AFLW Match Thread - Dogs vs Demons

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
That was an enjoyable game of Aussie Rules football - skills were good considering the high level of pressure from both sides. Appropriate that Izzy Huntington wears the number 4 - a little bit of Bont in her game, and for the 2nd game in a row no 23 Fitzy shows she is something special - she has some Stevie J like skills.

Katie lynch an absolute gun defender along with brown, their amazing decision making , calculated courage and great composure are an amazing gift to the team, love this team go dogs

Hannah Scott deserves a mention too. Tough as nuts.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can anyone elaborate more on Brown's game? Didn't get to watch today but I've been waiting for her to come good
In the past she has fumbled a little and seemed rushed but today her ball handling was much cleaner and she was composed. She didn't hesitate and set up a few attacks. She appeared confident out there so maybe the decision by the coaches to keep playing her has given her some belief. A very good game from Elenor today.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Elsa Brown and Gabby Newton have taken a few big steps in the four games this year. With every win the confidence grows and I really think we have the talent to beat anyone on our day. The two flags by end of 2024 goal that was mentioned could be on the money.

Between Izzy, McLeod, Fitzy, Lochland, and Toogood, our forward line has a good mix and out defence is holding up well.

We should beat the Giants as well.

Elsa Brown and Gabby Newton have taken a few big steps in the four games this year. With every win the confidence grows and I really think we have the talent to beat anyone on our day. The two flags by end of 2024 goal that was mentioned could be on the money.

Between Izzy, McLeod, Fitzy, Lochland, and Toogood, our forward line has a good mix and out defence is holding up well.

We should beat the Giants as well.

Need to win a flag before the new teams come in.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
I just read this comment below on twitter from some loser and thought seriously grow up mate, that was a fantastic game.

"Just watched AFLW Melb v Bulldogs. I know everybody talks the game up, however, seriously. Can't kick, handball or just play football. First and last time."

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
The guy who wrote that is a total loser tbh. I went to the game and watched how tough those two teams were. Truly amazing. In the third quarter I saw AND HEARD (50m away) this bump between two bulldogs and two demons and the sound was actually painful to hear. That brainless twat should have been right in the middle to get totally smashed. The marks, the handballs, the kicks, tackles (62 a piece IIRC) and the goals were amazing. Go Girls this was a really great game to watch. Not to mention the improvement right across the competition. Melbourne are a really good side and play really good footy. Loved it this afternoon. will be there next week again.

IN MY CANTRY IDIOT SPEAK LIKE THIS ONE I KILL HIM FAKEN!

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Hannah Scott deserves a mention too. Tough as nuts.
The whole two teams were as tough as nails. I am impressed by how fast the skill levels improved today, in spite of the amazing pressure both teams showed. and these women are really tough. can't wait till next week. also watching it at the ground, it reminded me of the days when libba, mchpherson, Dougy, et al used to play. great enjoyment. thanks you girls.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Me and my 3.5 year old daughter are completely hooked on the girls. She scrolls their photos on the app after every game. She can’t stop talking about “Ellie Blackburn.”

If our AFL team played with the hardness, desire and edge that these girls do, we’d never lose a game.

That Sheppard by lamb 😲

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry for the lateness it's been a busy day.

It was finally nice to win a game from goal accuracy as we had no right to win that but as I've been saying for years goal accuracy is just about the most important stat to win. Melbourne was outstanding...

+18: First Possession
+21: Contested Possession
+17: Clearances
+19: Inside 50s
+7: Shots

Just one problem...

-54%: Shot Accuracy

The game should've been over at QT but we kept fighting and it paid off. I thought our kicking both in front of goal and during general play was outstanding today. Scott back in the side was just what we needed and frankly we've missed her impact badly, 12 kicks at 92% with 411 metres gained. Blackburn struggled in the first quarter but like champions do she found a way in the second half and kicked one of the goals of the year and had 325 metres gained in the second half alone.

