AFLW Match Thread - Dogs vs Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoyed the game like last week We certainly had the ball enough in our 50. Great goal by Fitzgerald. It actually bounced the right way. Ellie was fantastic as usual. Admirable leader of the team. Huntington 9 marks. Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

The standard of AFLW continues to rise by 10-20% each year. Tonight's game was mostly scrappy and frustrating ... but then I always find a game frustrating when we aren't winning handsomely!

What I've noticed has changed for our side this year is that hands in-close are better, especially the vision and the handball to a player in a bit more space. This means there are fewer stoppages and we play a faster game. I also think the midfielders are better at finding clear space through traffic and are able to get a decent kick downfield.

I know not everybody is a Nathan Burke fan but if he's responsible for those two areas of improvement then he's done well.

We tripled our score in the final quarter while Geelong kicked one point. I thought our girls really increased the intensity and pressure in close after 3QT and it paid off on the scoreboard. Having said that, both final quarter goals were great individual efforts with players beating the off-side trap (as it were). McLeod's, however, was the direct culmination of good work upfield, including the final pass from the amazing Ellie Blackburn.

Well done Doggies. If we can keep these players together the future looks good.

Frustrating for 85% of the match but overall a good night and most importantly we got the 4 points.

Blackburn is on another level, Lamb and Huntington as always excellent while Berry and Gamble were important.

Fitzgerald is already a star and is only 18, that chain that led to her goal was one of the best in AFLW history.

Didn’t hear the commentators mention her that much but I thought Hartwig was outstanding with her efficiency, speed and pressure. Getting better and better with each game.

Our defence was incredible with the amount of easy entries we let in. I also thought Ferres played her best game for the club.

You might be surprised to learn that Grant only played 55% of the match but I thought she looked a natural out there and went at 75% from her 8 disposals.

Now as always here are some rarely published stats…

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
30 - Moody (14/3)
20 - Rennie (11/2)
3 - Toogood (1/1)

Hitouts To Advantage

GE: 2
WB: 6

First Possessions
GE: 18
WB: 27

Effective Clearances
GE: 15
WB: 18

Tackle Efficiency
GE: 75%
WB: 72%

Forward Half Contested Marks
GE: 3
WB: 3

Score Launches
2 - Gamble
1 - Blackburn, Ferres, Fitzgerald, Grant, Hartwig, Huntington, Moody

Shots At Goal
GE: 5 (20%)

WB: 11 (27%)

Targets Inside 50
6 - Huntington
3 - Toogood
2 - Berry, McLeod, Morris-Dalton
1 - Blackburn, Fitzgerald, Lochland, Moody

Turnovers Punished By Goals
0 - FANTASTIC

Pressure Gauge
GE: 211 (Elite)
WB: 217 (Elite

Champion Data Ranking Points/Supercoach Points
201 - Blackburn
154 - Lamb
125 - Huntington
111 - Ferres
95 - Gamble
94 - Lochland
93 - Newton
93 - Berry
89 - Gogos
85 - Fitzgerald
70 - Hartwig
68 - Georgostathis
65 - Moody
61 - Rennie
57 - Brown
53 - Lynch
51 - McLeod
45 - Grant
37 - Guest
30 - Toogood
27 - Morris-Dalton

Score Sources
Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 10.11.14 pm.png

Free Kick Summary
Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 10.11.04 pm.png

Last edited:
Frustrating for 85% of the match but overall a good night and most importantly we got the 4 points.

Blackburn is on another level, Lamb and Huntington as always excellent while Berry and Gamble were important.

Fitzgerald is already a star and is only 18, that chain that led to her goal was one of the best in AFLW history.

Didn’t hear the commentators mention her that much but I thought Hartwig was outstanding with her efficiency, speed and pressure. Getting better and better with each game.

Our defence was incredible with the amount of easy entries we let in. I also thought Ferres played her best game for the club.

You might be surprised to learn that Grant only played 55% of the match but I thought she looked a natural out there and went at 75% from her 8 disposals.

30 - Moody (14/3)
20 - Rennie (1/2)
3 - Toogood (1/1)

Hitouts To Advantage

First Possessions

Effective Clearances

Tackle Efficiency

Score Launches
2 - Gamble

Shots At Goal

Targets Inside 50
6 - Huntington
3 - Toogood

0 - FANTASTIC

Pressure Gauge

201 - Blackburn
154 - Lamb
125 - Huntington
111 - Ferres
95 - Gamble
94 - Lochland
93 - Newton
93 - Berry
89 - Gogos
85 - Fitzgerald
70 - Hartwig
68 - Georgostathis
65 - Moody
61 - Rennie
57 - Brown
53 - Lynch
51 - McLeod
45 - Grant
37 - Guest
30 - Toogood
27 - Morris-Dalton

Score Sources
View attachment 1056549

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1056550
Thanks OG.
Just a question about the hitout stats: are hitouts to advantage over and above the basic hitouts or are they included? In other words did Moody get 17 HOs in total or just 14?

From the numbers ascribed to Rennie I'm assuming that it's in addition (ie Moody got 17 and Rennie got 3 HOs in total).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks OG.
Just a question about the hitout stats: are hitouts to advantage over and above the basic hitouts or are they included? In other words did Moody get 17 HOs in total or just 14?

From the numbers ascribed to Rennie I'm assuming that it's in addition (ie Moody got 17 and Rennie got 3 HOs in total).

No they are included, Moody had 14 hitouts of which 3 were to advantage.

No they are included, Moody had 14 hitouts of which 3 were to advantage.
So how did Rennie get 1 hitout, 2 of which were to advantage?

I'm not trying to be a smartarse, just trying to decipher the numbers. :)

30 - Moody (14/3)
20 - Rennie (11/2)
3 - Toogood (1/1)

Hitouts To Advantage

First Possessions

Effective Clearances

Tackle Efficiency

Score Launches
2 - Gamble

Shots At Goal

Targets Inside 50
6 - Huntington
3 - Toogood

0 - FANTASTIC

Pressure Gauge

201 - Blackburn
154 - Lamb
125 - Huntington
111 - Ferres
95 - Gamble
94 - Lochland
93 - Newton
93 - Berry
89 - Gogos
85 - Fitzgerald
70 - Hartwig
68 - Georgostathis
65 - Moody
61 - Rennie
57 - Brown
53 - Lynch
51 - McLeod
45 - Grant
37 - Guest
30 - Toogood
27 - Morris-Dalton

Score Sources
View attachment 1056549

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1056550

Thanks for this

Just wondering how long the women’s careers are likely to last. They don’t make a living out of it as it’s not full time like the men’s game. Plus it’s a punishing game on the body. Would five or six seasons be the maximum? (I guess we’ll have to wait and see 😉)

I once lived within earshot of a couple who seemed to have a fairly tempestuous relationship. Every night you would hear it play out, first the drinking, then a screaming match, then he would beat her up. She lasted over a decade no trouble so the AFL girls should be good for up to 15 years on that basis. They may need to drink heavily though to help them bear the pain. 😳

As an aside to the violent relationship being played out nightly….I had one brief incident when I picked my girlfriend up in a rage and threw her on the bed and screamed at her to stop nagging me. After years of the neighbourhood turning a deaf ear to the violence in the other place, you guessed it, we were attended by the Police within minutes, which probably saved my life as my ex was probably about to kill me. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back