Masten Under the Microscope

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny. I'd have Watts in my team before Masten and probably Rich now .

That's doesn't mean anything. Nobody has ever rated Masten higher than a contributor that at his best, was able to be a link up player with good inside 50 accuracy. The Masten draft is littered with failures. Watts has strung a few good games together, however has not lived up to number 1 by any stretch.

Swap Masten with Brad Hill and he would be a triple premiership player.

They are essentially the same player

Swap Masten with Brad Hill and he would be a triple premiership player.

They are essentially the same player
i would have masten over hill tbh. Masten is much more consistent and even when he has had his down periods, his contributed to the team.

i would have masten over hill tbh. Masten is much more consistent and even when he has had his down periods, his contributed to the team.

I'm not sure what context you're talking about when you say 'consistent'

Masten goes to watery poo whenever he's not allowed space and pressure is applied.

His ability to get a handball away when tackled is in the bottom 100% in the league.

That's doesn't mean anything. Nobody has ever rated Masten higher than a contributor that at his best, was able to be a link up player with good inside 50 accuracy. The Masten draft is littered with failures. Watts has strung a few good games together, however has not lived up to number 1 by any stretch.
It's easy to see why Watts went number one. For a big guy he is very skilled. Also great composure.
Melbourne took him in the hopes he'd be a star FF/CHF. The two things stopping him are are not so much ability but:
1. His not big enough. Given that his been on a list for 7 years and is still far too skinny to be a star in one of those roles, he clearly has a body that will just not permit him to bulk up.
2. His personality. His the kind of guy you'd take home to your mum. A star player needs a bit of an arrogant/nasty streak and that Watts definitely does not have.

These two things aren't really things you know when you draft someone. If he could have bulked and developed that mean streak, (and not been at such a poor club during his development) I do think he could very well have been a star forward. I guess we'll never know though.

I'm not sure what context you're talking about when you say 'consistent'

Masten goes to watery poo whenever he's not allowed space and pressure is applied.

His ability to get a handball away when tackled is in the bottom 100% in the league.
yes thats his weakness but throughout his career he has been a consistent contributor. Hill on the other hand is notorious for going missing for a long period of time. However, Im of the view that we can't carry 3 pure wingmen and masto is the guy that gets cut back.

yes thats his weakness but throughout his career he has been a consistent contributor. Hill on the other hand is notorious for going missing for a long period of time. However, Im of the view that we can't carry 3 pure wingmen and masto is the guy that gets cut back.

My preference is to carry neither

My preference is to carry neither
so you don't want to carry gaff, masten and jetta.
our strength last year has been our outside run and thats what most game plans are made around. Gaff is the best wingmen in the comp and when on song he cuts sides apart. we just need a good mix of inside and outside.

Noticed today Masten had a hair cut.

Less time flicking his hair out of his eyes and checking the man bun and he plays a decent game.

Coincidence?:huh:;)
i had a man bun about 3 months. i was forced to cut it but its been the best decision i have made this year. Maybe masto realised the same. Schoey needs to follow suit soon.

i had a man bun about 3 months.

lateforwork09.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to see why Watts went number one. For a big guy he is very skilled. Also great composure.
Melbourne took him in the hopes he'd be a star FF/CHF. The two things stopping him are are not so much ability but:
1. His not big enough. Given that his been on a list for 7 years and is still far too skinny to be a star in one of those roles, he clearly has a body that will just not permit him to bulk up.
2. His personality. His the kind of guy you'd take home to your mum. A star player needs a bit of an arrogant/nasty streak and that Watts definitely does not have.

These two things aren't really things you know when you draft someone. If he could have bulked and developed that mean streak, (and not been at such a poor club during his development) I do think he could very well have been a star forward. I guess we'll never know though.

He is an endurance athlete; a link man with a nice kick. If a guy with his make up and frame bulked up too much he would not be able to cover as much ground.

Your being very kind to Watts he probably went pick 1 because he was a bully and overgrown for his age .Who dominated smaller and weaker opponents but of course got found out when he had too play Afl .

He is an endurance athlete; a link man with a nice kick. If a guy with his make up and frame bulked up too much he would not be able to cover as much ground.
That's the role he plays now, but it's not the role he was drafted to play. He was supposed to become a key forward. It just never worked out.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/video/2016-06-12/masters-milestone-chat-with-masten

Masten Leading the comp in 2016 for "caught holding the ball " . Say no more
He's the anti-bulldog...as a one-dimensional player, he typifies everything wrong with our midfield.

He had a good laugh about it too, so hopefully it doesn't just get ignored by Simmo. I recall him handballing well in congestion or while being tackled only a handful of times all year - he needs to do it a handful of times per game.

Last edited:
thought his work in congestion last year was much better and he wasn't second guessing as much but this year it turned into poo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back