Fitzgerald has to be favourite for the Rising Star and Lynch had her career best game and is becoming an essential part of our defence. It was fantastic seeing our first and second year players playing impactful footy with Georgosthis dominating the first quarter and Hartwig is getting better and better each week, her pressure is elite and is by far our best tackler. I'm also liking Lochland on the wing.

Huntington is just pure class and will surely give Blackburn a run for her money in the B&F, her marking is on another level (literally) and her kicking is elite.

We are now a big chance for the 6 and we should be able to knock over the Giants on Saturday which will hopefully be another sell out. We had the biggest crowd of the round and both of our home games this year have been a sell out.

Now as always here are some of the lesser known published stats...

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
36 - Rennie (16/5)
19 - Moody (7/2)
3 - Toogood (0/0)
2 - Marshall (0/0)

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 7
ME: 7

First Possessions
WB: 18
ME: 36

Clearances/Effective Clearances
WB: 15/14
ME: 32/21

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 64%
ME: 77%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 1
ME: 3

Score Launches
1 - Berry, Brown, Lamb, Lynch, McLeod, Newton, Rennie

Shots At Goal
WB: 9 (67%)

ME: 16 (13%)

Targets Inside 50
6 - Toogood
3 - Huntington
2 - Marshall
1 - Blackburn, Fitzgerald, McLeod, Newton

Turnovers Punished By Goals
0 - TWO WEEKS IN A ROW

Pressure Gauge
WB: 215 (Elite)
ME: 206 (Above Average)

Champion Data Ranking Points/Supercoach Points
137 - Scott
135 - Fitzgerald
121 - Blackburn
103 - Lynch
101 - Huntington
99 - Guest
95 - Hartwig
94 - Lochland
90 - Lamb
79 - Rennie
76 - Berry
75 - Brown
70 - Toogood
69 - Georgostathis
67 - Gamble
63 - Newton
45 - Ferres
40 - Grant
40 - Marshall
39 - McLeod
29 - Moody

Free Kick Summary
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 10.38.07 pm.png

Score Sources
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 10.38.22 pm.png

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Caught the replay after work. Amazing game. Defences win premierships and we have a hell of a defence for the future. Hunt back in next week is huge, and also puts Lochland back forward - Huntington, Toogood, McLeod and Lochland are big enough threats without Blackburn and Fitzgerald throwing their names in as well. I had 0 expectations this season but I think we can make finals now.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Me and my 3.5 year old daughter are completely hooked on the girls. She scrolls their photos on the app after every game. She can’t stop talking about “Ellie Blackburn.”

If our AFL team played with the hardness, desire and edge that these girls do, we’d never lose a game.

That Sheppard by lamb 😲

And this sheppard by Scott

Haven’t seen our boys lay the opposition out like that in a very long time.

Do you know why she’s not played until now? No mention of an injury. She’s always been a good player. Got a great long kick on her too which is massive in the AFLW.
She has been injured, not sure what though. Commentators mentioned it during the game, maybe calf or hamstring. Think it was leg related...

Do you know why she’s not played until now? No mention of an injury. She’s always been a good player. Got a great long kick on her too which is massive in the AFLW.

To be honest I didn't know she hadn't.

She hurt her shoulder in the 3rd quarter after a contest (might have even been that shepherd), but was able to continue. Don't know if that's a sore spot, but she wasn't strapped up or anything.

The whole two teams were as tough as nails. I am impressed by how fast the skill levels improved today, in spite of the amazing pressure both teams showed. and these women are really tough. can't wait till next week. also watching it at the ground, it reminded me of the days when libba, mchpherson, Dougy, et al used to play. great enjoyment. thanks you girls.

Anyone surprised at the toughness hasn't played netball at the lowest level. I tell the other half some stories and he thinks I'm embellishing it!

And this sheppard by Scott

Haven’t seen our boys lay the opposition out like that in a very long time.

Our boys don’t shepherd as they are running for the handball receive. Would love to see more protection for the ball carrier in the squad.

Back