Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

He used to be a good player but injuries have cruelled him. I'm not sure if what he needs is a big stretch in the SANFL to get it together...or this is what he is but we can't carry him in the guts any longer. Matt needs to reinvent himself to be more than an inside mid who walks to every contest. I watched this with thommo and I don't want to see us piss another couple of years away like we did with Thommo and possibly move on some better mids to make him secure.

I watch a lot of the other teams in the AFL and they are getting their young guns in the middle. It doesn't work every match but there is a lot to like about that approach and the results they are seeing.

It should have been a wake-up call last year for us when he had no suiters...other teams do not rate Matt Crouch, not one would take him for free. Why we are making him a first choice mid is unfathomable and holding the club back.

Isn’t there a Matt Crouch player watch thread?

He used to be a good player but injuries have cruelled him. I'm not sure if what he needs is a big stretch in the SANFL to get it together...or this is what he is but we can't carry him in the guts any longer. Matt needs to reinvent himself to be more than an inside mid who walks to every contest. I watched this with thommo and I don't want to see us piss another couple of years away like we did with Thommo and possibly move on some better mids to make him secure.

I watch a lot of the other teams in the AFL and they are getting their young guns in the middle. It doesn't work every match but there is a lot to like about that approach and the results they are seeing.

It should have been a wake-up call last year for us when he had no suiters...other teams do not rate Matt Crouch, not one would take him for free. Why we are making him a first choice mid is unfathomable and holding the club back.

I am not sure how Crouch can reinvent himself. He is slow, the only thing in his favour is his strength in the contest. But he is a liability if he doesn't win the ball. Laird and Crouch make for a slow midfield and while Keays isn't slow, he isn't lightening quick. The fact we had all three in the middle to O'Brien who really isn't the best Ruckman going around, is not ideal and frankly, thats another question for Nicks and his philosophy of this development.

Crouch could go back and to Sanfl and look to work as a medium tall forward. He is strong and not a bad 1 on 1 mark. Thats it though, he isnt fast enough for defence.

In the modern game if you have no pace you are pretty much dead in the water. We are paying for bad drafting over the last 7 or 8 years. With good drafting there is no crouch in our squad.

His lack of pace has never been more obvious than in yesterdays game. His disposal was also really poor too. It's pretty obvious he needs to go which means it's a certainty that Nicks will keep selecting him.
He's missed a whole year too. Wasn't the quickest as it was and probably a way off his best now. A spell in the 2s probably the best thing for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor Crouch can't even get back up when he does .

Body is shot , like Scott Thompson in his year too long .

Let him provide some experience and guidance for our young mids in the seconds because his AFL career as a player is done .

He's missed a whole year too. Wasn't the quickest as it was and probably a way off his best now. A spell in the 2s probably the best thing for him
Sure but if you're implying it's a confidence issue or that he’s just out of form, I disagree. I think he’s done as an AFL footballer.

Plodder is often used to describe any mediocre player, but Matt Crouch is a genuine plodder

By that I mean he actually plods around the field. He can barely run, he actively gives up pressuring players in his vicinity and he just looks incredibly slow. It looks like it's taking him a lot of effort to move a very small distance, like extreme heavy legs.

I can't see how he overcomes this? It looks like his groin injury has totally shot his body, taking him from a slow but powerful inside player, to a glacially slow weak plodder that barely wins a clearance.

And yes it's not just his slowness around the ground, his contested work is down 30-40% since his All Australian year. Used to average 13.5 contested possessions, 5 tackles and 6 clearances a game; he's down at 9 contested, 3 tackles and 4 clearances now.

A Matt Crouch that isn't effective in the contest is not worth playing or having on the list

Sure but if you're implying it's a confidence issue or that he’s just out of form, I disagree. I think he’s done as an AFL footballer.
Implying that it's a physical thing. Like Milera.

He didn't use to get caught like he did yesterday

Implying that it's a physical thing. Like Milera.

He didn't use to get caught like he did yesterday
Milera is another whose AFL career is likely over due to recent injuries. He's one who relied on speed and agility to forge his career. With Crouch, it's just exacerbated a weakness he already had.

Christ some of the thread titles on this board are embarrassing, he's been a very good servant of the club and deserves better.

Came off a very limited preseason, clearly still being managed spending over a quarter's worth on the bench. His best is still decent.

We shopped him around, no takers. "Low balled" him for a 2 year deal.

Would like to see him in the SANFL until the back half of the year, but who else is there. Hately is no good, Pedlar's body isnt up for it, that leaves Shoenberg who was rightly put in the 2s. Rachele will get stints.

As said above, its just punishment for butchering so many picks. He really should just be a stop gap at this point.

Christ some of the thread titles on this board are embarrassing, he's been a very good servant of the club and deserves better.

Came off a very limited preseason, clearly still being managed spending over a quarter's worth on the bench. His best is still decent.

Would like to see him in the SANFL until the back half of the year, but who else is there. Hately is no good, Pedlar's body isnt up for it, that leaves Shoenberg who was rightly put in the 2s. Rachele will get stints.

As said above, its just punishment for butchering so many picks. He really should just be a stop gap at this point.

Which is it? Does he deserve better or should he rot in the SANFL?

Hang on. Arent you the same bloke that slammed Tex for 5 years and made some threads

'Taylor Walker - Hows He Going? '

'Tex Captain No More '

'Tex on the Piss'

And potting Crouch? Let me post a line from one of your own posts

Bleed for the club or not you need to perform like a leader or at least an AFL player.

We can say it was bad drafting and I'm sure we all remember how excited sando was with how he got to us. However the players that went after him are no world beaters. Unfortunately some guys juts play AFL till their mid to late 20s and aren't that good and Matt appears to be in that category. Speed gets too much for them. I think (hope) we are playing him to increase his currency to offload him at the end of the year and hopefully by the bye we realise it isn't going to happen and put him in the SANFL and leave him as a break in case of emergency player. Whilst it's been mentioned that Hately & Shoenberg are his natural replacements and haven't set the world on fire - they are allowed to as they haven't been in the system for 8 years

We can say it was bad drafting and I'm sure we all remember how excited sando was with how he got to us. However the players that went after him are no world beaters. Unfortunately some guys juts play AFL till their mid to late 20s and aren't that good and Matt appears to be in that category. Speed gets too much for them. I think (hope) we are playing him to increase his currency to offload him at the end of the year and hopefully by the bye we realise it isn't going to happen and put him in the SANFL and leave him as a break in case of emergency player. Whilst it's been mentioned that Hately & Shoenberg are his natural replacements and haven't set the world on fire - they are allowed to as they haven't been in the system for 8 years
I don’t think it’s been bad drafting, he’s been a very good player for us, we just have no use for him these days with Berry, Laird and keays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back