Masten Under the Microscope

Remove this Banner Ad

4 times in the third quarter yesterday, when we were coming back into the contest, he had the last kick into our forward 50 and turned it over every time.
He has become the turn over merchant, I say give him 2 games at the start of the season then drop him back to east perth reserves.

Thing is I bet he would have nailed those inside 50s if Kennedy was there

The problem with Masten playing WAFL is he will probably rack up 30+ possessions and come straight back
This is most likely.

Masten runs all day, that is his greatest strength. At WAFL level he run his opponent into the ground.

This is most likely.

Masten runs all day, that is his greatest strength. At WAFL level he run his opponent into the ground.
Surely if you drop him to WAFL you can ask him to improve certain aspects of his game. We all know that Masten in average form can rack 25 possessions at AFL level. You could could drop him and tell him that he won't be picked till his contested posession, clearances, tackles and goals all improve.

You can't give him a "Get X amount of touches" KPI in the WAFL or he'll flick the ball around no problems and meet that easy. Like Biggie said, he has elite endurance.

I'd be more interested in the coaches telling him to actually impact games more. Show some leadership. Lay some tackles. Kick more goals. Just have an affect on the game besides flicking the ball around and finishing a game without having any significant say in the outcome.

And if he's getting good numbers in the WAFL then fine, leave him there. He's 28 and he should be used as depth only at this stage of his career.

Surely if you drop him to WAFL you can ask him to improve certain aspects of his game. We all know that Masten in average form can rack 25 possessions at AFL level. You could could drop him and tell him that he won't be picked till his contested posession, clearances, tackles and goals all improve.
Do you honestly see him improving in any area that really matters though? He's been virtually the same player for his whole career, if he hasn't changed yet it's unlikely he's going to at this point.

Do you honestly see him improving in any area that really matters though? He's been virtually the same player for his whole career, if he hasn't changed yet it's unlikely he's going to at this point.
Thats the point. These guys are saying that Masto will easily get 30 possessions at WAFL as he's the type thats average in the AFL and way too good for WAFL. By asking him to improve certain aspects of his game, it ensures that he's not back again the following week. It probably will make him work harder as well. We always talk about masten being a weak contested player, tackler and poor kick for Goal but in 2013 he averaged close to 4 tackles, 3.5 clearances and 9 contested possessions a game. He also booted 20 goals in 2012. It might be the fact that he doesn't try as hard enough (probably cause he knows his spot is safe) or isn't as hungry. So by dropping him and asking him to improve in certain areas of the game, we might get a much hungrier player.

Thats the point. These guys are saying that Masto will easily get 30 possessions at WAFL as he's the type thats average in the AFL and way too good for WAFL. By asking him to improve certain aspects of his game, it ensures that he's not back again the following week. It probably will make him work harder as well. We always talk about masten being a weak contested player, tackler and poor kick for Goal but in 2013 he averaged close to 4 tackles, 3.5 clearances and 9 contested possessions a game. He also booted 20 goals in 2012. It might be the fact that he doesn't try as hard enough (probably cause he knows his spot is safe) or isn't as hungry. So by dropping him and asking him to improve in certain areas of the game, we might get a much hungrier player.
We might get a better player, but I don't have faith that he will get dropped. I just think it's going to be business as usual this year, games for the vets whilst more deserving guys play in the wafl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mastens leadership and clubman skills should make him a great asset teaching the youngsters in the Wafl .
ice_cube_wtf.gif

How much longer can Marsden be marsdebated

It's shocking how many mids we have drafted or traded with high draft picks since 2007 and how few have worked out.

Almost Melbourne like

It's shocking how many mids we have drafted or traded with high draft picks since 2007 and how few have worked out.

Almost Melbourne like
At what point do serious questions have to be asked of our list management staff?

I don't see many future A-Graders on our list right now.

Almost Melbourne like
Melbourne have got some pretty decent mids now though. After all our trading and drafting of mids we've ended up with Shuey, Gaff, a couple of back flankers, a bunch of WAFL grade spuds and a few guys with potential who haven't shown too much yet.

Melbourne have got some pretty decent mids now though. After all our trading and drafting of mids we've ended up with Shuey, Gaff, a couple of back flankers, a bunch of WAFL grade spuds and a few guys with potential who haven't shown too much yet.
We just keep flat out refusing to recruit real inside midfielders. Yet our problem since way back when has been winning contested ball.

Are the recruiters and list managers dumb enough to think that Naitanui can continue to paper over the cracks?

I wonder if its because of some obsession with 'flexibility', which just seems to have translated into 'players who don't really have a role at AFL level'.

Sure, you could argue that Nelson is one, but he'd be no more an inside mid than Adam Selwood was. Duggan and Parto will struggle to be on ballers though both should be handy running accumulators. Sheed alone doesn't fill me with a huge amount of confidence once Priddis and Mitchell go.

Not taking Blakely despite our need for players like him indicates how low the club values inside mids. Obviously he can be poor by foot but so are most of our players when they bang it on the boot at the slightest hint of a contest. "Tom Lamb - not sure what we'll do with him, but hey maybe that's a good thing!"

All this despite Simpson constantly saying last year that we need players who can do the heavy lifting. I'm not sure what he expects or whether the recruiters, list managers and coaches are all on the same page.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back