Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

would he more suit a contending side as depth that if needed they can plug him in and know exactly what they'll get week in and week out? Maybe we get their second and pay all his salary.
Contending side maybe but there's no chance we get a second. That would be daylight robbery.

He said he felt like he played "OK" on the weekend, but didn't think he'd be dropped and said he talked with VB and Nicks about it.

"Disappointed and frustrated" were the main words he used at the start. "Blindsided" may have been the extra bit of editorial mayo added on.
So we can add “poor attitude” and “whinging to the media” to the list of undesirable qualities that he’s currently bringing to the club.

The problem is he favors the handball but he isn’t very good at them. Diesel or A Jarman handballed a lot but to advantage. Crouch handballs to players in worse positions than he is.
His hands haven't been great this year. I actually thought Hately was better in that regard and I don't even rate him that highly.

Gibbs. Man what a flog. He totally fleeced the club and thinks he's has a moral high ground to throw stones.
The funny thing is, Gibbs knows why he was dropped, particularly after the Brisbane game. He was told to run with Neale and continually ran off him in an attempt to ball chase. Neale had 26 odd touches in the first half, Gibbs went "but I kicked two goals!" and by half time we swapped Jones onto Neale because Gibbs wouldn't stick with him.

The funny thing is, Gibbs knows why he was dropped, particularly after the Brisbane game. He was told to run with Neale and continually ran off him in an attempt to ball chase. Neale had 26 odd touches in the first half, Gibbs went "but I kicked two goals!" and by half time we swapped Jones onto Neale because Gibbs wouldn't stick with him.
Also his skills dropped off massively after that first year.

I think he's cooked mate. Another side won't magically transplant his groins. Every year the game gets a bit quicker. Unless there are rule changes that slow it all down, I think his time has passed.
Other teams might have better midfield strategies than just blindly slamming it on the boot though.

He probably is cooked but we don't do our players any favours with our methods.

Other teams might have better midfield strategies than just blindly slamming it on the boot though.

He probably is cooked but we don't do our players any favours with our methods.
You think Crouch wouldn't hack the ball at another club? He's still going to be glacially slow elsewhere. I've lost count how many times he's forced to kick while being tackled and I don't expect that would be much different at another club. What sort of midfield strategies would get around this?

His statement of being on the Outer to me is kind of a scary to hear about a rebuilding coach. I get a player being out of favour when the team is performing but when sending players back to the Sanfl changes nothing to the prospects of the AFL team it kind of makes it all kind of meaningless. Nicks imo has nfi what his best team looks like. It just appears he is hell bent on selecting the same group of players.

No one can deny our current team selection is adhoc and pathetic. Nicks isnt trialling anything. Dawson is the classic example of good players being made to stand behind the ball to defend a game to death rather than take it on.
So he has no idea what his best 22 is however keeps picking the same group of players? Interesting take!

Do you want them not to make changes each week in a rebuild? This Rowie obsession knowing the best 22 now makes no sense to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

41 possies in the magoos...knowing our coaches we are trying to find a way to put him into tomorrows side. If we are going anywhere as a side he needs to evolve from what he is and beating up on a s**t SANFL midfield is not it, that just reaffirms he is what he is, a flat track bully when he has the advantage

So he has no idea what his best 22 is however keeps picking the same group of players? Interesting take!

Do you want them not to make changes each week in a rebuild? This Rowie obsession knowing the best 22 now makes no sense to me.

Sorry, may not have explained well. Was pissed off at someone.

No, he doesn't know what his best 22 is yet he rotates through the same 28 players with the same results happening and he tries very little different. Rowie is a buffoon most of the time but he does make some sense as he has been around representative footy for a long time.

Rotating through the same group isnt getting results. So I don't understand this obsession with having young players show us selection worthiness through the Sanfl but really, not select them. Do something different, bring in McAsey at Full Forward, bring in Newchurch and see if he can do some damage. Select Worrell and try him out for a few games.

For a team rebuilding we have a lot of senior players playing every week that aren't in great form.

What changed for Matt?

AA150221SR0122.JPG

The "circuit breaker" that helped Crouch return.

Sorry, may not have explained well. Was pissed off at someone.

No, he doesn't know what his best 22 is yet he rotates through the same 28 players with the same results happening and he tries very little different. Rowie is a buffoon most of the time but he does make some sense as he has been around representative footy for a long time.

Rotating through the same group isnt getting results. So I don't understand this obsession with having young players show us selection worthiness through the Sanfl but really, not select them. Do something different, bring in McAsey at Full Forward, bring in Newchurch and see if he can do some damage. Select Worrell and try him out for a few games.

For a team rebuilding we have a lot of senior players playing every week that aren't in great form.
Exactly.

This is the team to be trialing and experimenting.

Not the week before a Finals game.

Mind you, we are not playing Finals for another 3-4 years at least.

41 touches, most of em handballs, in the SANFL… voted best on..

Will be rushed back into the 22 next week like they did with ROB.
Let's be clear

ROB wasn't rushed back in after one week so let's stop bed wetting

ROB spent multiple weeks in the SANFL before his big game that got him back in the side, at the same time Straunie wasn't exactly dominating at AFL level

Back to Crouch

The only player he can dislodge is Hately as a like for like, he won't replace Keays or Laird unless injured

Hately had a poor game last week, he needs a better performances tomorrow

With Crouch is more than his possessions, the word is Crouch has been asked to improve his 2 way running, and his handball to kick ration is high in possession but low in impact

The other concern is that his high handball count is because of his lack of power to break congestion and use his legs, and this disrupts our ball movement

I can't see how a 13 kick and 28 handball game addresses the feedback he has received

On CPH2211 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let's be clear

ROB spent multiple weeks in the SANFL before his big game that got him back in the side, at the same time Straunie wasn't exactly dominating at AFL level

Back to Crouch

The only player he can dislodge is Hately as a like for like, he won't replace Keays or Laird unless injured

With Crouch is more than his possessions, the word is Crouch has been asked to improve his 2 way running, and his handball to kick ration is high in possession but low in impact

The other concern is that his high handball count is because of his lack of power to break congestion and use his legs, and this disrupts our ball movement

I can't see how a 13 kick and 28 handball game addresses the feedback he has received

Multiple eh..

Lets be clear..

Its best to actually know whether or not you know what you are talking about before calling others names..

ROB played one SANFL game.

Look it up smartarse.

Let's be clear

Back to Crouch

Has anyone come out publicly and said what they want from him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back