Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t see the point of playing him midfield. Even if he gets to career best form, we’re not making finals and he’s 28. Doesn’t seem like he has the skill set to play elsewhere but I’d still explore it from day 1 of preseason. There really isn’t a practical alternative

Matt Crouch (Adelaide Crows)

Much of Matt Crouch’s future will likely depend on how many senior games he plays for Adelaide in 2023. There was interest from rival clubs this trade period but Adelaide ultimately opted to hold him to his contract with no standout offers emerging. Matthew Nicks has dropped Crouch more than once and seems to be set on a midfield brigade without him. He’s still just 27 and a former best and fairest winner and racks up the football at will, which was on display during the 11 senior games he played this year. Nicks clearly wants Crouch to add some more tricks to his game, but whether he actually can do that is another question. How he fares in 2023 will be a topic of intense interest in South Australia.

Matt Crouch (Adelaide Crows)

Much of Matt Crouch’s future will likely depend on how many senior games he plays for Adelaide in 2023. There was interest from rival clubs this trade period but Adelaide ultimately opted to hold him to his contract with no standout offers emerging. Matthew Nicks has dropped Crouch more than once and seems to be set on a midfield brigade without him. He’s still just 27 and a former best and fairest winner and racks up the football at will, which was on display during the 11 senior games he played this year. Nicks clearly wants Crouch to add some more tricks to his game, but whether he actually can do that is another question. How he fares in 2023 will be a topic of intense interest in South Australia.

That’s got to be bullshit. A couple of things if they expected standout offers for a guy who they wouldn’t play they are idiots, secondly if they didn’t accept any offer for a contracted player they didn’t play then they are even bigger idiots.

If it’s true I hope Nicks enjoys being asked the weekly question about Crouch and suffers in his jocks.

But I don’t believe it, Crouch wants to play AFL and would have put pressure on to go.

That’s got to be bullshit. A couple of things if they expected standout offers for a guy who they wouldn’t play they are idiots, secondly if they didn’t accept any offer for a contracted player they didn’t play then they are even bigger idiots.

If it’s true I hope Nicks enjoys being asked the weekly question about Crouch and suffers in his jocks.

But I don’t believe it, Crouch wants to play AFL and would have put pressure on to go.
Why would the claim be a lie ....what would the journalist gain ?

It's not as if Crouch is a major news breaker or clickbait generator

Why would the claim be a lie ....what would the journalist gain ?

It's not as if Crouch is a major news breaker or clickbait generator
Because it would be such a bad decision by the club that I can’t fathom us making it, but then again.

And I’m not saying he lied, but fed some bullshit to indicate we weren’t stuck with Crouch but wanted him.

Because it would be such a bad decision by the club that I can’t fathom us making it, but then again.

And I’m not saying he lied, but fed some bullshit to indicate we weren’t stuck with Crouch but wanted him.
Fourth round pick we can't use vs depth for a Laird injury?

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't see any advantage to any party by fabricating a Crouch story

Firstly ...obviously the CROWS were prepared to trade him ...that's contrary to the public position ...so it's reasonable to accept that the offer didn't warrant a "dump" type trade pick, that maybe couldn't have been used

I suspect the offers would have been speculative, lowball stuff just to see if we'd bite. If somebody is offering a 4th round pick then we'd probably fancy our chances of getting that or slightly better as free agent compensation next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't currently have a list spot for pick 43, ie Max.

As for depth for a Laird injury. Sloane is back. Plus we have a heap of juniors we need to play in there. Plus we recruited Rankine who needs midfield minutes.

It was always going to be spun by the club as some form of win on their part. But reality is that we've got a contracted player that we don't play and has negative value to our 'rebuild' and we need to delist a player to free up a spot to take an academy player and we're apparently turning down offers for him because they're not enough. A bottom 6 side with the league's worst midfield is expecting exactly what for a 28 year old player isn't considered worthy of a spot. There's no way it's true, unless our list management committee is insane. That said, Roo is probably the first to speak, and we know what committees are generally like.

I can't see any advantage to any party by fabricating a Crouch story

Firstly ...obviously the CROWS were prepared to trade him ...that's contrary to the public position ...so it's reasonable to accept that the offer didn't warrant a "dump" type trade pick, that maybe couldn't have been used

Of course there's advantage for us to fabricate that. We need a list spot, we're about to delist a player and then hope they're not Greenwooded so we can collect them in the PSD. Or we're about to only take a single pick at the draft. And the fact that we had a player that we contracted for 2 years when we could have gotten him for 1 that couldn't find a home is embarrassing enough on its own. Add in the list squeeze on a back to back to back bottom 6 club and of course we need to get it out there that keeping Crouch in the SANFL for another year was entirely our call and we've done very well.

A bit of a fall from grace from 4 or 5 seasons ago winning BnF in a landslide and is in the age bracket that is primetime.

We don't currently have a list spot for pick 43, ie Max.

As for depth for a Laird injury. Sloane is back. Plus we have a heap of juniors we need to play in there. Plus we recruited Rankine who needs midfield minutes.
It appears our options were give him away for free, or keep him and worst case give him away for free next year.

The pro of keeping him is he's going to help the SANFL team out significantly, especially with Turner not there (the club has only said they will consider rookie drafting him again).

Having Matt in there will be beneficial to Pedlar, Taylor, et al. Winning in the SANFL does help younger players develop faster.

It appears our options were give him away for free, or keep him and worst case give him away for free next year.

The pro of keeping him is he's going to help the SANFL team out significantly, especially with Turner not there (the club has only said they will consider rookie drafting him again).

Having Matt in there will be beneficial to Pedlar, Taylor, et al. Winning in the SANFL does help younger players develop faster.
its going to be a circus, every press conference will contain questions about why isn't he playing and he's taking up a list spot we don't have

its going to be a circus, every press conference will contain questions about why isn't he playing and he's taking up a list spot we don't have
oh well! You can only play a certain number of players each week. Strachen will be taking up a list spot we don't have as well.

Dunstan at Melbourne is another good example, you have depth in certain positions and play then when needed.

If we gave away Crouch for free, who are we taking with pick 75 that will add more than Crouch this year?

I don't believe Crouch is depth for a Laird injury. Laird has pace which Crouch doesn't. Replacing Laird with Crouch would upset team balance significantly in a crucial part of the ground. I strongly suspect Brett Turner was brought in to cover the possibility of another Laird injury. For those struggling to understand his selection I believe this is easily the best explanation. Whether they retain Turner as insurance for another year or are prepared to back in the likes of Zac Taylor and trust Luke Pedlars body remains to be seen (the club can also rote Rankine and Rachele through the middle) but will be revealed at this years rookie draft.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back