Matches every day

Remove this Banner Ad

cleomenes

Cancelled
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
The daily dose of football that has been a response to the virus carries some lessons for the future of the game.
1. Football on TV every night deadens interest. It is on all of the time, so it doesn't matter whether you see a game or not.
2. The physical demands of Australian football are too great for players to operate in the manner of the impact free games liker soccer. A week is needed for players to recover from a game. Greatly expanded lists would be needed to have adequate reserves.
3. Timing of matches to fit some TV schedule is a disincentive to watch. Matches that run across the evening meal time seem designed to cause family conflict. The end loser in those conflicts will be the game. I am unable to understand what gains Fox executives see in this scheduling.
4. The structure of the roster, at least in my mind, is lost in the daily games. I have no idea where we are up to, and what the ladder means at any given time, and so I take less interest.
5. Shortened games with longer breaks between quarters are deadly. Comebacks are more unlikely, and dour games tightly controlled by coaches are the norm.
6. The modification to holding the ball, controversial and inconsistent as it is, has still provided a little bit of relief from congestion. Umpires need to hold their nerve on this one, and make the return to the old interpretation work. Much more needs to be done about congestion, but daily games isn't it.

Before this enforced experiment, I had thought that since soccer did it, a scheduling that allowed midweek games might be a good idea. I have been disabused of this notion

harrythetiger

Jack Graham That Is 🏆🏆🏆
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
* Has good novelty value - but only once. Do it every year and it will no longer be as interesting.
* It softens the blow of second lockdown
* It has definitely not helped me to keep track of time. I have to remind myself what day it is regularly.

Remove this Banner Ad