Certified Legendary Thread Matchday 14 - November Title Decider?

Can Louis Van Gaal's Red Army stop the Vardy train?

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Why isn't Fryer Tuck doing the matchday threads?

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Lol Mou

Votes: 20 35.1%

• Total voters
Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
upload_2015-11-23_9-55-15.png

Top of the table clash coming up between Jamie Vardy's Leicester City and Louis Van Gaal's Red Army. Free flowing counter attacking football against the best defense in the league and the Philosophy.
Should be a cracker with United looking to shut Jatz and Fryer Tuck the **** up by removing 5-3 from premier league folklore. With Ander Herrera out with a hammy, Junior Pele, WILSON and Fat Wayne in doubt, will a youngster step up for United or will the Tinkerman be ordering half time Pizza.

Lol Mou scraped a one-nil win against SM 's second team with Robbie Brady's unable to lead Norwich to victory. Can Mou back up against a red hot Spurs, desperately trying to prove they are more than just a big rock climbing club.

City should get a couple of key inclusions back for this game and they'll need Kompany against a fit and firing Pelle. No doubt City have by far the better team, but will the battle be lost at the selection table once again.

Can Pool get the chocolates against Swansea or will their inconsistency continue?

Bournemouth 1-3 Everton
Sunderland 1-1 Stoke
Villa 1-2 Watford
City 3-2 Southampton (Assumes Kompany is injured)
Spurs 2-0 Chelsea
Palace 3-0 Newcastle
Leicester 1-2 United
West Ham 1-1 West Brom
Pool 3-0 Swansea
Robbie Brady 1-3 Arsenal

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Another big test for our young side. No Dele Alli probably means Dembele to play deeper and Lamela to hopefully return into the front 3 with Son & Eriksen

Old Spurs 2 - Chelsea 4
New Spurs 2 - Chelsea 0

Another big test for our young side. No Dele Alli probably means Dembele to play deeper and Lamela to hopefully return into the front 3 with Son & Eriksen

Old Spurs 2 - Chelsea 4
New Spurs 2 - Chelsea 0

Didn't that Old Spurs belt them 6-2 last season? :p

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Got this feeling Chelsea will belt the Spurs.

On our game, very tough away to s team no one thought would be top after 13 games, but are playing very good football.

Predicting a 2-2 draw.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
You've been chatting an awful lot of sh!t Bojan, and you know full well what happens when you do that.

Also, you're meant to wait until after the CL matches before getting this up (at the very least until all MD13 games are complete)! No matter, I'll let you have this one, because when you started the topic, Leicester's been number 1, so theoretically that should continue. If that's the case, you can do next week and every week after!

Still, I think now is a very good time to play United. A few knocks, and coming off a tricky game against PSV. I think United would be under more pressure than us as well. That defence is looking mighty tight, but De Gea will still have the scars from last time. It's the best attack vs the best defence on the biggest stage of them all.

We should be aiming for at least a draw and to keep things ticking along. But if you gave me a choice between a Vardy goal (but we don't win) and three points (with no Vardy goal), give us the three.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
You've been chatting an awful lot of sh!t Bojan, and you know full well what happens when you do that.

Also, you're meant to wait until after the CL matches before getting this up (at the very least until all MD13 games are complete)! No matter, I'll let you have this one, because when you started the topic, Leicester's been number 1, so theoretically that should continue. If that's the case, you can do next week and every week after!

Still, I think now is a very good time to play United. A few knocks, and coming off a tricky game against PSV. I think United would be under more pressure than us as well. That defence is looking mighty tight, but De Gea will still have the scars from last time. It's the best attack vs the best defence on the biggest stage of them all.

We should be aiming for at least a draw and to keep things ticking along. But if you gave me a choice between a Vardy goal (but we don't win) and three points (with no Vardy goal), give us the three.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

It's a very good time to play us because our 'goal threats' are injured and whilst i love Louis playing the kids, we have so many involved that i'm a bit nervous about this game. Not sure what 'scars' De Gea will have considering none of the goals he conceded in our previous meetings were his fault. I don't think either side are under much pressure tbh. Nobody expects your mob to be this high in the table and are continually written off. Nobody expects United to be this high at the end of the season either. I think a 1-1 draw is the likely result tbh with our defense aimed at preventing the counter. Would imagine Morgs and Mike will follow Vardy around a fair bit.

At this stage i'd expect that we'll line up as follows:

---------De Gea

Darmian Mike Rojo Blind (Jones is injured)

Pereira Morgs FuttballGott

Mata Memphis Lingard

Romero, Tuanzebe, Rashford, Goss, Pele jr (if required)

Pretty young, particularly in the final third

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

It's a very good time to play us because our 'goal threats' are injured and whilst i love Louis playing the kids, we have so many involved that i'm a bit nervous about this game. Not sure what 'scars' De Gea will have considering none of the goals he conceded in our previous meetings were his fault. I don't think either side are under much pressure tbh. Nobody expects your mob to be this high in the table and are continually written off. Nobody expects United to be this high at the end of the season either. I think a 1-1 draw is the likely result tbh with our defense aimed at preventing the counter. Would imagine Morgs and Mike will follow Vardy around a fair bit.

