Masten Under the Microscope

Remove this Banner Ad

My take on Masten ... How best to describe him is to try and remember back to the days at Primary School when we actually played games with a ball and ran around .

So the take would be :

Masten was a total star at the game of " keepies off " where you get applause and admiration for running with the ball to all parts of the school yard and provided no one ever touched you and tagged you then you were free to keep running with the ball in any direction that you choose ( in Masten's case ...if he had the ball.... it's usually backwards ) just keep running with the ball as long as you can try to avoid being tagged and caught.

However the same kid who could run all day ( yes that would be you Masten ) would be totally absent in the game of " British Bulldog " because that would involve being tackled and taking on the physical confrontation. FFS you may even be engaged in a physical confrontation .

A weird analogy I will admit but sadly it's TRUE .

Let's see if we can get to 306 pages with this one. The challenge has been laid down, people. ;)

Except i'm not sure the OP has a well rounded point to make about Masten.

Plus there is pretty much mutual agreement, Masten is an ok flanker/ wingman but we could be doing better. Newman, Karpany, or Conilgio could perhaps play his role.

what was his injury? or did you make that up?

i remember he had a corkie early on in the season.

Watch the games, had his thigh strapped for nearly all of them. He couldn't extend to a full gait and lost alot of penetration with his kicking.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he'll ever be a superstar, just don't think you can take this year too seriously since he was at 75% for themajority of the season.

Very good I50 delivery, runs around all day and presents. i think he really struggled with Simmo's game plan early, but was much more productive when moved more to the wing than HFF. He's never going to be a game winner, but will make teams pay if they don't pay him any attention. On team with very few good kicks, he's easily top 5 on our list. He can add strength and that would help his game, but our team benefits from the ball going through him more. He's never going to be elite, but there's no reason he can't become like Leigh Montagna. Time to move on from his draft position and junior game - that's gone and never coming back. I would still say he's part of the solution rather than the problem.

Thought the back-end of his season wasn't too bad, at least a couple of serviceable games and good ability to get it to a target when he has some space. Obviously more was expected of him given his draft pick (like Shep), but I agree that it's time to move on from that.

his disposal inside 50 has improved greatly. I suspect his biggest problem was/is poise. he hasn't got it.

He is also short and week in the core, you can be tall and week but the die is cast and he was a poor pick 3 in the tradition of woodhouse.

Ok as a depth mid as he is now

Played a bit better towards the end of this season but an overall fail for him this year. Not even close to what he was expected to be when first drafted but does come in handy from time to time. You can't question his commitment and attitude towards training which as a senior player benefits the youngens.

Best to keep at the club I thinks but you would have to consider if a decent trade come along

Some pretty ridiculous posts on here. As BOND 007 would say, players aren't just pawns and you don't just trade someone because they aren't worth their original pick. Lots of people here have complained about our team accepting mediocrity - well, you don't get past being mediocre by trading out one of your top 10-15 players on a whim. Masten definitely has the tools to be part of a premiership side, and if we did trade him odds are it would bite us because (a) our youngsters would lose a mentor and learn less on the field and (b) he'd do well at the other club.

I generally like our fans because few of us a fairweather supporters of the club, even those who are negative about our prospects still feel passionately about us becoming better, and, you know, care. But when it comes to players, this board rarely hesitates to cast players aside as 'useless'. There's no reason why Masten shouldn't be able to return to 2013 form once our structures solidify a bit more and we have fewer injuries to our 22.

In 2005/2006 the midfield contained three supreme performers in Judd, Cousins and Kerr. All AFL Top 10 midfielders in those years.

They were ably supported by strong but not supreme players in Braun, Fletcher, Stenglein, Chick and Jones.

On present form Masten, Shuey, Selwood, Gaff, Priddis and Rosa all match the level of the second group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I agree that people often struggle to separate objective evaluation of a player from their anger at them not living up to hype or draft pick.

I think Masten needs to grow up a bit mentally and also needs to get stronger through the core. His medium range kicking is very good though, he can tackle well we he wants to, and is handy around goals, so he has enough to work with. Getting the most out of him will give us a good 4th or 5th midfielder.

In hindsight wasn't worth pick 3, but that's not his fault

Masten is in the same boat as many in my view including Selwood, Shuey, Nicnat. Everyone is waiting around for these guys to become A Graders and at this point only Shuey could possibly get there.
NicNat is a little different as he is a ruckman but lets face it he struggles as well the majority of the time other than his ruck work.
The club and it's spectators consistantly provide excuses for these guys. They have a good game and they are fully fit, they play poorly and they are injured.
I think we need to accept that Selood and Masten are B Grade players and it won't matter if it is year 6 next year or year 9 in 3 years time they will still be B Grade players whop every now and again play what could be deemed as an A Grade game.
These guys have had ample opportunity's, right now in an average side they are still there but the focus should no longer be on them but on younger players with greater potential.
We have seen Masten and Selwoods best, we are not going to see anything better in the future from them. They are seasoned players now with little upside than what they currently show.
I am sure Simpson has accepted thats who they are and we should to.

In 2005/2006 the midfield contained three supreme performers in Judd, Cousins and Kerr. All AFL Top 10 midfielders in those years.

They were ably supported by strong but not supreme players in Braun, Fletcher, Stenglein, Chick and Jones.

