Matches that Meltzer f***** up on rating?

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay.. so Meltzer gets people hooked with his ratings.. name a match you reckon should have been 5 stars but wasn't?

For me.. SCSA vs Rock at WMX7 is a clear standout only got 4.5 stars. How this isn't rated 5 I have no idea. It had history, great buildup and the in ring action was second to none.. plus that swerve at the time was something no one saw coming.

Meltzer ****ed up!

Why do people rate his opinions? I've never understood why people go on about him and his ratings. Especially all the 'homg 6 star match homg' stuff after the Omega-Okada match.
He's usually pretty good but is very Japanese leaning I find.

Another match worthy of ***** is #cenawinslol vs HBK on Raw in london back in 2007 i think? Non title match.

Why do people rate his opinions? I've never understood why people go on about him and his ratings. Especially all the 'homg 6 star match homg' stuff after the Omega-Okada match.
Agree. Just like people going in to hysterics over the four million top 50 player lists it felt like Sheehan used to do every year. Just one man's opinion FFS who gives a s**t.

Last edited:
For me.. SCSA vs Rock at WMX7 is a clear standout only got 4.5 stars. How this isn't rated 5 I have no idea. It had history, great buildup and the in ring action was second to none.. plus that swerve at the time was something no one saw coming.

perhaps, but it was still stupid.

Okay.. so Meltzer gets people hooked with his ratings.. name a match you reckon should have been 5 stars but wasn't?

Meltzer stuffed up!
Meh I think 4.5 is about right. Interference and Vince sticking his nose in a Wrestlemania finish again just left a poor taste. Plus Austin as Royal Rumble winner and eventual champion (heel turn or not) should not have lost his Feb PPV match so build up not flawless either.

Meh I think 4.5 is about right. Interference and Vince sticking his nose in a Wrestlemania finish again just left a poor taste. Plus Austin as Royal Rumble winner and eventual champion (heel turn or not) should not have lost his Feb PPV match so build up not flawless either.
Yeah true I forgot about that... actually speaking of Vince, the WMX7 between him and shane with Trish and Linda should have been higher

His ratings are a good guide, if something is rated highly it's always worth a look, but what causes so much shitfighting is people don't realise it's his opinion. You can't * up your own opinion. If he rated something as 4.5 and you think it deserved a 5 it just means he didn't think it was as good as you when he watched it and had to write a review the next day. I like Dave and respect his work over the years and he has watched more wrestling than anyone to base his opinions on which make them educated, but the arguments over a quarter or a meltzer star each way that happens on social media are nuts.

Last edited:

Meltzer stuffed up!

I think its only *** purely because I saw the heel turn coming a mile away. Pulling off 96/97 heel era Austin moves was the sealer. X7 as a whole was predictable throughout and its one of my least favourite manias because of it.

I think its only *** purely because I saw the heel turn coming a mile away. Pulling off 96/97 heel era Austin moves was the sealer. X7 as a whole was predictable throughout and its one of my least favourite manias because of it.
I didnt see the swerve coming and I was a huge smark at the time.

The tag match was something else though..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he do the PWI mag back in the day??

If so then I actually got a letter from him once after writing in to the mag, I can Remember him agreeing with me that Crush could go all the way and be wwf champ.....lol we wouldve both made useless bookers back then

I loved that mag
Every month id grab it and check all the ratings for wwf nwa Florida Memphis etc etc
Had heaps of em, prob 5 or 6 years worth, way before it went glossy
Sold em all on ebay along with the first dozen WCW mags that came along later

Inside wrestling was another one and also there was a third I think was inside wrestler???

Pffft tell me it's better now
No way

If so then I actually got a letter from him once after writing in to the mag, I can Remember him agreeing with me that Crush could go all the way and be wwf champ.....lol we wouldve both made useless bookers back then

I loved that mag
Every month id grab it and check all the ratings for wwf nwa Florida Memphis etc etc
Had heaps of em, prob 5 or 6 years worth, way before it went glossy
Sold em all on ebay along with the first dozen WCW mags that came along later

Inside wrestling was another one and also there was a third I think was inside wrestler???

Pffft tell me it's better now
No way

that's Bill Apter.

Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 25 was a five star match for me, and probably the best match I'll ever see. But end of the day it's Meltzer's opinion, and he's welcome to have that opinion. I wouldn't worry about who is rating matches five stars unless you had a panel of wrestling experts, not just one man's opinion.

I don't think so. Pretty sure he's been doing the Observer since about 1982.

The EC match will be an interesting rating. I thought it was pretty damned good. Had me hooked the whole time. Mind you who doesn't like seeing multiple end of days haha.

Also Orton put on probably his best performance for about 4 years.

Meltzer ****** up!
One of the most important matches in WWE history but it wasn't a 5 star match. Sorry. 4 stars is about right.

One of the most important matches in WWE history but it wasn't a 5 star match. Sorry. 4 stars is about right.
Just rewatched it. I think you're right. Story was good though. I didn't really like the Rock as a wrestler tbh.

The EC match will be an interesting rating. I thought it was pretty damned good. Had me hooked the whole time. Mind you who doesn't like seeing multiple end of days haha.

Also Orton put on probably his best performance for about 4 years.

expecting around 4 snowflakes

Meltzer gave it 4.5 stars FWIW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back