Shield Match 8: Victoria vs New South Wales, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Friday 05/11-Monday 09/11/2021, 10:30 AM AEDT

More points?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

losing your wicket to Edwards, that's a paddlin'

He’s actually bowled quite well, which is surprising given he’s only medium pace and his action has always looked a little flippity floppity at best

Who did Dan Solway piss off to get shafted from the NSW contract list for this bunch? None of these NSW kids look ready for Shield cricket. Solway wasn't the prettiest on the eye but he was gritty and years of grade cricket runs against men had him ready for Shield almost immediately. Sangha has had chances on and off for 4 years now and he still can't mix cut itt this level.
Yeah there was a fair bit of controversy about us dumping him and Larkin for kids.

I get it with Larkin as he's been around forever and still only averages around 30, but Solway was in a good age bracket and would've been a good head to have while the kids develop. He wasn't great in 2021 admittedly but his historic grade/Futures record is great and he had a good enough 2020 that he honestly felt like a smokey for an international callup. And of the kids the only one I feel confident in being a player is Hearne (and Davies if you banned bowling over 130km/h). Very, very questionable decision.

Let Sangha play grade cricket FFS. Destroying his confidence is not in the best interest of his development or Australian cricket
His grade cricket record is pretty awesome yet he's still struggling here, I'm honestly not sure how much this would help at this point. Honestly think his best strategy is to head elsewhere in 2022/23 and crack another side's state side through weight of runs ala Maddinson.

Frankly I think the best strategy for NSW short-term is go full troll and turn the SCG into Taunton 2.0. Lyon + Tanveer Sangha would be dangerous as hell on said wickets and it'll mitigate our otherwise awful batting. Obsentively it seems counter-inituative to make our batting even worse but at least this way we might get results beyond "let Moises bail NSW out every time" by turning each match into a lottery rather than hoping that our batting miraculously improves. And could help Oz cricket in subcontinential conditions.

His grade cricket record is pretty awesome yet he's still struggling here, I'm honestly not sure how much this would help at this point.

Reminds me of Matt Renshaw from the back end 2018 to the end of the 2020 season. Got figured out by bowlers at shield level and averaged 20 but every time he went back to Toombul he would absolutely hammer runs all over the place. I think he had 4 100's, a double and a triple 100 in consecutive 2 day premier cricket innings at one point. No idea what Sangha needs to do but I don't think batting at 3 is going to do him any favours at this stage.

If anybody's keen to meet up tomorrow I should get there around lunch, hopefully we haven't rolled them by then, but with no Patterson I don't like my chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let Sangha play grade cricket FFS. Destroying his confidence is not in the best interest of his development or Australian cricket

Absolutely. If they’d let him play 3 seasons of grade/ 2nd 11 there’s a good chance he would be in a much better position to have a good FC career.

The SA team of the last 2 years would almost start favourites against NSW right now

At this stage does any one know the plans for the future shield fixture? As we all know each state plays each other twice but this season we will have NSW v Victoria playing each other 3 times.

His grade cricket record is pretty awesome yet he's still struggling here
Sangha was rushed into first class cricket after starring in underage national white ball cricket yet with only a handful of club red ball matches behind him. He had scored that ton in an England tour match.. the second youngest to do so after Tendulkar and with it came the inevitable pressure of expectation from the media, "the next Bradman" etc. Some cricketers can handle pressure some can not. I believe Sangha is one that does not and it shows in his consistent low shield scores despite having a sound technique. Not sure where he goes from here. Shame as he is still only 22.

In Sangha's defense he has virtually opened in both the past two matches as new skipper Patterson has moved him to First Drop where I dont believe he has ever batted before. He has had a couple of dubious dismissals too. There looked to be daylite between bat and ball from that snorter by Pattinson yesterday. But as DRS is not used in Shield he had to go.

Last edited:
Give the Vic quicks credit where due. Led by the terrific James Pattinson they all bowled at the stumps and nailed their length to perfection. Did the Blues. Our bowling coach is a waste of space.

I'd sure like Pete Handscomb to find his best form as that may just solve our captaincy conundrum. He has improved his technigue since his Test sacking and at 30 is still in his prime. Would fit in as opener or our middle order very neatly.

Umm not yet Bagg's...still not convinced with Handscomb technique and its great to see him back scoring runs... For me he needs a great shield season to even be considered for a test berth

If he can keep it up in the shield he could come back into the test team for the sub continent tours/odi .....as he is a good player against spin but I still have serious reservations for him against pace....that lack of a front foot gives me nightmares

Give the Vic quicks credit where due. Led by the terrific James Pattinson they all bowled at the stumps and nailed their length to perfection. Did the Blues. Our bowling coach is a waste of space.

I'd sure like Pete Handscomb to find his best form as that may just solve our captaincy conundrum. He has improved his technigue since his Test sacking and at 30 is still in his prime. Would fit in as opener or our middle order very neatly.
Opening isn't his go. I'd vastly prefer him at 4 or 5; he's a wonderful player of spin, and while Smith is the preferred 4 he's almost a no.3 anyway, given our issues elsewhere in the order. We genuinely need to find 5 and 6, and to get over our issues concerning a captain batting at 5. I can remember Clarke copping all sorts of s**t because he refused to bat higher, despite averaging absurd figures at 5.

I don't think Handscomb's done, but we need to expect a mite more from him for CA to be willing to promote him (1) and for him to both perform enough and be consistent enough to become captain (2).

Back