ATP/WTA Masters 1000 Cincinnati

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finish watching Djokovic, as expected, very rusty. ADF was forced to retire with a back injury at the start of the second set. The match itself was terrible, both players struggling for any rhythm, no rallies at all, Djokovic miles off his best. He got broken while serving for the set at 5-3 which was very surprising given ADF‘s movement was shot. He probably would have wanted the match to go on a little bit longer to find a bit more rhythm.

Also, I don’t know if it’s just me, but the courts look a little slower than they usually are at this tournament. Not many quick courts anymore.

Poppy seems to be having a charmed life in Cincy.

Gets bundled out of quallies by Purcell.

But snags a Lucky Loser berth in main draw. Plays another lucky loser in R1 and after that manages another two wins to stay alive and now faces Hurkacz.

With his luck this week, he rises to a new career-high of #40. If I was him I'd probably go out and buy a Powerball ticket.

And Purcell (slated on these boards a few weeks back) easily disposes of Stan.

He sure made the right decision to focus on singles.

But a big test next against (likely) Alcaraz.

Yeah incredible weeks for both Purcell and Popyrin, wow. What results overnight.

Alcaraz and Paul locked in another intense battle, Carlos has the break in the 3rd with rain interrupting play. Paul saved a few MP’s in the second set. What a match-up this is.

Huge result for Zverev too, finally beats Medvedev again. Great to see.

Poppy seems to be having a charmed life in Cincy.

Gets bundled out of quallies by Purcell.

But snags a Lucky Loser berth in main draw. Plays another lucky loser in R1 and after that manages another two wins to stay alive and now faces Hurkacz.

With his luck this week, he rises to a new career-high of #40. If I was him I'd probably go out and buy a Powerball ticket.
Well after a poor 2022 season, he ll take it.

So many players get charmed results and rankings.

Like, De Minaur… world number 13? Yeah sure, that’s definitely his level, yep.

So many players get charmed results and rankings.

And some like ADM or Max get them via hard work.

If 'so many' players get their rankings just via luck I guess Alex would be about #6 and Max up to about #20 all things considered.

And some like ADM or Max get them via hard work.

If 'so many' players get their rankings just via luck I guess Alex would be about #6 and Max up to about #20 all things considered.
Yes and no.
Max, like I said, have boosted his ranking via Challenger Tour BUT he has got into ATP Tour form.
De Minaur? Nope. He’s becoming an easy win v top 10-50. He’s had a poor season tbh.

Rankings still have a biased approach, IMO.

Maybe time for Wawrinka to retire if someone as bog average as Purcell gets you 4 & 2.:poo:
I caught the Zverev vs Medvedev match, good game.
Zverev will be back top 10 soon where he belongs, hot girlfriend too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s becoming an easy win v top 10-50. He’s had a poor season tbh.

Yet - unseeded in Toronto - he disposed of the #11 seed, the #8 seed, the #2 seed and made the final.

And rose to his career-high singles ranking.

Ummm ok..

Yet - unseeded in Toronto - he disposed of the #11 seed, the #8 seed, the #2 seed and made the final.

And rose to his career-high singles ranking.

Ummm ok..

And winning a 500, making a final of another plus a 250 final.

Bar the early exit at Wimbledon (to a former finalist), he's had an amazing season.

I didn't get to see Purcell but from all reports he actually gave Carlos trouble. What a world....

Zverev totally dominant judging by scores.

Meanwhile very tight set between Sabalenka and Jabeur. Sabalenka takes it 7-5, some amazing shot making by both.

He's bog average mate. Obviously just some more dumb luck.

Haha. He's come a long way from watching him at Mornington ITF's that's for sure.

He was being interviewed on Tennis Channel after his Wawrinka win and he's mentioned that the last two weeks he's feels comfortable on his ankle again after that break a few months back.

Great effort for him as well as Popryin

watching him at Mornington ITF's

ITFs are great to attend. Gold coin entry. Lots to see. Up and comers (you could have seen a future #1 playing not so many years ago) and admirable journey-men & women. Short queue for a pie or soft drink chatting to a Davis or Fed Cup player.

Remember being on a work trip about 10 years back. Stuck in Cairns for the weekend but there was an ITF on. I was the only one in the stands for a semi I think. Had my laptop with me and was chatting about the match and reporting scores to fans from round the world.

Then I noticed some coach or official pointing at me. I'm thinking what's up? I guess it was because they thought i was something to do with betting. Damn those gamblers for spoiling sport.

Novak wins 6-0, 6-4. pretty impressive stuff. Hitting the forehand very well, serving well, good variety. Fritz was admittedly well below his best, however Novak does look confident.

Alcaraz vs Hurkacz
Zverev vs Djokovic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back