Shield Match 9: Tasmania v Western Australia , Hobart, Nov 21-24 , 10:30 AM AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
If you could ask Neil-Smith & Silk who they'd least want to face right now they'd absolutely say Richardson, and based off his previous spell Green would probably be no.2. Instead they let the game drift.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
If you could ask Neil-Smith & Silk who they'd least want to face right now they'd absolutely say Richardson, and based off his previous spell Green would probably be no.2. Instead they let the game drift.
Taking Green off straight after he picked up a wicket with a moving ball was mindboggling. He should have stayed on with Richardson brought on at the other end

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
We're really missing Paris and Morris as other genuine wicket taking options.
Things have definitely fallen Tassies way this game. They’ve been absolutely nowhere near it for 3 and a half days and will end up with the chocolates

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
On the other side, this is a good 4th innings chase by Tassie and a mature match winning knock by Silk. Neil-Smith too has looked quite composed in a potentially tricky situation and continued to tick the scoring over - not getting stuck and putting all the scoring pressure on Silk.

Granted he's (or both tbf) been helped by some queer choices for bowlers at certain times, he's still managed the situation with great composure and looked good.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
On the other side, this is a good 4th innings chase by Tassie and a mature match winning knock by Silk. Neil-Smith too has looked quite composed in a potentially tricky situation and continued to tick the scoring over - not getting stuck and putting all the scoring pressure on Silk.

Granted he's (or both tbf) been helped by some queer choices for bowlers at certain times, he's still managed the situation with great composure and looked good.
Reminded me of the Indian test last summer with Pant. There didn’t seem to be a whole lot of opportunities for wickets and you could see the game drifting when McDermott and Silk were in. Didn’t really look hard to bat at all for the most part and they just meandered along with little pressure. You sensed very early on that it was going to take Richardson tearing through them, but he didn’t really get much of an opportunity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Love declaring twice and still losing.
Bit of a smash and grab from Tassie. The only one that really deserved it was Silk, because apart from him the only reason they were in the game was because WA was chasing the win themselves

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Reminded me of the Indian test last summer with Pant. There didn’t seem to be a whole lot of opportunities for wickets and you could see the game drifting when McDermott and Silk were in. Didn’t really look hard to bat at all for the most part and they just meandered along with little pressure. You sensed very early on that it was going to take Richardson tearing through them, but he didn’t really get much of an opportunity
Green was threatening in his spell and was getting great inswing, Richardson was also great in his second to last spell.

Both were very short, though. Both only 3 overs if I recall correctly. Absolute daft captaincy to take them off right when they were each looking most dangerous. It's exactly what Tasmania would've wanted WA to do.

The only thing I can think of is maybe CA has given them spell/over limits? That'd be pretty frustrating if so.

Fwiw I'm not a WA or Tas fan, I'm from Adelaide and have lived in QLD so don't really care about either side. Just very curious strategy by WA.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
One other thing I did notice is that towards the end of that innings Phillippe let himself down keeping, giving away a few byes. Probably wasn't in the top 2 or 3 to be picked for the test team but nevertheless he should be trying to knock the door down. Letting byes in like that isn't going to help.

They weren't shocking misses and were bad balls, but you'd expect your keeper to stop most of them.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
FFS terrible way to lose after declaring twice

yes I have a go at Voges but this game sums up why I believe he is not the right man for the job
And yet, we're still on top of the ladder in both the Shield and Marsh cup.
Yes I know we've played more games.

I don't rate Voges either, but you can't blame him every time we lose.
We were a bowler short and have also Smarsh and Paris out injured.

How many overs did we give them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back