Mathews=verbal Diarrhea

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 13, 2006
Highett, Bayside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory,Storm,Rebels,Bushrangers
does this bloke ever shut up, blah blah blah blah in that high pitched squeak of his give me the runs, he obviously believes his own publicity and thinks everything he says is gospel.............just shut the fcuk up:mad:

does this bloke ever shut up, blah blah blah blah in that high pitched squeak of his give me the runs, he obviously believes his own publicity and thinks everything he says is gospel.............just shut the fcuk up:mad:

Maybe not gospel, but he's pretty much on the mark most times, as a neutral commentator.

Couldn't agree more.

Never shuts up, and certainly seems to love the sound of his own voice.

I find that about 95% of the time he is a good analyser of the game and he is relatively unbiased with a fair sense of humour.

Every now and then however he shoots a comment off the top of his head (à la Dermott Brereton) that you know he would like to take back. I don't think he does it intentionally nor is he trying to be a smart ass.

Last year he commented on 3AW re: the greatness of Lance Franklin and it was slightly premature to say the least.

Having said all this; I personally still respect the bloke as one of the games greats as a player and coach and he is a good commentator when compared to certain others.

nah, he is a fantastic special comments man, and a breath of fresh air for the mundane channel 7 commentary box. Big personality, knows his stuff, and no bias.

Couldn't have put that any better myself. :thumbsu:

All in all, I think Leigh Matthews should be suitably embarrassed today, that's unless he's a student of the Cawwo school of sports media anyway- he's certainly picked up the lisp after all :cool:

Even BEFORE yesterday, it was clear that there was no reason to make those sorts of judgements about Watts, especially since he's been at least as good as could be expected in the games he's played thus far...

He's incessant laughing during today's coverage (his mic was off but it was caught by the play by play people) was ****ing annoying.

I reckon he's a great commentator! He's been a player and coach for so long that his knowledge about the game is vast and expands across generations. (Much better than the stuff we get from McAvaney.) He provides a pretty accurate and unbiased analysis of the game. And I think it's fascinating to hear his opinions on football issues. I may not necessarily agree with him, but he always backs it up with substantial arguments.

At least he actually informs. Most "special comments" blokes don't add anything to the game. Walls just tells you what you just saw, not WHY it happened. Didn't hear his comments re Watts but if he's questioning the drafting of him at #1, I agree, that's silly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back