Johnno22

Club Legend
Feb 8, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Carlton
After seven years Masten is still to establish himself as the A grade mid we expected with his selection with pick 3 in the 2007 National Draft.

The AIS/AFL graduate and former Under 18's Captain was an accomplished player and elite runner who was expected to transition to AFL like a duck to water but injuries, consistency and problems with disposals marred his path to the top level.

His critics believed that he was soft and paid more attention to his sense of fashion and suggested that after seven seasons he had accumulated more tattoos than Brownlow Votes as well as arriving at an Adolph Hitler style mow and haircut.

Despite these negatives he finally found form in 2012 and had a breakout year in 2013 (mentored by Dean Kemp)with many predicting he would finish 2014 as our best midfielder. Me included.

This was not to be as either a change in game plan, his game day duties or a lack of desire saw his stocks plummet again and it wasn't till late in the season when he took over wing duties from the injured Rosa that we saw resurrection number two.

Like a number of players his finish to the season was superb and his disposal a delight to watch.

What are his weaknesses:
1. His 179cm, 78kg frame can get pushed aside easily.
2. He needs to tackle like he means it.
3. Seems to prefer an inside role these days.

While I believe he will never be the A grade mid we were all waiting for he can be a powerful weapon going forward played in the role he performed over the last 8 weeks, winning many possessions on the wing and deep in defence as well as some precise inside 50's

Footnote:
When coaches told him to mould himself on Dayne Swan I think he got the wrong message.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
He is very dangerous when getting the ball in open space. Opposition coaches know this so they prevent it from happening as much as they can. And because he is not the strongest his ability to break through is diminished.

His goes the miracle play with those kicks on the run at full steam... and they do shank a bit, but at least when he shanks they are complete shanks and thus becomes a 50-50 ball. Not desirable but for mine its better than up and under kicks that aren't really gives your forwards a chance or kicking to 1-on-2's... And when they do come off it usually opens that passage of play right up for us.

Has been a fair bit down on 2014 than he was in 2013, when - making an educated guess - he probably wasn't quite in the best 50 players in the competition, but i don't think would've been too far from that level. A genuine 8/10 season in 2013, but 6.5 at best this year.

But much larger when viewed that way.

It's not the size that matters, it's the motion in your ocean.

But in all seriousness, Kerr was 178cm and 80kgs and had no problems with the tough stuff.

hudson2006

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2010
Kyoto
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd like to see him rotated between wing and half forward where his kicks inside 50 can do some damage. Think he is better for us on the outside than inside, where he isn't strong enough to win the contested ball consistently. He didn't step up to the elite level for reasons mentioned above, but he offers a bit of depth to the midfield.

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Needs better strength through the core so he can break tackles more easily. I still think there's hope for him to be more than handy, but he'll never be elite.

West Coast Weasel

Club Legend
Jan 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seattle Sonics/OKC Thunder
Goes missing too often, you wouldn't believe how many games I've watched and wondered if he is actually playing, only to see him bob up somewhere towards the end of a quarter. A really talented player but can't be counted on when things hit the fan.

Still unsure where he is suppose to be positioned these days, I often see him on the half back flank when he really should be tearing it up in the midfield. Hope he has a big season next year, should probably ask Kemp to mentor him again.

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
A nondescript career as a 'good ordinary player', much like Rosa or Selwood. Probably too old to trade now (25). Hopefully over the next few years the likes of Sheed and Colledge will develop, we'll draft some good young midfielders and Masten will slowly start to slide down the pecking order until he's playing the majority of his games at East Fremantle and quietly retires from the AFL at 29.

The_Gambler

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2009
Omaha, in middle America
AFL Club
West Coast
Doesn't have the power to ever be an inside player as looks unlikely to break away from tackles, take the game on with run and carry or stick a tackle. Can't remember him running and bouncing a ball. Lacks any composure in tight situations. Does not ever come across as being an elite runner but has good endurance. Best bet is to stick to the wing and rack up lots of cheap uncontested possessions as is a reasonable kick with no pressure.

