"Match worn guernsey" rorts

Remove this Banner Ad

I have two Stevie J match worn jumpers. One had been in a box in someones shed for a few months and the smell cleared the office when I opened the parcel at work. It has grippo smears which match up with something he did early on in the game.
If I found out that either of them werent actually worn during play as advertised, I would be absolutely filthy. If they were premiership jumpers and I found out they hadnt been worn, Id be getting Tracey Grimshaw on the phone.

Another similar question....

The replica jersey signed by all the team, retail for about 2k framed, post a GF win. Usually framed with a photo inside as well.

Do you think the players actually individually sign all these jerseys or are they mass printed somehow?

I’ve tried to view a few to see if a players sig is all in the same spot etc.

Yeah North do it as well, after special games, like Boomers 400, Record breaker, Petries 300 they action "Match worn" jumpers but they include players who didn't even get picked in that game.

The replica jersey signed by all the team, retail for about 2k framed, post a GF win. Usually framed with a photo inside as well.

Do you think the players actually individually sign all these jerseys or are they mass printed somehow?

I've seen clubs do 'mass signing sessions' where a bunch of s**t gets passed around and players sit there with textas signing anything that is put in front of them.

Brett Cook once signed the same jumper twice. Huge signature right in the middle - twice.

Clearly they stop paying attention after a while.

Dodongo got a Harris Andrews match worn jumper two years ago against one of the WA teams. It was definitely worn because it wasn't washed and well, when Dodongo opened the cylinder it was in, it reeked. Dodongo knew it was genuine

Clearly untrue.

The suggestion that a Brisbane player worked up a sweat during a game is laughable.

they basically line all the players up around a couple of tables and pass them through. Since they are footballers there will normally be a few mistakes, ie: player signed twice or players missing. But it will be officially certified so i'm not sure it matters too much?

I've seen clubs do 'mass signing sessions' where a bunch of s**t gets passed around and players sit there with textas signing anything that is put in front of them.

Brett Cook once signed the same jumper twice. Huge signature right in the middle - twice.

i've got one of the freo team from awhile back and we used to play a game to try and work out all the signatures. If you can get 80% of them your doing pretty well.

I think Richmond did try and auction off the actual match worn jumpers, but in the end only three players let their jumper go. The rest refused to give it up, which is fair enough.
I'll stand corrected.

Only three players changed their jumpers st half time, so 19 ‘match worn’ jumpers had to be pulled from the auction. Similar as to what happened this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gavin Wanganeen and (i think Bourgoyne?) 2004 premiership guernseys were stolen from the changerooms that very day

A couple years ago an anonymous person called Port and said they had it, and dropped it back to them after they played a Docklands game - Port made a video about it

Makes you wonder the motive to steal in first place... not exactly gonna be able to sell it or let everyone know you have it?

Yeah it’s hard to argue otherwise when multiple clubs have been caught out doing the same thing

Yeah they get caught but AFLHQ has too many friends in high places for anything to be done about it. The only time a club ever got properly hammered was by WADA and only after the AFL had tried to rig the outcome and also "work" ASADA.

This is misleading and deceptive conduct prohibited under State and Federal law - it is making false claims about product attributes.

Well hell, they might as well take advantage and auction off claret versions as well....Can even come with an authentic signed medical certificate declaring no pathogens....

85bd7e8b72497e55612c9ec01c506cf8.jpg

Last edited:
This one was discovered by a few smart types on the Footy Jumpers & Graphic Design board, and I wondered if anybody else had an experience to share.

West Coast auctioned off (or are in the process of doing) the players' actual match jumpers from the Grand Final.

Now of course, when a player wins a flag you're not going to get his GF jumper off him... so the theory is there were multiple jumpers and players changed at half-time. The auctions started.

Until a few clued-in posters worked out that few - if any - of the players changed jumpers. Photos and stills from the match footage show players clearly wearing jumpers with the same stains on them right throughout the match. And those jumpers remain in the players' possession.

Apparently the players have better things to do at half time of a GF than change jumpers so that the club can squeeze a few more quid out of a flag in the event they win. Who'd have thunk

So West Coast were forced to re-start the auctions, this time admitting the jumpers weren't match-worn, but "player issue" - ie they sat folded-up in the kit man's bag in case there was a blood rule etc.

Pretty dodgy.

Now it's not a shot at West Coast, because apparently Richmond did the same thing last year and were pulled up on it, admitting only 3 of the 22 jumpers were actually match-worn.

Somebody else mentioned it's been going on for years, right back to Collingwood in 2010.

Is this something clubs have been trying forever? Has anybody been ripped off by one of these schemes? Or did you get a legit one and all was good?
On a serious note that is a violation under consumer law... If the article being purchased is clearly not what it was advertised as.

Can't see the ACCC banging down any doors about it though

I would imagine it’s more to do with clubs not really giving a s**t.

Not that hard to get it right but chances are nobody working there is really looking that hard or expecting jumper nerds to know the difference.

Sort it out though, it’s not that hard!

Dodongo got a Harris Andrews match worn jumper two years ago against one of the WA teams. It was definitely worn because it wasn't washed and well, when Dodongo opened the cylinder it was in, it reeked. Dodongo knew it was genuine

Yeah I got a Harris one this year too.

Confirmed reeked

A part of the AFLPA employment agreement is players make themselves available for X hours of promotional work, Y hours of autographs, etc.

Some of the higher paid may be expected to do more.

Some like Buddy get out of doing anything.

Id expect his signed match worn jumpers would go for a fair coin.

I would guess that an authenticity audit of AFL memorabilia would be far more damaging than a citizenship review of the senate.

(And in the wake of the Barry Urban and Felicity Wilson scandals, I would guess that a CV audit of all members of parliament would be pure comedy gold.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back