Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
No mens draw yet, will post and preview when it becomes available. As for the women, the draw looks really similar to IW, which is a bit of a shame. The timezone for Miami isn’t as friendly as IW, a lot of super early (or late depending on perspective) starts, so not sure how much live tennis we’ll be catching.

D22C9132-43CF-4FAC-85F3-676F04592924.jpeg
E6DEFE56-9106-4F33-A30C-E37FC26B8501.jpeg

I’ll start with some of the more anticipated matches in the first round. Former US Open champions Andreescu and Raducanu meet first up, both looking like they are regaining form. Should be good provided their good versions turn up. All American encounter Rogers vs Stephens could be good, Giorgi/Kanepi might flatten a few balls, and Kostyuk vs Cocciaretto is interesting on paper. Super excited by Miami’s decision to provide WC’s to emerging talent, as 17 y/o former AO junior champion Jimenez Kasintseva faces Kalinskaya. 15 y/o Brenda Fruhvirtova is also here courtesy of a WC, and 18 y/o’s Erika Andreeva and Ashlyn Krueger go H2H. This is how WC’s should be distributed!

Looking a bit further down the track, assuming Kostyuk wins, she would face Potapova. Now with the whole Ukraine/Russia situation, and with Potapova fined last week for wearing a Russian soccer top, there could be a bit in this match. The emotions will be running high. Pegula could face Linda Fruhvirtova in the second round, could be another drama filled match. Get the feeling Linda is going have a heap of epic matches in her career. Hopefully fewer than 21 DF’s this week… Sabalenka and Krejcikova are on another 4R collision course, likewise Rybakina/Badosa 3R. The talented Qinwen Zheng is back from injury, and could face Samsonova 3R. Liudmila is frustrating because she could be dominating with her serve and power, but she all too often crumbles. I’m tipping that should these two meet, whoever wins will go on a run to the SF.

Defending champion Swiatek has a nice draw early and should results go as expected, will get a 3rd opportunity to beat Rybakina in a QF. Backing up IW may prove difficult for Rybakina though so I’m not ready to pencil that in yet. You get the sense a dominant 4 is emerging. Swiatek, Sabalenka, Rybakina and Krejcikova. I’m tipping the latter of this group to take the title.

This should be a ripper tournament for the women, i think Swiatek backs up and wins this tournament again

Not sure she will even play she did hint of an injury post Indian Wells. Wouldn’t shock me if she withdrew

98FA07C4-EB66-40C8-A967-5AF9054E8A75.jpeg
6C1428BD-D300-4048-9915-DFDE7D9B6086.jpeg

The draw is lopsided as the top half is stacked, and other than Medvedev, I think all the contenders are there. Defending champion and new world #1 Alcaraz has a difficult draw which I’m sure he’ll make look easy. But I guess the question is how much does he have left in the tank and how far will he push himself? I can’t see him holding back at all. If Murray beats Cressy in the 2R, he’ll set up that clash we should’ve had in IW.

Rune and Fritz are on track to face in the 4R, with the winner potentially facing Alcaraz in the QF. Davidovich Fokina and Tommy Paul should meet in the 3R, which could easily be a QF, it’s a shame so many contenders got lumped together. Meanwhile in the bottom section of the top half you have Sinner and Rublev likely 4R, with Zverev also hovering. Ruud is here too, last years finalist, and maybe this tournament will spark a return to form? I think Zverev and Sinner meet in the QF, which would be huge.

Medvedev looked a little fatigued in the IW final, but his draw is soft. Tsitsipas is the second seed but unless his shoulder injury has dramatically improved in two weeks, hard to see him lasting long. Khachanov could make a run but his form has fallen off since AO, and Lehecka has dipped a little too after some painful losses. I like Hurkacz to come from the bottom half, and although he has Shelton in 3R, he reached the SF here last year, losing to Carlos. FAA could also be a chance just through his consistency. If Med still has energy he should make the final comfortably. Can de Minaur bounce back after a dreadful IW? Could face Berrettini in the 3R.

In terms of early intriguing matches, Sonego/Thiem will have some great hitting, Murray/Lajovic will be crafty, and Bublic/Wolf could have fireworks. Aussie watch, Popyrin has Ymer, very winnable, Kubler has Montiero. O’Connell, Thompson and Kokkinakis all have their final qualifying matches tomorrow morning. Predictions wise, it’s always hard to call the second leg of the sunshine swing as there’s a real chance of early upsets from those who went deep at IW. Although you could well have Alcaraz vs Medvedev again. I’ll go for Zverev vs Hurkacz?

