Skills Masters 35s Advice

Remove this Banner Ad

Craigm

Draftee
May 9, 2011
point cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey legends, I’m in my 5th year of 35s masters footy. Prior to that, my experience was very limited having only played junior footy up to u12s. My skills have no doubt improved over the last couple of years, I feel I train well. When it comes to game day, it all falls apart. I hardly get a touch, and feel I hardly make an impact on the game at all. I’m not sure if it’s just my own confidence and not backing myself in or what. I love footy and just want to feel I’m contributing to the team on game day. I know it’s hard to give solid advice without seeing me play, but any advice would be awesome. FYI, usually play forward pocket, sometimes flank. I’m a smaller bloke at 170cms tall if that helps at all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ask your coach what he sees your role as and what actions that entails so you can gauge your game on more than just kicks and handballs

Also when there is a stoppage in your forward 50 then man up on one of the oppo's best mids or follow one of your and they'll take you to the ball, giving you a look at how they do it

Thanks mate. Coach wants me more crumbing around the tall forwards and being a general annoying “mosquito” around the forward line. So your comments make sense, thank you.

so "pair" up with your main forward and get 3-5m in front of him when high balls come in and you're half a chance

Thanks, also, when it comes to forward defence, how far out should I be following my player out of the arc? Or would you say that’s completely dependent on the coaches strategy? This one has always confused me a bit. I feel I should always be sticking like glue defensively as long as I can push back to forward fast enough once turned over?

you need to follow them for as far as they go otherwise you're playing 1 less - make sense?

then try and lose them on the way back and cause an outnumber for your advantage

I know it's an old thread and OP might not even be playing anymore but I will throw in my 2 cents as it might help others. There is a few possible factors and things to consider.

Firstly if you're inexperienced with footy you lack the footy iQ and intuition others have, in particular positioning. Being in the right place at the right time. And it's not something that you get a lot of experience with at training, moreso game day. Keep thinking where you should be at all times, harder to do when you're tired. As above, as a small forward crumbing the big boys is your main goal. When the ball gets kicked into the forwardline you want to be around them for a crumb or handball in the event they don't mark it. Finding space to take grabs also helps but don't get in the way of the big boys who are the main targets. Making leads straight ahead is easy it's when you've burnt that space it gets harder, double back hard or go lateral - don't be afraid to push off your opponent. Starting close to goal and leading out is good because it gives you lots of room to work with but don't look to receive the ball close to goal - why pass to you if they can kick it over your head and score a goal? Try and watch good players in a similar role to understand where to be when, ultimately experience will be the best teacher on this one though.

Working hard athletically will see rewards especially in masters. Don't be afraid to run up the ground, sometimes your opponent wont follow you outside the 50m arc, which let's you roam free - especially if you're playing forward pocket. Playing up forward is great because it gives you the freedom to go anywhere, whereas as a defender you're always liable for your opponent. If there is a quick turnover and your team gets the ball without many in your forwardline a midfielder will always be happy to drop in to try and snag a goal - this is not always the case in the backline. Don't limit your positioning to the forwardline even if you are named in the pocket. A common issue of the forwardline is it being too crowded, don't be afraid to work up the ground and re enter once the ball comes in. You can also rush the centre square on ball ups, if the ball isn't coming to you go get in the action. Try and build your tank to outlast your opponent/s which will help you get into space.

Being efficient in front of goal is crucial. If you're a good kick for goal your teammates will hit you up more often. Make sure you develop a goal kicking routine and know your limits. Taking stupid snaps will piss off your teammates but they might not necessarily tell you - look for inbound passes in those instances. Kicking points is just burning the ball.

I can't emphasize the positioning enough, I think it's likely where you can make the most improvements.

Last edited:
I know it's an old thread and OP might not even be playing anymore but I will throw in my 2 cents as it might help others. There is a few possible factors and things to consider.

Firstly if you're inexperienced with footy you lack the footy iQ and intuition others have, in particular positioning. Being in the right place at the right time. And it's not something that you get a lot of experience with at training, moreso game day. Keep thinking where you should be at all times, harder to do when you're tired. As above, as a small forward crumbing the big boys is your main goal. When the ball gets kicked into the forwardline you want to be around them for a crumb or handball in the event they don't mark it. Finding space to take grabs also helps but don't get in the way of the big boys who are the main targets. Making leads straight ahead is easy it's when you've burnt that space it gets harder, double back hard or go lateral - don't be afraid to push off your opponent. Starting close to goal and leading out is good because it gives you lots of room to work with but don't look to receive the ball close to goal - why pass to you if they can kick it over your head and score a goal? Try and watch good players in a similar role to understand where to be when, ultimately experience will be the best teacher on this one though.

Working hard athletically will see rewards especially in masters. Don't be afraid to run up the ground, sometimes your opponent wont follow you outside the 50m arc, which let's you roam free - especially if you're playing forward pocket. Playing up forward is great because it gives you the freedom to go anywhere, whereas as a defender you're always liable for your opponent. If there is a quick turnover and your team gets the ball without many in your forwardline a midfielder will always be happy to drop in to try and snag a goal - this is not always the case in the backline. Don't limit your positioning to the forwardline even if you are named in the pocket. A common issue of the forwardline is it being too crowded, don't be afraid to work up the ground and re enter once the ball comes in. You can also rush the centre square on ball ups, if the ball isn't coming to you go get in the action. Try and build your tank to outlast your opponent/s which will help you get into space.