At this stage i'd expect that we'll line up as follows:

---------De Gea

Darmian Mike Rojo Blind (Jones is injured)

Pereira Morgs FuttballGott

Mata Memphis Lingard

Romero, Tuanzebe, Rashford, Goss, Pele jr (if required)

Pretty young, particularly in the final third

Penalties aside, I don’t think he made a single save, he was pretty much all alone when we came down upon him… wait, come to think of it, I don’t think he made a single save against us in that 3-1 defeat either. Granted, we were dire, but it’s just weird to think that I’ve never actually seen a proper De Gea save in a full game before (Talking about matches I’ve seen).

I think that’s fairish enough from your angle. I mean, aside from West Ham away (and it’s questionable how much of a thereat they are without Payet), you’ve got some nice fixtures to get some points (of course, there’s no such thing as an ‘easy’ game in the PL). I’m thinking that if you can manage to keep your position over the others during the period, you guys might strain them in their chase.

I’ll take 1-1 (as long as Vardy scores) if offered it now. I would think that if you were to score, it will be off a set piece. I feel that we will be unchanged from Newcastle, and we will have sheer pace and creativeness in reserve. Ulloa and Vardy will give a healthy mix of aerial and ground thereat. It’s also encouraging to see Ulloa providing assists in the few games he has played. Will be interesting to see how the best defence in the PL handles it.

I'm actually quite curious in your attack vs our defence, because I'm in the opinion that it is getting better. Simpson and Fuchs are a just a lot more solid. I want to see where most of your attempts are going to be taken from.

Of course, this match will be your prime opportunity to watch Drinkwater/Kante in action, and see how much they contribute both ways. Kante is the clear number 1 in Interceptions, and 3rd overall for tackles. Kante's the kid that would jump over fences and get on the roof to get the ball back, they both have been key to starting our attacks. I rate Bastian and Morgs highly, so I think it's going to be a very entertaining duel.

Flameboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea

Old Spurs 2 - Chelsea 4
New Spurs 2 - Chelsea 0
Old Spurs would still beat us in our current state. You'd be pretty disappointed if you can't get 3pts against us at home with the way we're playing atm.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Penalties aside, I don’t think he made a single save, he was pretty much all alone when we came down upon him… wait, come to think of it, I don’t think he made a single save against us in that 3-1 defeat either. Granted, we were dire, but it’s just weird to think that I’ve never actually seen a proper De Gea save in a full game before (Talking about matches I’ve seen).

I think that’s fairish enough from your angle. I mean, aside from West Ham away (and it’s questionable how much of a thereat they are without Payet), you’ve got some nice fixtures to get some points (of course, there’s no such thing as an ‘easy’ game in the PL). I’m thinking that if you can manage to keep your position over the others during the period, you guys might strain them in their chase.

I’ll take 1-1 (as long as Vardy scores) if offered it now. I would think that if you were to score, it will be off a set piece. I feel that we will be unchanged from Newcastle, and we will have sheer pace and creativeness in reserve. Ulloa and Vardy will give a healthy mix of aerial and ground thereat. It’s also encouraging to see Ulloa providing assists in the few games he has played. Will be interesting to see how the best defence in the PL handles it.

I'm actually quite curious in your attack vs our defence, because I'm in the opinion that it is getting better. Simpson and Fuchs are a just a lot more solid. I want to see where most of your attempts are going to be taken from.

Of course, this match will be your prime opportunity to watch Drinkwater/Kante in action, and see how much they contribute both ways. Kante is the clear number 1 in Interceptions, and 3rd overall for tackles. Kante's the kid that would jump over fences and get on the roof to get the ball back, they both have been key to starting our attacks. I rate Bastian and Morgs highly, so I think it's going to be a very entertaining duel.
Wasn't De Gea's fault when blokes like Ulloa were dobbing them into the top corner. Buffon in his prime would have struggled that day.

Regarding your creativity and attack vs defense, LVG puts a lot of work into players positional skills and intelligence. We concede so few goals because Morgs is positionally excellent, making direct balls from defense into the forwards almost impossible. Smart teams will need to drag Morgs around the pitch to find an opening into the no.9. Leicester are a different beast though because of Vardy's speed. We only have two players who can match him for speed and one has a broken leg and the other is 18. Thus, we'll try to dominate possession until we can find an opening and be well position defensively to avoid quick counter attacks. You can count yourself lucky that Pele jr is injured. Simpson would not be able to contain him down the left.

