwood.
2018 v Adelaide - Jenkins "hits the post". Wines has a shot to seal it and misses everything. Disaster
2018 v West Coast - Another loss after the siren after Aidyn Johnson tags McGovern.
2019 v Collingwood - Prime time. Never in it
2019 v North - Prime time. Smashed. Brown kicks 10
2020 v Brisbane - Prime time. Never in it
2020 v St Kilda - Prime time. Collapse in the last
2020 v Geelong - Prime time. Never in it.
2021 v West Coast - Prime time. Never in it
2021 v Brisbane - Prime time. Never in it
2021 v Geelong - Thursday night football. Collapse in the last
2021 v Melbourne - Thursday night football. Never in it
2021 v Bulldogs - Prelim. Never in it.

sh*t opposition, no excuse for losing:
2015 v Brisbane - Won 4 of their last 28 games. Beat by 113 the last time we played. Lost by 37. Bris didnt win for another 12 games. Disaster
2015 v Carlton - Won 2 of their last 21 games. The Simpson 'touched' game. Bryce knocks Robbie out. 5 goals down, late comeback, lost by 4 points. Disaster
2016 v Carlton - Lost by 2 points away. O'Shea running into an open 50 handballs behind him to a carlton player. Cheers stooge
2016 v Fremantle - Won 4 of their last 25 games. 2-10 heading into this. Doogs does his knee. Some no name knocks Robbie out. Never looked like winning
2018 v Fremantle - Lose to an injury riddled Freo away to solidify 3rd spot whilst we were 11-4. Beginning of the end.

Don't worry about emailing long winded letters to Richo about how Kock and Kern are trashing our club, just email this list

Enough said

The general lauding of Ken post season 2014 was concerning at the time. He even decided to hand over to Nicks in the preseason - he and the club got very cocky after achieving nothing.

the bar was set when we lost to hawthorn in the preliminary final. Mission accomplished.

The general lauding of Ken post season 2014 was concerning at the time. He even decided to hand over to Nicks in the preseason - he and the club got very cocky after achieving nothing.

the bar was set when we lost to hawthorn in the preliminary final. Mission accomplished.

Even during the 2014 season when we were clearly too short and getting away with it early, trying to argue that there was issues with our gameplan or structure was blasphemous.

At that point I guess we were trending upwards and 2012 was still fresh in the memory, but jeez.

Led by our President. Lockhart Road documented some of the hubris in early 2015 in his docudrama series of Koch and Cardone doing a big presentation to the AFL with a reluctant KT backing them up.

I get we had to sell hope after the 5 s**t years post 2007 GF disaster. Too many people automatically said if we had beaten Hawthorn we would have won the flag but I said at the time, we had not beaten Sydney more than once in about 6 years and we couldnt do brutual, unsociable football like Hawthorn did, to smash Sydney physically, as well as on the scoreboard.

Last edited:
Led by our President. Lockhart Road documented some of the hubris in early 2015 in his docudrama series of Koch and Cardone doing a big presentation to the AFL with a reluctant KT backing them up.

I get we had to sell hope after the 5 sh*t years post 2007 GF disaster. Too many people automatically said if we had beaten Hawthorn we would have won the flag but I said at the time, we had not beaten Sydney more than once in about 6 years and we couldnt do brutual, unsociable football like Hawthorn did, to smash Sydney physically, as well as on the scoreboard.
2014 was a false dawn with Phil Walsh being Ken's right hand man. KT knew, he was absolutely filthy when he found out the crows had swooped.

2014 was a false dawn with Phil Walsh being Ken's right hand man. KT knew, he was absolutely filthy when he found out the crows had swooped.
I bumped the Phil Walsh thread on Monday and said the Choco and Hinkley era hit their peak when Phil Walsh was at the club.

Obviously the one constant in these games is Hinkley.

Just thinking back to the Lachie Neale game. Kern was fired up. It seems to have the opposite effect on our players. Whatever he's doing, these big games, he's repeating the same mistakes because we come out and get hammered.

Is he like homer Simpson, "cause if you don't... *Shakes fist* ? Is he actually making them nervous? Or are they just so switched off from him that they just run out thinking shut up old man.

