Mathias Cormann, don't let the door slam on your way out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael West constructs a strong, well-argued case, and your responses have consisted of nothing more than "nah."
Now you sound like those people who post climate change denialist crap, challenge people to waste their time debating it, and declare it somehow means something when they don’t.

I’ve highlighted that it is a very poor and biased article, as a caution that anyone who reads it would do well to cast their net a bit more widely and get themselves a more informed view. That’s all.

What you do with that information is entirely up to you.

Last edited:
Now you sound like those people who post climate change denialist crap, challenge people to waste their time debating it, and declare it somehow means something when they don’t.

I’ve highlighted that it is a very poor and biased article, as a caution that anyone who reads it would do well to cast their net a bit more widely and get themselves a more informed view. That’s all.

What you do with that information is entirely up to you.
So, you had nothing all along. Good to know.

In SBC Gonzalez's defense, at least he has endeavored to use a source other than The Guardian.

I think he's suffering a bit from the old confirmation bias. He'll see a bright blinking headline, and slam headfirst into it like a moth to a flame.

We should continue to encourage him.

Any discussion we could have here would be a poor imitation of the debate that some of the most brilliant economists in the world - guys like Warren Mosler, Randall Wray, Paul Krugman, Glenn Hubbard and Thomas Palley - have been having for the better part of thirty years.

It is perhaps the most revolutionary and controversial economic theory of our lifetimes, and the critics are far from all neoclassical Friedmanites - a lot of Keynesians have serious problems with certain aspects of MMT.

Anyone who thinks a politically-biased, misleading and essentially uncritical article by a non-financial journalist is a good and definitive summary on the subject is either a neophyte or pushing an agenda. In this case I suspect you are both.

There is a lot of great material out there - as I said, the debate has been going on for three decades. I can only suggest you avail yourself of it.

Any discussion we could have here would be a poor imitation of the debate that some of the most brilliant economists in the world - guys like Warren Mosler, Randall Wray, Paul Krugman, Glenn Hubbard and Thomas Palley - have been having for the better part of thirty years.

It is perhaps the most revolutionary and controversial economic theory of our lifetimes, and the critics are far from all neoclassical Friedmanites - a lot of Keynesians have serious problems with certain aspects of MMT.

Anyone who thinks a politically-biased, misleading and essentially uncritical article by a non-financial journalist is a good and definitive summary on the subject is either a neophyte or pushing an agenda. In this case I suspect you are both.

There is a lot of great material out there - as I said, the debate has been going on for three decades. I can only suggest you avail yourself of it.
The giant slumbers at last!

First two pars - all good points. But you seem to be suggesting that mere mortals needn't discuss such matters. Considering they affect us all daily, I beg to differ, specially given that the powers that be deign to portray themselves as experts on such subjects daily.

Which is the central point of West's article, and one which you're choosing to overlook and instead focus on the wider subject of MMT - when governments, conservative governments in particular, continue to trot out the line that when governments borrow money, they are "borrowing it from our children and our grandchildren" - and they do this with monotonous regularity - they are speaking complete horseschitte and should be called out on it with vigour.

politically-biased, misleading and essentially uncritical article

As I keep saying, you still haven't really substantiated any of these accusations

by a non-financial journalist

"Michael West spent two decades working as a journalist, stockbroker, editor and finance commentator before striking out on his own in July 2016.

After eight years as a commentator with The Australian and another eight years with the Sydney Morning Herald as a journalist and editor, Michael founded this website to focus on journalism of high public interest.

West is a Walkley-award winner and Adjunct Professor at the University of Sydney’s School of Social and Political Sciences
".

As I keep saying, you still haven't really substantiated any of these accusations
It should be evident to anyone who has done a modicum of reading on the subject. Aside from nonsense like ‘QE is the privatisation of creating money’ there is no attempt to address any of the many, many problems with and criticisms of MMT.

Little surprise he used to be a stockbroker. They have about as much understanding of economics as as used car salesmen have of automotive engineering.

Thanks Mathias for all you have done for US, with out you i would have enjoyed some sort of wage growth which WE are definitely not worthy of.

Also, wouldn't of had this embarrassment.

That’s what you get when you try to have quotas instead of best person for the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They must have if they put this dumb person in their party. Who is she again?
Linda Karen Reynolds CSC is an Australian politician and former army officer who has been Minister for Defence in the Morrison Government since May 2019. She has been a Senator for Western Australia since 2014, representing the Liberal Party. She previously served as Assistant Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Defence Industry and Minister for Emergency Management and North Queensland Recovery. Prior to entering parliament she was a member of the Australian Army Reserve for nearly 30 years and was the first woman to attain the rank of brigadier.

Little surprise he used to be a stockbroker. They have about as much understanding of economics as as used car salesmen have of automotive engineering.
Well that's an intellectual response.

You said Michael West is not a finance journalist.

I showed that he is, and he's a professor to boot.

Off you go on a pathetic tangent, still trying to shoot the messenger though you've been shown up.

You really haven't covered yourself in glory in these exchanges mate.

In closing, as regards the horseshitte that the government (and to a lesser extent, Labor) put about, namely, that if governments borrow, it's our "grandchildren who will have to pay it back" I think we can confidently say, as per the popular SBS show, Myth: BUSTED!

lol, of sociology - what does that have to do with knowing about economics?

The guy wrote a sh*te article, and if he's a finance journalist that's doubly embarrassing for him
So you keep saying. Quite unconvincingly.

I think we'll just conclude that the article was quite good and it left you demonstrably unable to formulate much in the way of counter arguments. God knows you've had the opportunity. Thanks for wasting everyone's time.

When Bluespooner gets triggered by reactions so tries to do the same thing back but fu**s up the context each time
View attachment 905344
Those damned Belgians......
Is there any such thing as a left wing nut job?
It's like making the assumption that there being actual child molesters in society there has to be an equally evil but opposed group of non-child molesters?
The idiotic right wing claim that "balance" both justifies AND validates away their unsupportable ideologies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back