Don't read too much into tackling and interception stats, the best defenders and DM's often make the least tackles and interceptions as they are always in the right position. I think it was John Terry who made 2 tackles across an entire title winning season. i will watch campaigner' with interest. Hopefully Rooney doesn't play as he'd make Kante' look like Makelele in his prime atm. Basti was sensational against Watford in a very complete performance and will have to be on form again this weekend.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Has there been anymore word on that situation? Last I saw LVG seemed pretty optimistic that he'd be a chance for PSV, if so you'd assume he'd be right by the weekend.
he said that the watford game was a good opportunity for Martial to rest. It was just bruising so he may be available. Would imagine he'll make the bench. Rooney may be over the flu by then too.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Don't read too much into tackling and interception stats, the best defenders and DM's often make the least tackles and interceptions as they are always in the right position
This 100%

It's the reason those "England's best XI if Roy used stats" are always BS. Of course Mark Noble is going to make more tackles and have a high pass completion, he runs around like a headless chook and passes sideways 3m all the time!

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Wasn't De Gea's fault when blokes like Ulloa were dobbing them into the top corner. Buffon in his prime would have struggled that day.

Regarding your creativity and attack vs defense, LVG puts a lot of work into players positional skills and intelligence. We concede so few goals because Morgs is positionally excellent, making direct balls from defense into the forwards almost impossible. Smart teams will need to drag Morgs around the pitch to find an opening into the no.9. Leicester are a different beast though because of Vardy's speed. We only have two players who can match him for speed and one has a broken leg and the other is 18. Thus, we'll try to dominate possession until we can find an opening and be well position defensively to avoid quick counter attacks. You can count yourself lucky that Pele jr is injured. Simpson would not be able to contain him down the left.

Don't read too much into tackling and interception stats, the best defenders and DM's often make the least tackles and interceptions as they are always in the right position. I think it was John Terry who made 2 tackles across an entire title winning season. i will watch campaigner' with interest. Hopefully Rooney doesn't play as he'd make Kante' look like Makelele in his prime atm. Basti was sensational against Watford in a very complete performance and will have to be on form again this weekend.

Well, when you put it that way... I guess I can accept that, lol.

I have seen some of that in action, and that is something I do approve of in quality. Of course, as you noted, almost is the key word. Our directness is very sharp and players have an excellent understanding of each other. I trust Ranieri has drilled the right strategies to get around the Morgan problem. As you've noted, we could always just go to Vardy direct and let him burn your defenders. If he's one-on-one with De Gea, on the kind of run he's on, you can feel it coming. Just remember, he just needs one chance to be the gamebreaker. That said, I do feel that you will certainly dominate possession. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you had 70-75% of the ball. It's what you're actually going to do with it, and with Vardy leading the way in the pressing game, we will ensure that we force that mistake, and well, using our pace (Vardy is fast, but we have plenty more (Kante, Schlupp (if anyone's 'Morgan' proof, it's Schlupp), Dyer, Mahrez to a less extent) which will certainly come in handy in the 2nd half), well, efficiency counts. Just make sure our shots are from further out.

I agree with that stat, but of course the context is always going to be important. For a team like Leicester, our defensive quality is not at that level where our players can go all Maldini on the opposition like the bigger teams. Rather we need grit. Combined with the style, well, intercepts and tackles are pretty much bread and butter stuff for us in both directions. At the same time, I think we’ve got one of the worst pass completion rates on the basis that more of our passes are long, direct, and risky. Our style relies on directness first. Kante is everywhere. Even if you think you've cleared him, he will win it cleanly when you least expect, and that's the key factor, we win the ball when you least expect it to, a critical moment, a momentum changer, and that's where the opportunity comes.

Martial will certainly be an interesting challenge, and you'd be correct that Simpson is the weakest of the four. The good news is that he seems to have improved on his solidness, and with that brings extra confidence in Morgan and Huth, they don't have to worry too much. As noted, Kante is also there to prevent such a thing from ever happening. Martial will get his feet to it, but he'll find it quite an ask to get it cleanly in the box. It would take some real quality to get us in open play (As noted, we haven't conceded a goal in open play since Arsenal, which was De Laet's last game as a starter). That said, set pieces are a different story... have you been getting much from your free kicks and corners?

Surely Tottenham are 'due for a loss' whilst Chelsea are 'due for a big win'

I am also scaring myself that I feel less confident without Alli. Yet he is just a kid, and has only been with the club for a few months.

I guess its the old Spurs supporter in me trying to be pessimistic so I dont get let down.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Old Spurs would still beat us in our current state. You'd be pretty disappointed if you can't get 3pts against us at home with the way we're playing atm.
You guys and Utd were always our biggest bogey teams of the PL era, we still haven't beaten you guys at the Bridge in like 25 years for etc. Even when you were poor under AVB you belted us 4-2 IIRC and last season was the first time we beat you in 5 years.

It will be a tough game and I won't be surprised if we drop points.

Back