Just posted this in the Hinkley stats thread, but the last part has two games that can be added to the list:

Since the start of 2017, we have had 25 quarters without scoring a goal, including 4 quarters without a score at all, and 5 quarters with only 1 behind scored.
Goalless / scoreless / one behind quarters:
Q1: 7 / 1 / 2
Q2: 6 / 1 / 1
Q3: 3 / 1 / 1
Q4: 9 / 1 / 1

In that time we've held our oppo to 35 goalless quarters including 11 scoreless quarters.

In terms of scoring shot differential per quarter, the data for X scoring shots (i.e. the opponent has had at least X more scoring shots than us in the quarter)
4 : 57 (23/14/7/13 by quarter)
6 : 26 (9/8/4/5)
8: 9 (4/3/0/2)
10 (******* 10!): 2 (1/0/0/1)

The -10 scoring shot differential quarters were:
R4 2017 v GWS: we were up 11.14 to 11.10 at 3QT only to score 0.1 to 5.6 in the last to go down by 31 points.
r7 2019 v Collingwood: 0.3 to 7.6 at QT - game done and dusted, we get back in the contest but only slightly claw back the margin to 39 points at final siren.

The 2014 Essendon game was a big one for me personally in terms of breaking Hinkley's spell over me.

Obviously I was already pretty dirty about the fact we hadn't picked Butcher all year, the structure didn't seen sustainable to me, way too short, but I guess we were winning.

Then we lost both Carlile and Trengove in the Showdown, costing us the game. When it came to the selection night the following week, we replaced Carlile and Trengove with Young and O'Shea. Flankers. We didn't even pretend to pick replacement KPDs

It was our first obvious game lost at the selection table. Butcher and Clurey both played SANFL that week. Essendon were a middling side but had strong talls everywhere and absolutely annihilated us in the air. Just dumb as sh*t selection, prime Kenny just taking a giant steaming turd on the idea of a structure.

Still angry just thinking about it.
Although we eventually went onto a kick away from the Grand final (and usual dodgy VFL umpiring aside we would have), in retrospect it's easy to see we've never been better under Hinkley than just before those selections and game. Sure we've finished higher during the H&A twice now, but at that point the side hadn't become mentally shot. Yes, we kicked poorly in 2014 - often due to poor structures - but that side wanted to win, rather than a fear of losing, as crept in from that 2015 pre-season onwards.

I guess Lycett being dropped for standing up to Hinkley never happened.

Honestly, this is probably true. I do sincerely doubt that Ken Hinkley stood in front of the team just before they ran out the race and went "Ah well whatever its just a game, I reckon Bulldogs want it more so just give it to them". I am certain he would've said the type of script you'd want from the coach if this was the rev up before a big game in a movie. Like, *, you could trot me out to do it and I'd be able to do that, it's not hard.

But there's clearly some issue. Is it the players not believing that script because they have no faith in Hinkley? In themselves? In the system? In the gameplan? Or are the words fine but the gameplan so abysmal it doesn't matter? Our skills so poor it doesn't matter? It could be tons of things, sure, so let's look for the consistent elements of this many years of failure. Some seem pretty clear.

I don't want to listen to a whole bunch of "this is fine, we've got the right system, we just need a little more". Look deep for a proper reason why it's all falling apart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about Round 12 2017, Port v Essendon at Marvel. Port 5th and Essendon 7th.
Down 48-9 at quarter time.
Ended up losing 131-61.
Yep. I was at that game. Add to list...

I think you will find a large percentage of our "blockbuster" Friday games have been embarrassing losses. Every time you re arrange your important Friday nights to watch a port game, you end up frustrated, moody, perplexed, angry and just plain sh$%. We exist to frustrate the %^$^ out of supporters....

Had the pleasure of attending Port v Sydney Round 20 2016 at the SCG. Scoreless first quarter. 6.5 to 0.0 In fact, don't think we got the ball forward of centre in the first. Hinkley special.

Had the pleasure of attending Port v Sydney Round 20 2016 at the SCG. Scoreless first quarter. 6.5 to 0.0 In fact, don't think we got the ball forward of centre in the first. Hinkley special.
Remember that one. Gave me the same “I can’t believe this s*** is happening” feeling as the two qualifying finals in 02 & 03.

Was that the day John Butcher kicked half our score and then was dropped the following week, never to play for us again at AFL level?

I was there that day as well... I have spent a lot of the pre-pandemic Hinkley era going to every game, home and away, so this thread has hit home particularly hard because I'm thinking of all the time and money I wasted (particularly) attending the away fixtures.

