Recommitted Matt Buntine [re-signed]

27 next year with only 59 games played.

Is more your hbf but played forward this year also. Hard to get a read on for mine but could see a vic team bring him home as a free hit

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Not one club wanted Finlayson last year, even as a freebie there is no logic why any club would go after Bunts, he's better off staying as a depth player.

North did, Finlayson actually toured Arden St.

We couldn't take him last year as Port basically threw Pittard into the Polec deal.

Teddy chester

All Australian
Jun 11, 2016
SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
27 next year with only 59 games played.

Is more your hbf but played forward this year also. Hard to get a read on for mine but could see a vic team bring him home as a free hit
I could see the swans into him if we are ever planning to play mills as a mid. The team is looking a bit inexperienced down back all of a sudden imo

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Would rather we keep him over Tomlinson . Always rated him very highly.
Came to say exactly that I reckon Buntine is actually a better defender than Tomlinson.

Buntine has had a very strange career. He was a top five pick eight years ago but has barely carved out 50 games in that time despite having little to no significant injuries in that time, yet he's never really been at risk of being delisted (and won't be this year) since I guess internally he's always been rated as a very handy depth option. Even if he were to leave GWS, he'd be able to get a two, maybe even three year deal at a new club.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Came to say exactly that I reckon Buntine is actually a better defender than Tomlinson.

Buntine has had a very strange career. He was a top five pick eight years ago but has barely carved out 50 games in that time despite having little to no significant injuries in that time, yet he's never really been at risk of being delisted (and won't be this year) since I guess internally he's always been rated as a very handy depth option. Even if he were to leave GWS, he'd be able to get a two, maybe even three year deal at a new club.
He's a really good player. He's a best 22 player when fit in my opinion. Would be more than happy to offer him a three year deal.

A smart guy as well, would love to keep him around for a coaching or development role if he'd like to stay in the game lost retirement.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Sounds like he needs a fresh start at a new club/more opportunities.
Would be a good fit for North, I reckon.
Why does he need a fresh start? He's loved by the club, has always mentioned that he really likes living in Sydney and away from the media spotlight. He's simply been crippled by injuries. Often I think "needs a fresh start" is just a throwaway line for a player who's relationship has broken down with the club or vice versa, but I genuinely don't think it applies in this case.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
but has barely carved out 50 games in that time despite having little to no significant injuries in that time,
That's not correct. He's suffered a number of injuries over the years that's impacted his career IMHO.

I do agree that his career has been odd - and hasn't lived up to his draft position. Early days he suffered from being an inexperienced defender when we were getting smashed. In 2015 & 2016 when he looked like being best 22 (he was even named in the leadership group one of those years) he suffered multiple concussions from playing courageously) that cost him a large chunk of those seasons - and probably impacted his playing quality. Then he missed most of 2017 with an ACL (that he'd been playing on partially torn apparently for some time).

He's probably just short of quality (especially after his injuries) for the best 22, but is an excellent backup (and NEAFL mentor).

I'm hoping he stays, he's a genuine kind of person; but wouldn't begrudge him if he left for opportunity to play first grade regularly.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Why does he need a fresh start? He's loved by the club, has always mentioned that he really likes living in Sydney and away from the media spotlight. He's simply been crippled by injuries. Often I think "needs a fresh start" is just a throwaway line for a player who's relationship has broken down with the club or vice versa, but I genuinely don't think it applies in this case.

I will take your word for it then. Hopefully he can start having a fair run with injuries.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
As others have mentioned above he's a great Clubman ,well liked and original giant etc.While he reads play from half back well and is almost too courageous at times his problem is his leg speed.He knows this and has worked with Sprint coaches in the off season but he's still gets caught out for speed. Injuries have impacted him.I think he will get delisted if a trade can't be arranged but the club may offer him an off field role

Back