A nondescript career as a 'good ordinary player', much like Rosa or Selwood.

Probably too old to trade now (25). Hopefully over the next few years the likes of Sheed and Colledge will develop, we'll draft some good young midfielders and Masten will slowly start to slide down the pecking order until he's playing the majority of his games at East Fremantle and quietly retires from the AFL at 29.

Realistically, this is probably the most accurate assessment.

He can't break a tackle to save his life. The moment anyone lays a hand on him, his arms are pinned and he's caught. He has absolutely nothing in his bag of tricks when it comes to evasiveness or a change of pace. Only time i've seen him take a bounce is when he's running into an open goal.

Will be a B grader his entire career, unless something drastically changes. Even in his best season (2013), he still wasn't close to being A grade material.

Going missing in big games is his jam. He does it and does it well. Can anyone recall him putting his stamp on the game with an individual piece of play like Shuey constantly does?

In saying all that, he's still best 22, and still can cause the odd headache for the opposition with his delivery i50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

salo

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
a bit like scooter (and others) he actually seems to play smaller than he is by trying to duck through traffic and tackles. we don't have enough types who have the body and/or confidence to stand up tall in traffic, keep the arms free and release a handball. sheed and yeo give me some hope in that respect.

masten went backwards this year. his lack of flexibility really became apparent so i don't know where he goes from here. definitely had some good games when he was able to get off the chain. kicking is still a strength (most of the time) but we need to get him delivering inside the 50 rather than picking up 25 cheap possessions stuffing around with 15m sideways passes off the half-back line.

Last edited:
Played nearly the whole year injured but yeah dogshit/trade/delist etc.

Yeah well i'm sick of this bullshit excuse.

If you're injured, *offf and let someone else who's fully fit play. I was annoyed when Scooters poor form was put down to his injury. And likewise with Nicnat at the start of the season, and Darling towards the end.

If you're not 100% you should not be playing. Expose youth ahead of playing injured players.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't think he took over rosa's role . In the first half of the season masten was required to be accountable for another player but as the season rolled on Simpson gave the boys freedom to attack and masten started picking up cheap uncontested possessions again and payed less attention to his match up .
Also don't think he likes the inside game . He waits for the handball receive a is used a lot as an outlet kick .
He needs to put on size as he has twig legs and no strength through the hips , gets pushed off the ball and for * sake someone teach him to lift his arms to get his hands free when tackled that's just rookie s**t he needs to have drilled into him .

On the plus side his kicking into forward fifty is almost the best in our side apart from gaff .

94_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jul 22, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats Warriors Glory Pelicans
Doesn't have the power to ever be an inside player as looks unlikely to break away from tackles, take the game on with run and carry or stick a tackle. Can't remember him running and bouncing a ball. Lacks any composure in tight situations. Does not ever come across as being an elite runner but has good endurance. Best bet is to stick to the wing and rack up lots of cheap uncontested possessions as is a reasonable kick with no pressure.

Perfect assessment.

Pottering

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Redlegs), Hiroshima Carp
Don't think he took over rosa's role . In the first half of the season masten was required to be accountable for another player but as the season rolled on Simpson gave the boys freedom to attack and masten started picking up cheap uncontested possessions again and payed less attention to his match up .
Also don't think he likes the inside game . He waits for the handball receive a is used a lot as an outlet kick .
He needs to put on size as he has twig legs and no strength through the hips , gets pushed off the ball and for **** sake someone teach him to lift his arms to get his hands free when tackled that's just rookie s**t he needs to have drilled into him .

On the plus side his kicking into forward fifty is almost the best in our side apart from gaff .

Agree big time about lack of lifting the arms when tackled. When he senses a tackle he jams his arms in tight to brace for contact and consequently gets pinned every time. Somebody down there needs to show how to dish off when tackled. On the other side of the coin he only really tackles when the opposition player runs straight into him. But he's far from alone in the AFL as a quick player who lays few tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back