Most have been covered here, but two notables for me are:
- The North Melbourne 'Ben Brown' game - after the Crows lost to Collingwood earlier in the day and had their percentage appropriately tanked, we go out and get our arses handed to us by a team who kicked 1 goal the week before and dutifully fall back below the Crows by the night's end. And after all week our players had said how they loved Kenny and played for him, funny way of showing it. I can remember leaving my seat in the second quarter to go buy food, use the bathroom, all the things I would wait until a quarter break to do, it was the first time I'd left my seat during the game since I was a kid. I can also recall security being called to the Cheer Squad bay to kick out some random interloper who'd parked himself in the middle of the bay just to give us s**t.

- The Tasmanian Hawthorn last laugh loss - I can't remember the exact year, and I don't want to look it up, but the game where we lost and Ken was laughing on the ground with Clarko after the game, just shithouse optics (the other one down there was the 50m-a-palooza where we lost by 3 points, condeded 9 50m penalties and post-game he again refused to call out the umpiring department for their shithouse treatment of us, instead going with another of the 'it's a hard game' lines).

There have been more egregious examples than those two, they just stick with me because of the travel factor involved to watch such garbage.

The only silver lining to Hinkley coached teams shitting the bed like clockwork is that basically any time we went into a game as prohibitive favourites against a competent opposition me and my mates collected cash because we've seen this movie so many times before.

Yep, same. My only ever trip to the SCG. Absolutely disgusting game, and of course instead of holding someone who was responsible for that accountable, we dropped Butcher, a game after his 20d 11m 4g performance against Brisbane, and then delisted him. A developing key forward in a game where we barely entered the forward line gets scapegoated. Hinkley keeps his job when the writing was well and truly on the wall already.

Was that the day John Butcher kicked half our score and then was dropped the following week, never to play for us again at AFL level?

I was there that day as well... I have spent a lot of the pre-pandemic Hinkley era going to every game, home and away, so this thread has hit home particularly hard because I'm thinking of all the time and money I wasted (particularly) attending the away fixtures.

Most have been covered here, but two notables for me are:
- The North Melbourne 'Ben Brown' game - after the Crows lost to Collingwood earlier in the day and had their percentage appropriately tanked, we go out and get our arses handed to us by a team who kicked 1 goal the week before and dutifully fall back below the Crows by the night's end. And after all week our players had said how they loved Kenny and played for him, funny way of showing it. I can remember leaving my seat in the second quarter to go buy food, use the bathroom, all the things I would wait until a quarter break to do, it was the first time I'd left my seat during the game since I was a kid. I can also recall security being called to the Cheer Squad bay to kick out some random interloper who'd parked himself in the middle of the bay just to give us sh*t.

- The Tasmanian Hawthorn last laugh loss - I can't remember the exact year, and I don't want to look it up, but the game where we lost and Ken was laughing on the ground with Clarko after the game, just shithouse optics (the other one down there was the 50m-a-palooza where we lost by 3 points, condeded 9 50m penalties and post-game he again refused to call out the umpiring department for their shithouse treatment of us, instead going with another of the 'it's a hard game' lines).

There have been more egregious examples than those two, they just stick with me because of the travel factor involved to watch such garbage.

The only silver lining to Hinkley coached teams shitting the bed like clockwork is that basically any time we went into a game as prohibitive favourites against a competent opposition me and my mates collected cash because we've seen this movie so many times before.
The game v Hawks was in Tassie.

The game v Hawks was in Tassie.

I reckon there were two in back to back years in Tassie where we had shitful displays... I went to both... The 50m-a-palooza was the first time I have ever had security come speak to me directly at the football... Matthew Nicholls had just gifted Hawthorn another goal and I was hanging over the fence screaming at him, admittedly not my finest moment but the questions I had for the umpire had to be asked loudly in a blind rage

I reckon there were two in back to back years in Tassie where we had shitful displays... I went to both... The 50m-a-palooza was the first time I have ever had security come speak to me directly at the football... Matthew Nicholls had just gifted Hawthorn another goal and I was hanging over the fence screaming at him, admittedly not my finest moment but the questions I had for the umpire had to be asked loudly in a blind rage
IIRC Hawthorn got 8 or 9 50m penalties in the first one and we went down by 3 pts. The second was an absolute sh*tshow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back