Certified Legendary Thread Matchday 14 - November Title Decider?

Can Louis Van Gaal's Red Army stop the Vardy train?

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Why isn't Fryer Tuck doing the matchday threads?

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Lol Mou

Votes: 20 35.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone talks about The Wire but i really cant stand Chiklis so it makes it hard to watch.

No way can it be better than The Soprano's which is just perfect television.

Chiklis isn't in The Wire, not many white guys are.

The Wire is perfect television because of the level of realism that goes into it. It is the ultimate social commentary that explores everything from the drug trade, police politics, political corruption, the decline of print media and even the education system and how schools are failing to keep kids off the streets and joining the gangs. Every aspect of society they delve into is shown from both sides of the issue too so the insights are fascinating. Anyone who has ever studied sociology or criminology will be familiar with the work of the shows creator David Simon who is an absolute genius who well and truly knows his s**t about the failures of American society.

I love The Soprano's but The Wire is a different kind of show, it's hard to explain until you've seen it but there really isn't anything else out there like The Wire.

/wank

Everyone talks about The Wire but i really cant stand Chiklis so it makes it hard to watch.

No way can it be better than The Soprano's which is just perfect television.

Chiklis isn't in The Wire, Chiklis did The Shield which also is a fantastic show.

The Wire is still the best show I've ever seen but Breaking Bad is second for me. Those shows are both on what I consider the "Top Tier" of shows. Add Mad Men, Six Feet Under, Friday Night Lights, Game of Thrones, Masters of Sex, Rectify, Southland, Fargo, The Affair and The Leftovers off the top of my head.

Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood I am yet to see so cannot comment but they probably will be too.

The Wire is still the best show I've ever seen but Breaking Bad is second for me. Those shows are both on what I consider the "Top Tier" of shows. Add Mad Men, Six Feet Under, Friday Night Lights, Game of Thrones, Masters of Sex, Rectify, Southland, Fargo, The Affair and The Leftovers off the top of my head.

Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood I am yet to see so cannot comment but they probably will be too.
Watch Fargo

Chiklis isn't in The Wire, not many white guys are.

The Wire is perfect television because of the level of realism that goes into it. It is the ultimate social commentary that explores everything from the drug trade, police politics, political corruption, the decline of print media and even the education system and how schools are failing to keep kids off the streets and joining the gangs. Every aspect of society they delve into is shown from both sides of the issue too so the insights are fascinating. Anyone who has ever studied sociology or criminology will be familiar with the work of the shows creator David Simon who is an absolute genius who well and truly knows his s**t about the failures of American society.

I love The Soprano's but The Wire is a different kind of show, it's hard to explain until you've seen it but there really isn't anything else out there like The Wire.

/wank
My bad, maybe im thinking of The Shield. Is Chiklis in that? Doesnt each season focus on one theme? Like education, then drugs,the politics etc. Ive heard great things and it is on the list.

Surely it cant be better than The Soprano's though because The Soprano's is pretty much perfect and you cant be better than perfect.

I take you havent seen The West Wing and The Soprano's?

Is Masters of Sex good? Ive had that on the radar for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are so few people are on The Leftovers bandwagon at the moment, it's a crazy show but far out the acting is on another level. This second season has just been phenomenal and it keeps getting better.

For me the top rung is The Wire, The Soprano's, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Rome, True Detective, Oz, Game of Thrones, Band of Brothers off the top of my head. The Leftovers is fast approaching that status but there's still no word on whether or not HBO will renew it unfortunately.

My bad, maybe im thinking of The Shield. Is Chiklis in that? Doesnt each season focus on one theme? Like education, then drugs,the politics etc. Ive heard great things and it is on the list.

Surely it cant be better than The Soprano's though because The Soprano's is pretty much perfect and you cant be better than perfect.

Yeah sounds like you're thinking of The Shield.

As I said, The Soprano's and The Wire are very different so a comparison is pretty tough. The Soprano's is a more stylized crime drama and revolves around Tony whereas The Wire doesn't have that central character and is more about the themes and the city of Baltimore its self, both are in a league of their own IMO.

Yeah sounds like you're thinking of The Shield.

As I said, The Soprano's and The Wire are very different so a comparison is pretty tough. The Soprano's is a more stylized crime drama and revolves around Tony whereas The Wire doesn't have that central character and is more about the themes and the city of Baltimore its self, both are in a league of their own IMO.

That was obvious 76543 pages ago :)

january-jones.jpg

Best month of the year.
I'm convinced already...

I like the way this thread has gone.

Agree that Oz is very good. I remember wanting to watch Six Feet Under purely because I heard it had a great finale and after watching the pilot I didn't like it at all. Wasn't until a few eps in (the episode with the foot) that I got my head around it and eventually loved it. The finale was indeed amazing.

Anyone that loves tv drama but hasn't seen The Wire should watch it immediately.

I take you havent seen The West Wing and The Soprano's?

Is Masters of Sex good? Ive had that on the radar for a while.
Haha I forgot to put Soprano's on there. Yet to see West Wing too but I know Sorkin wrote it so the dialogue should be great.

I rate it. It's like Mad Men but obviously more focused on sex as that is what they are researching. Plus it's got Lizzy Caplan and shes sexy as all hell.

House of Cards up there with the shows being mentioned also.
I've seen first two season and I can't put it on the top tier of shows. It feels quite forced at times. Spacey is fantastic of course but it just doesn't seem to hold my interest as the other shows above. Sons of Anarchy was another that had so much promise but failed to deliver on it all. Still a good show though.
I like the way this thread has gone.

Agree that Oz is very good. I remember wanting to watch Six Feet Under purely because I heard it had a great finale and after watching the pilot I didn't like it at all. Wasn't until a few eps in (the episode with the foot) that I got my head around it and eventually loved it. The finale was indeed amazing.

Anyone that loves tv drama but hasn't seen The Wire should watch it immediately.

Ah! Forgot to put that on the top tier aswell. The father of great television. So many great characters. Adebisi, Keller, Schillinger, Tobias, Kenny and the O'Riley brothers.

Six Feet Under's ending was just emotionally gut wrenching. It's still the best ending of a show I've ever seen. Superb writing.
There are so few people are on The Leftovers bandwagon at the moment, it's a crazy show but far out the acting is on another level. This second season has just been phenomenal and it keeps getting better.

For me the top rung is The Wire, The Soprano's, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Rome, True Detective, Oz, Game of Thrones, Band of Brothers off the top of my head. The Leftovers is fast approaching that status but there's still no word on whether or not HBO will renew it unfortunately.

Yeh, I've just started watching season 2. Far out man. Some seriously great acting in this show. I do worry if Lindelof will go with loads of unsolved questions again like Lost but so far it's the most interesting show on television at the moment.

Yet to see Rome and Band of Brothers too. True Detective S1 would be top tier but have to watch S2 but i had heard it's a let down.

Back