Shield Match 21: South Australia vs New South Wales, Karen Rolton Oval

Will NSW make the final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

SA won the toss and elected to bat, New South Wales need to win and hope WA don't win to make the final, SA need to win to possibly avoid the spoon.

SA side:

Hunt (c)
Carder
McSweeney
Lehmann
T Kelly
Nielsen (+)
Scott
McAndrew
Worrall
Doggett
Buckingham

Gone with 4 front line seamers plus Scott, McSweeney the only part time spinner in the top 6.

NSW side:

Nikitaras
Hackney
Gilkes
J Sangha (c)
Hearne
Edwards
Holt (+)
Tremain
Copeland
Conway
T Sangha

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
The CA website have SA opening the batting with former QLD Fire rookie Taylah Brotherston. Quite the transition for her given she hasn't played for the Queensland Womens team since 2016.

Screenshot 2022-03-23 114105.png

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Also eth-dog I think from your team list Worrall isn't playing with Bailey Capel opening the batting.

Also eth-dog I think from your team list Worrall isn't playing with Bailey Capel opening the batting.

I was going off cricinfo due to the Taylah Brotherston thing

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
There's a concerning amount of Rory Burns in Nikitaras' batting stance.

RedTinMania

Senior List
Oct 16, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does anyone know which SA Grade Club Doggett is tied to? To my knowledge, he never played a grade game this season.

Glenelg. Played one or two 50 over games for them this season and nothing else, although to be fair he was out for a while with a dodgy hamstring

Buckingham looks alright, but this was a massive missed oppurtunity to play Spencer Johnson imo. Having seen them both play for West Torrens this year, Johnson is slightly quicker, bowls left arm, and is a South Australian local product. Should have played Shield cricket a good couple of years ago if he wasn't unfortunately so injury prone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Glenelg. Played one or two 50 over games for them this season and nothing else, although to be fair he was out for a while with a dodgy hamstring

Buckingham looks alright, but this was a massive missed oppurtunity to play Spencer Johnson imo. Having seen them both play for West Torrens this year, Johnson is slightly quicker, bowls left arm, and is a South Australian local product. Should have played Shield cricket a good couple of years ago if he wasn't unfortunately so injury prone

Cheers. Johnson born in SA, Buckingham born in Victoria. The interstater always gets the nod.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United

Agree would've preferred SJ. Buckingham gets picked so they can justify recruiting him.

At least T Kelly is finally picked, looking forward to seeing how he goes.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Edwards, another massive innings of 5 against a popgun attack. How is it possible to play an entire season as a batsman and average 16?
Embarrassing hasnt scored a 50 in his last 33 FC innings.

Seriously Cricket NSW must be asleep at the wheel.

If he is currently in the top 6 batsman in the state thats available then our batting depth not only in NSW but Australia is in huge trouble in 5 years.

My goodness, it looks like the best SA can expect is yet another draw.

To say this is a weakened NSW side is an understatement.

Nice to see Sangha get a ton. Made such a promising start to his career and then fell away. He is still a young fella and has time on his side.

Rabish Binney

Left out overnight
Sep 7, 2021
Off the land, rural SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt; Man City
Embarrassing hasnt scored a 50 in his last 33 FC innings.

Seriously Cricket NSW must be asleep at the wheel.

If he is currently in the top 6 batsman in the state thats available then our batting depth not only in NSW but Australia is in huge trouble in 5 years.
I recall Kerry O'Keefe pumping up his tyres big time about 12 months ago.

Not to worry though - just means that the SACA will recruit him to SA next year and he will be amongst the first picked in our shield side.

I recall Kerry O'Keefe pumping up his tyres big time about 12 months ago.

Not to worry though - just means that the SACA will recruit him to SA next year and he will be amongst the first picked in our shield side.

I really think the SACA needs a dramatic rethink on their pitches - not just AO and Karen Roadton - but their grade pitches as well.

SA players have been soft for decades, wanting roads to bat on. Umpteen SA bowlers have had their hearts broken on pitches that are Pakistan.

What is the way forward? Immediately sack curators from Roadton or the AO.

Let's face it. Les Burdett has been a pox on SA cricket..

NSW eliminated thanks to Beau Webster?
Nope. If Tassie win they go to 31.19 with an average of 3.88 points/game, NSW are currently 21, if they get 3 more wickets in the 100 overs and win they still beat Tassie.

Last edited:

Lia

Club Legend
Jan 12, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Three decent matches in a row for Jason Sangha, hopefully he keeps this consistency habit.

Back