Remove this Banner Ad

mdc

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Jun 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
sorry, was a bit sloppy by me. should have explained that what I meant is that if the numerator is zero then the fallacy is obvious, and so the example is pointless. i.e. you only divide by (x-y) because you don't immediately realise x-y=0...if you did, you wouldn't do it.

treefingers

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
On an Argand diagram, O is the origin and P represents the point 3 + i. The point Q
represents a + bi, where a and b are both positive. If triangle OPQ is equilateral, find a
and b.

I've tried using vectors, locus, cis etc but can't seem to get anywhere.

mdc

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Jun 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
On an Argand diagram, O is the origin and P represents the point 3 + i. The point Q
represents a + bi, where a and b are both positive. If triangle OPQ is equilateral, find a
and b.

I've tried using vectors, locus, cis etc but can't seem to get anywhere.

Lots of ways to do this, but the most straight-forward is just to use plain old geometry:
- Draw your diagram.
- Find the angle between the Real axis and OP (let's call this x Radians).
- The angle between the Real axis and OQ is then Pi/3 + x. Draw in OQ, and hopefully you can take it from here.

treefingers

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lots of ways to do this, but the most straight-forward is just to use plain old geometry:
- Draw your diagram.
- Find the angle between the Real axis and OP (let's call this x Radians).
- The angle between the Real axis and OQ is then Pi/3 + x. Draw in OQ, and hopefully you can take it from here.
It's okay, I finally figured it out :)

I had to use the formulas for sin (a+b) and cos (a+b), as the answer had to be non decimal. ended up being a =(3 - sqrt(3))/2 and b = (1+3*sqrt(3))/2

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hey, I know it's a maths thread but does anyone here know much about physics? More specifically thermodynamics? Because I have a few problems that I just can't do.
Cheers guys.

mdc

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Jun 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey, I know it's a maths thread but does anyone here know much about physics? More specifically thermodynamics? Because I have a few problems that I just can't do.
Cheers guys.

It's been a while, but if you post a couple of them I'll see if I can help.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's been a while, but if you post a couple of them I'll see if I can help.

Thanks mate, I'll keep this in mind for the future! I was panicking a bit, then I sat down for a couple of hours and nutted them out! Funny how things happen like that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mdc

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Jun 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Q20 on combinations if anyone can solve it

Consider which combinations of 3 letters (vertices) will not form a triangle, and find the total number of these. Call this X.

Then to solve your problem, all you need is to find all possible 3-letter combinations of A-I and subtract X.

Subaru Impreza

Cancelled
Feb 21, 2009
Australia
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Glory Lakers ManC Patriots WCE Freo
Spent a day thinking about the question eventually got it

a) 5C2 x 4C1 + 5 C1 x 4C2 = 70 (1st row choose 2 and 1 from the 2nd row) + (1 from the 1st row and 2 from the 2nd row)

b) If A was a must point ( 1C1 x 4C1 (1st row) x 4C1 (2nd row)) + (1C1 x 4C0 (1st row) x 4C2 (2nd row))= 22

Speck

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

Question 19 , the answer is 13.4 km

Can someone explain the solution for me?

Draw a diagram like this:

25yvsm0.png

Then use the cosine rule to work out the value of x (13.4).

Kahuna

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jan 23, 2006
Adelaide, EAST SIDEEE
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Redbacks
Internal angles of the triangle are 40, 25, 115

from there use the sine rule. Try it yourself then I will post a solution if you are having any problems .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back