Being efficient in front of goal is crucial. If you're a good kick for goal your teammates will hit you up more often. Make sure you develop a goal kicking routine and know your limits. Taking stupid snaps will piss off your teammates but they might not necessarily tell you - look for inbound passes in those instances. Kicking points is just burning the ball.

I can't emphasize the positioning enough, I think it's likely where you can make the most improvements.
I'm about to finish my first season and I love this advice. I was put in the forward line and had no idea or instruction on what to do to the point the coach basically said to stand in the goal square (which admittedly worked). We eventually had an experienced player at CHF that pushed the HFF up to help the wing and brought the FP up to the 50m line, which allowed them to get at the feet of the CHF if the ball went to them, be running toward goal if the FF brought the ball to ground, or to become a link player on the HFF.

Once I knew where players were supposed to be it became a lot easier to plug holes when players were rotated. Situationally, I'm still learning but I'm a big fan of pushing up the ground and giving your FF space to work.

I'm about to finish my first season and I love this advice. I was put in the forward line and had no idea or instruction on what to do to the point the coach basically said to stand in the goal square (which admittedly worked). We eventually had an experienced player at CHF that pushed the HFF up to help the wing and brought the FP up to the 50m line, which allowed them to get at the feet of the CHF if the ball went to them, be running toward goal if the FF brought the ball to ground, or to become a link player on the HFF.

Once I knew where players were supposed to be it became a lot easier to plug holes when players were rotated. Situationally, I'm still learning but I'm a big fan of pushing up the ground and giving your FF space to work.

Yeah that's footy haha, no one tells you shiet when you first start or really even later on for that matter. Sometimes guys have been playing their whole lives so take a lot of things for granted. To be clear I'm probably on par with OP skill and experience wise so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Likewise I'm a big fan of pushing up the ground. One of our biggest issues is a congested forwardline so staying out of there until the ball has entered the 50m arc helps free things up. Remember wherever you go you typically drag your defender along with you so it can keep him out of there too - or lets you roam as a spare man in the midfield. I love the freedom of the forwardline vs the backline and having to be more accountable.

so "pair" up with your main forward and get 3-5m in front of him when high balls come in and you're half a chance

Do this. Being in front of them is ideal but if not just be close enough for a handball etc. Also when it comes to masters and low level footy every game multiple shots at goal will fall short, be ready for it - a lot of people are too relaxed and let crumbing opportunities go to waste.

Thanks, also, when it comes to forward defence, how far out should I be following my player out of the arc? Or would you say that’s completely dependent on the coaches strategy? This one has always confused me a bit. I feel I should always be sticking like glue defensively as long as I can push back to forward fast enough once turned over?

Follow them to the moon if you have to, there is no limit. People new to footy sometimes look at the team board like netball positioning and think they can't move out of position. Forward pocket or flank gives you heaps of freedom, at least one tall forward should stay forward. If you're in defence stay with your man at all times. In the event they turn over the ball you can run off and create options/offense but make sure you get back on your man if your team turns it over. Midfielders usually chase kicks and often aren't going to pick up your man if you're not on him - leaving them free.

Another note re positioning. Think of positioning in terms of average kick length/distance. You want to be a kick away from the ball or 2x kicks away from the ball etc. Taking into account some lead room and time for your teammate to take the kick. A deadzone exists when you're a bit too far away for a hand ball and too close to receive a kick. If you make a lead too early you burn space and end up not in a good position to receive the ball. If there is a ball up and you're not at the coal face then sit a kick back plus a few metres to take a run at the grab. Often inside mids only have time to whack it on the boot, hack kicking it forward and don't get to pick a teammate out. Also don't be afraid to double back, often people will drift up or make a lead then stay there - instead jog back and create more room for yourself to lead into. Positioning is a lot about creating space and utilizing it. Speaking of deadzones HF can be a really awkward position, often being a bit too close to receive a kick and you don't have room to move without getting in the way of the deeper forwards - this is especially an issue on smaller grounds.

I should also note footy can be a funny game in that you can do everything right and still not get the ball or influence the game much. But play smart and work hard and the rewards will definitely come, it's just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Yeah that's footy haha, no one tells you shiet when you first start or really even later on for that matter.
This is so true. My daughter started playing footy in the under 12s 5 years ago - she is now in the u18s and has never been taught the basics.

The coach plays her in the forward pocket, so I have been able to help her with positioning and because of it she finds herself in the right spot more often than not. The last few seasons I would talk to her about reading the play and knowing when to push up the ground and when to run back to the goal square, but is amazing how many players really have no idea where to stand and what to do.

Thanks you so much for the time taken to write this. I’ve only just stumbled across this now. Been a while since I’ve been in here. And yes, I’m still playing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back