More worried about Ruud there
I’d have half a dozen guys ahead of Ruud who concern me for the FO.

Mixed bag for the Aussie men in qualifying this morning, 2/4 made it into the MD. Kokkinakis went down 7-5 in the 3rd to none other than Paire. Vukic and Thompson made it, no such luck for O’Connell.

Mixed bag for the Aussie men in qualifying this morning, 2/4 made it into the MD. Kokkinakis went down 7-5 in the 3rd to none other than Paire. Vukic and Thompson made it, no such like for O’Connell.

Normally yes, but he's a claycourter they do well there. Tsisipas probably the forgotten one but I have no idea how his injury is

Less said about Fruity today please how are you losing to Sebot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mixed bag for the Aussie men in qualifying this morning, 2/4 made it into the MD. Kokkinakis went down 7-5 in the 3rd to none other than Paire. Vukic and Thompson made it, no such luck for O’Connell.

Both Kokk and O'Connell got in as Lucky loser's

Kokk losing to Paire just confirming how poor his tennis can be outside of Australia.

Normally yes, but he's a claycourter they do well there. Tsisipas probably the forgotten one but I have no idea how his injury is

Less said about Fruity today please how are you losing to Sebot
Brenda was down 6-0, 3-0 before rallying to at least make it a contest. She shows some promise, I like her BH more than her FH. Not a great athlete at this stage, neither is her sister actually. 13 DF for Linda, not good. Serve needs major work.

Kostyuk smashed her useless opponent, and I didn’t mind what I saw from youngster VJK against Kalinskaya. Good athlete, solid both wings, I think with a more powerful serve and a bit more aggression, she could be something.

Brenda was down 6-0, 3-0 before rallying to at least make it a contest. She shows some promise, I like her BH more than her FH. Not a great athlete at this stage, neither is her sister actually. 13 DF for Linda, not good. Serve needs major work.

Kostyuk smashed her useless opponent, and I didn’t mind what I saw from youngster VJK against Kalinskaya. Good athlete, solid both wings, I think with a more powerful serve and a bit more aggression, she could be something.

Kostuk plays Potopova next round lol honestly this could be epic television they both hate each other!

Linda was dreadful you sort of expect it with Brenda she’s so young

Andreescu v Raducanu pick of the bunch today. I think one of them wins comfortably, but which.

Good match. 3 sets Bibi too good in the end

Iga could lose world number 1 in a couple of months then, she has ALOT of points to defend and from memory dont think Rybakina has anything really

Iga could lose world number 1 in a couple of months then, she has ALOT of points to defend and from memory dont think Rybakina has anything really

Sabalenka is the one not Rybakina who won’t do much on the clay anyway

Murray lost, yikes. That’s a bad loss. Form deteriorating?

Erika Andreeva won, you beauty. I mean I’m not going to lie, she‘a a bit limited, a bit of a lightweight, but I like her. Got to be best dressed at this tournament too surely. Serve is weak, groundstrokes can often land too short, but she actually has a good tennis IQ, can hit some nice winners, and is a great fighter. She’s having a good year overall.

Anisimova retired down a set and 5-2. She just gave up, couldn’t be bothered competing anymore. Hilarious. And also a bit sad because she’s talented but her head isn’t in the sport. Take a break girl. Also Brengle‘s outfit is the worst of the tournament. Shocking.

Noskova won, and will face Kvitova. Hmmm, will be an interesting match-up.

Popyrin won, courtesy of a retirement in the second set. One of 3 men’s matches to end that way, weird.

Murray lost, yikes. That’s a bad loss. Form deteriorating?

Erika Andreeva won, you beauty. I mean I’m not going to lie, she‘a a bit limited, a bit of a lightweight, but I like her. Got to be best dressed at this tournament too surely. Serve is weak, groundstrokes can often land too short, but she actually has a good tennis IQ, can hit some nice winners, and is a great fighter. She’s having a good year overall.

Anisimova retired down a set and 5-2. She just gave up, couldn’t be bothered competing anymore. Hilarious. And also a bit sad because she’s talented but her head isn’t in the sport. Take a break girl. Also Brengle‘s outfit is the worst of the tournament. Shocking.

Noskova won, and will face Kvitova. Hmmm, will be an interesting match-up.

Popyrin won, courtesy of a retirement in the second set. One of 3 men’s matches to end that way, weird.

Amanda had a massive fall in the first set. I hate retirements but you could see it coming a mile away. Took a MTO after that and her serve literally dropped 20kmph.

Can’t wait for Kostuk vs Potopova

Remove this Banner Ad

Back