ATP/WTA Masters 1000 Indian Wells

Remove this Banner Ad

He did indeed. He doesn’t need the ranking points of ATP500 most of the time.
He ll get some clay court cheapies like he did prior to Indian Wells. And will do so in a few weeks too.

Yep and broke down shortly after the US missing the end of year championship. Has to be very careful on his schedule

7th. Still 3-4 places to high.

her and Ons should be the 4th and 5th ranked players. No disrespect to Jess and Caroline but they should not be ranked inside the top 5

Neither should Coco with that abysmal forehand

Finished both finals.

Rybakina too good. Wish I had money on her as I thought she’d win this tournament. Sabalenka’s double faults in the TB were crazy. She could‘ve won that set and if so, who knows what would’ve happened. Nice to see Elena with some consistency, let’s see how she does in Miami.

Alcaraz…freakshow. Just insane. Medvedev had no ideas what to do, looked totally defeated right from the outset. Maybe fatigue caught up with him? Hadn’t played his best tennis all tournament but had found ways to win. All caught up with him today. Carlos was pretty incredible though, and finally someone used the drop shot off Medvedev’s return of serve. And occasional S&V. If you stand that far back, you’re asking for it. Final was an anticlimax but what a performance. He’s 19. Scary.

My Indian Wells rundown.

The Good:

• Alcaraz’s tennis. What an incredible talent he is. To be performing the way he is at 19 is crazy. I just can’t even imagine what he’s going to be like at 24, 25 etc. Is he going to peak early and stagnate? Because if not, then what he’s going to accomplish is scary.
  • Rybakina. Getting her ranking to where it belongs. One of, if not the purest ball striker in the game, and with such a dominant serve, you feel she’s got at least one slam in her this year.
  • Zverev’s form. He may have lost to Medvedev, but it took over 3 hours to do so and every tournament he’s a step closer to putting it all together. If not for the injury last year, he might’ve beat Nadal at the FO. Love watching him play.
  • Potapova vs Pegula. The quality might have been hit and miss at times but the drama was amazing. Full house, American competing, Potapova giving everything, it was electric.
  • Sinner vs Fritz. Some of the hardest hitting I’ve ever seen, the rallies were insane.
  • Andreescu and Raducanu showing glimpses of their best. Andreescu had a 20 minute period against Swiatek where she reeled off 4 straight games and it looked like the Bianca of 2019. Her passion on court is what the tour needs. As for Emma, you feel every match she plays she has to somehow prove 2021 USO wasn’t a fluke. 4R was a good result, and she too had a patch against Swiatek where she looked brilliant. Didn’t last long, but the signs were there.

The Bad:
  • Tsitsipas 2R exit. Shoulder injury sure, but why not just withdraw citing the injury? I don’t quite understand what playing at 50% achieved? His participation was almost a blur. I’m not a huge fan of the guy but I want everyone playing at their best, and it’s no good seeing him be a shadow of himself out there.
  • Korda‘a absence. Obviously the injury suffered at the AO was quite serious as he hasn’t played since retiring mid match. He’s taking a long term view regarding the injury, and is scheduled back in Estoril. I miss his tennis.
  • Swiatek. She cited a rub injury after the loss, didn’t seem to affect her in the wins. Twice she’s copped heavy defeats to Rybakina this year, got to be a concern. She’s an amazing front runner, often steamrolling matches, but when trailing things can get away from her quickly.
  • Rune. Form has been patchy this year. He’s a punk with plenty of attitude and a massive thirst to win, but hasn’t put it together yet this year. He’s 19, and will be inconsistent. Alcaraz isn’t a good comparison to what 19 year olds should be achieving! I think a Rune/Alcaraz rivalry will eventually be huge for the sport. Still unsure of his talent.
  • Bencic losing first match to Teichmann. That hot start to the year is losing its momentum fast. She had a good run at Miami last year, maybe she’ll have better fortunes coming fortnight.

The Ugly:
  • The speed of the courts. WAY too slow. I don’t mind a slow hard court, but this was next level. Some rallies looked like slow motion. Apparently Miami will be faster, thankfully.
  • Berrettini & Shapovalov. Both tumbling down the rankings real fast. Berrettini needs to work on his fitness first and foremost, and Denis needs to reset completely.
  • Anisimova. Can’t believe she’s still only 21, and can’t believe she’s only just now ranked below slam seeding. How badly does she want it? Her ball striking is unbelievable but she looks in average shape, and her Instagram picks certainly don’t paint the picture of someone who’s going all in on tennis. Could see her ranking balloon out very quickly.

Just finished watching the finals, what a great tournament. There really is nothing stopping King Alcaraz, just give him the crown now, i think he will comfortably be world number 1 by a big margin by end of year
Over 425 thousand people attended. Just wow. Incredible numbers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back