On present form Masten, Shuey, Selwood, Gaff, Priddis and Rosa all match the level of the second group.
Shuey is better than those in the second group. We don't need a midfield as godlike as we did in 2006 - the rest of our team is better than it was back then

The club and it's spectators consistantly provide excuses for these guys. They have a good game and they are fully fit, they play poorly and they are injured.

Agreed on the rest but this is a tad harsh the other way. Surely at least sometimes the case is that they are fully fit so they have a good game as a result, or they are injured and therefore play poorly?

Agreed on the rest but this is a tad harsh the other way. Surely at least sometimes the case is that they are fully fit so they have a good game as a result, or they are injured and therefore play poorly?

As members and Spectators surely all we can do if players take the field assume they are fit enough to perform. All footy players play with niggles and minor injuries most of the time.
If you take the field then you are judged on your performance with no excuses. I don't understand why anyone would think that is not right.

Masten is the speedy midfielder - Um well about that

Masten is the silky skilled midfielder -Oh Wait he's not

Masten is the strong inside midfielder - Yeah Nah

Masten is the goal kicking midfielder - Well No but he tries

So What is Masten ? And how the hell did he go pick 3

Last edited:
It's not the size that matters, it's the motion in your ocean.

But in all seriousness, Kerr was 178cm and 80kgs and had no problems with the tough stuff.
iin fairness kerr was a fwarken freak- witness tackle on fraser gehrig

not many players twice his size could do that

Yeah well i'm sick of this bullshit excuse.

If you're injured, ****offf and let someone else who's fully fit play. I was annoyed when Scooters poor form was put down to his injury. And likewise with Nicnat at the start of the season, and Darling towards the end.

If you're not 100% you should not be playing. Expose youth ahead of playing injured players.

esp when even if we were to make the 8 we would be out of it a week later - zero chance of a premiership

look how many collyflog have blooded in the last few seasons - soon as their season is shot its in with the new bloood

i often wonder how when we whinge about our players never lasting how much us playing them injured in seasons where it didnt matter contributed

Masten is the speedy midfielder - Um well about that

Masten is the silky skilled midfielder -Oh Wait he's not

Masten is the strong inside midfielder - Yeah Nah

Masten is the goal kicking midfielder - Well No but he tries

So What is Masten ? And how the hell did he go pick 3

Seriously? Masten is the fittest guy on our list who is an excellent kick (top 5 on our list) especially delivering I50. It doesn't matter any more that he was a top 3 pick, that's sunk cost, move on. Sheet, here are the next 5 picks after him - Cale Morton, Jarrad Grant, David Meyers, Rhys Palmer, Lachlan Henderson. I'd pick Masten. As some one else stated, on Hawthorn/Sydney/Geelong he'd be an excellent player.

esp when even if we were to make the 8 we would be out of it a week later - zero chance of a premiership

look how many collyflog have blooded in the last few seasons - soon as their season is shot its in with the new bloood

i often wonder how when we whinge about our players never lasting how much us playing them injured in seasons where it didnt matter contributed

Yeah. I mean Darling played in the final game with his sore foot. Which is what his poor form was put down to.

So why the * was he playing in the first place? It's the final game of the year, and it meant absolutely nothing, and we STILL play an injured player?

This is why our depth never gets a proper crack.

Seriously? Masten is the fittest guy on our list who is an excellent kick (top 5 on our list) especially delivering I50. It doesn't matter any more that he was a top 3 pick, that's sunk cost, move on. Sheet, here are the next 5 picks after him - Cale Morton, Jarrad Grant, David Meyers, Rhys Palmer, Lachlan Henderson. I'd pick Masten. As some one else stated, on Hawthorn/Sydney/Geelong he'd be an excellent player.

Alot of people are really fit mate !! He's only just started to sharpen up his kicks i50 the last 4 game's, Usaully player's who go top 3 have something that really stands out and this is what im getting at !!

Out of 10, where 1 is crap and 10 is Gary Ablett (Snr or Jnr, take your pick)

Foot skills - 7
Decision making - 4
Endurance - 8
Heart - 3
Danger - 5
Pre-Season Form - 9
Ability to Train Houses down - 10
H&A Season impact - 5

Basically, he'll do enough things during the year to make you think he should stay in the side, but honestly... do we honestly think that other teams are concerned with him?

FWIW - Let's just have a look at his Brownlow polling career:

2008 v North Melbourne - Loss
2011 v Brisbane - Win (Brisbane finished 14th/17 teams in 2011)
2012 v GWS - Win (GWS - wooden spoon)
2012 v Gold Coast - Win (GCS finished 17th/18 teams in 2012)
2013 v Melbourne - Win (Melbourne finished 17th/18 teams in 2013 with only 2 wins)
2013 v GWS - Win (GWS - wooden spoon with only 1 win for the season)
2013 v Adelaide - Win (No qualms with this. Was a very good win against a better team than us, but even then they only finished 11th)

OK - so people call us flat-track bullies, down-hill skiiers etc. I don't agree that the team is, but if you could make the case for a player being like that, can't we agree that it's Chris Masten?

That North game in 2008 is the only game where he's polled Brownlow votes against a team that's finished in the top 8. Hell, it's the only game where he's polled against a team that's finished above 11th!

What does that all mean? Make up your own mind. Interesting to me though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back