Shield Match 11: South Australia vs Victoria, Adelaide Oval, 09-12 Feb, 11:00 AM AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

'Horrendous technique' against the short ball is not accurate.
Agree. You only have to watch closely how he addresses the short ball to see that. He looks comfortable not as some on here make out like a 'rabbit in the headlites'.

Victoria coach Chris Rogers has warned it's premature for people to suggest Will Pucovski walk away from top-level cricket in the wake of his latest concussion.

Not good signs tho Buck if heading a softish ball brings on a concussion when club medical officials said there was little chance of that when assessing whether Puc was to take part in the warm up 'sollyball' session or not.

Agree. You only have to watch closely how he addresses the short ball to see that. He looks comfortable not as some on here make out like a 'rabbit in the headlites'.

Victoria coach Chris Rogers has warned it's premature for people to suggest Will Pucovski walk away from top-level cricket in the wake of his latest concussion.

Not good signs tho Buck if heading a softish ball brings on a concussion when club medical officials said there was little chance of that when assessing whether Puc was to take part in the warm up 'sollyball' session or not.

He's got poor technique against short-pitched bowling. Gets himself in vulnerable positions/two minds too often despite nailing some good pull shots at other times.

People don't want it to be true

He's got poor technique against short-pitched bowling. Gets himself in vulnerable positions/two minds too often despite nailing some good pull shots at other times.

People don't want it to be true

I believe those two are the only occurrences of him being hit in the head by short balls in first class cricket. Smith got hit more times in the 2019 Ashes than Pucovski has his whole career. It's easy to look at individual incidents in isolation and say he can't play the short ball but the history doesn't back it up.

The 10+ accidental head knocks from seemingly random incidents are more of an issue to work out.

I believe those two are the only occurrences of him being hit in the head by short balls in first class cricket. Smith got hit more times in the 2019 Ashes than Pucovski has his whole career. It's easy to look at individual incidents in isolation and say he can't play the short ball but the history doesn't back it up.

The 10+ accidental head knocks from seemingly random incidents are more of an issue to work out.

He's had 11 concussions, how many of them from batting in games/practice?

Even in this Shield game he got hit on the forearm by David Grant who is developing into a handy bowler but is hardly express and bowling on a placid pitch.

Some people seem to be going to great lengths to avoid what is unfortunately staring us in the face

And the worry is that he's had these issues at lower levels. He hasn't even had to face the fastest/best bowlers yet for an extended period.

He's had 11 concussions, how many of them from batting in games/practice?

Even in this Shield game he got hit on the forearm by David Grant who is developing into a handy bowler but is hardly express and bowling on a placid pitch.

Some people seem to be going to great lengths to avoid what is unfortunately staring us in the face

And the worry is that he's had these issues at lower levels. He hasn't even had to face the fastest/best bowlers yet for an extended period.
Well these are the concussions that I can find have been reported:
1. Playing football.
2. Struck by a ball that was hit at him by a batsman in an adjacent net at training.
3. Hit his head on a door.
4. Hit in the head by a batsman while fielding in a first class game.
5. Fell over running between the wickets.
6. Hit by by Sean Abbott.
7. Hit by Kartik Tyagi
8. Hit by soft ball during warm up.

There's something really ingrained in these Vic cricket fans about wanting a Victorian batsman in the test team. It's been about 100 years since they've had that.

Every other state has had successful test batsmen in modern times but they have not and it gets to them.

They thought Pucovski was a lock to play test cricket for 10+ years and average 60.

Most now accept that's not going to happen and have switched to try and protect his legacy with this short pitched weakness denial, it's really a bit weird.

Obvious as anything he has a massive issue. Players nowadays hide behind the “I’ve got a helmet who cares if I’m hit”. Perhaps they should have to bat without helmets bet they’d watch the ball more closely

There's something really ingrained in these Vic cricket fans about wanting a Victorian batsman in the test team. It's been about 100 years since they've had that.

Every other state has had successful test batsmen in modern times but they have not and it gets to them.

They thought Pucovski was a lock to play test cricket for 10+ years and average 60.

Most now accept that's not going to happen and have switched to try and protect his legacy with this short pitched weakness denial, it's really a bit weird.
Nah, Pucovski should retire if that's what is best for his health. But it is an undisputable fact that his concussion history has very little to do with short pitched bowling.

Nah, Pucovski should retire if that's what is best for his health. But it is an undisputable fact that his concussion history has very little to do with short pitched bowling.
Yep, it's time for the authorities to step in and take the decision out of his hands. I imagine he'd be uninsurable at this stage, and he's at risk to himself and to Cricket Australia. Bad luck for the lad, but that's the way it goes.

It really is a shame. He really is a once in a generation player. For both his precocious batting ability and his susceptibility to concussion.
I can't say I agree with the statement that he is susceptible to short bowling. I've seen him a few times in the Premier Comp and he hasn't looked to have a a particular weakness to short pitched bowling. Plenty of the quicker bowlers in the Premier Comp have tried. Just watching the couple of videos where he is hit, (it can happen to anyone) he could get some coaching from Ian Redpath about avoiding getting hit by balls by learning how to sway out of the road rather than ducking. He was the best I've seen at doing that.

Last edited:

Where he is from is irrelevant. I thought everyone appreciates his rare talent and wishes the best for him. Only disturbed people would wish otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have not read any comments like that.

There was sledging in here during the game but that has not flowed into the Pucovski conversation.
No, you've made them. Sit down and shut up.

This is but one of your malevolent and pig swill ignorant posts that eth-dog may have been referring to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back