Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to be honest, have not seen anything we did not see last year.

Difference is he has had more minutes as THE man in the middle. Has always been a great accumulator.

The next part I want to see is him do some damage distributing the ball. Once he gets that done with more consistency he has arrived.

Good thread, but probably a bit too early IMO.

BTW anyone still pining for Bernie?
Look again. Yesterday he only played 67% game time (which already has reduced quarters) and gained 441m with his possessions.

With normal game time of approx 85% (or more with less rotations) that would likely project to about 550m gained.

That's very good for an inside mid IMO and it was one area he needed to improve. He also adjusted his kick to handball ratio by kicking a lot more.

In short he's using his possessions to gain a lot more territory for his team. He was also 2nd in clearances (Fyfe no.1) in a game with a stack of good mids. And he probably had the least game time.

There has definitely been a big transformation so far this year.

It's actually astounding the numbers he can rack up with very little game time. For such an inexperienced player. So far he's looked more of an AFL footballer with ball in hand. Last year he got the ball a stack but he lacked confidence and rushed a lot, choosing the wrong options.

Still love Bernie and wish he was here but you can't argue it was a good deal for both clubs.

We got a young player which was much needed after our draft sanctions and Dees got experienced player who is great to have around their young players.

draft sanctions or not, i would have done that deal every day of the week.

draft sanctions or not, i would have done that deal every day of the week.
Matt went way too low for someone of his quality. Strong draft but looking at picks 10 to 23, Zak Jones, Darcy Lang, Michael Apeness, Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Jack Leslie, Jarman Impey and Darcy Gardiner all look inferior players and Ben Lennon hasn't done much either.

Matt went way too low for someone of his quality. Strong draft but looking at picks 10 to 23, Zak Jones, Darcy Lang, Michael Apeness, Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Jack Leslie, Jarman Impey and Darcy Gardiner all look inferior players and Ben Lennon hasn't done much either.

I think the big knock on Crouch at the time was his fitness. If you just looked at some of the numbers, he probably wouldn't have stacked up too well against some of those other guys.

A lot of clubs draft natural athletes and try to turn them into footballers. In the case of M Crouch, we drafted a natural footballer and had to turn him into an athlete.

I think the big knock on Crouch at the time was his fitness. If you just looked at some of the numbers, he probably wouldn't have stacked up too well against some of those other guys.

A lot of clubs draft natural athletes and try to turn them into footballers. In the case of M Crouch, we drafted a natural footballer and had to turn him into an athlete.

Wonder if there was any thinking from other clubs that he might be heading over to Adelaide after maybe one or two contracts?

Got to be one of my favourites in the younger brigade. Such a natural footballer, you can see as his fitness develops to a point where he matches those drafted as "athletes" that REAL footballing ability puts him well ahead.

Miss Bernie, great bloke, absolute larrikin and good for a laugh. Would still hold a spot in the 22 atm no worries. But if no lesser player was going to get the job done, it was a necessary trade.

In before a Port lurker suggests "up and coming superstar" Impey is better than "slow and s**t" Matt Crouch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never had a single doubt he'd furnish into a good AFL footballer but I did have the advantage of seeing a fair sample size of his junior career as one of my best mate's sons played in the same teams, also had the added advantage of knowing he was coming from a fair way back with regards to his fitness base because of cricket commitments that impacted his football training. I think there is still better to come too.

It's kinda unfair that Brad gets all the accolades based on pure potential and Matt gets judged on actual performance. Is a very different player to his brother, but a very important cog for us over the next 5 years.

Its not unfair. If you have watched the two play - Brad is by far the better footballer. In no way is that a knock on Matt.

Both have played 25 AFL games. Brads 25 have been much much better.

The only way that Matt > Brad is in his durability. In the unlikely event that Brad stays healthy - he will has the ability to be a top 5 player in the AFL. Matt Crouch has the ability to be a top 5 player in our best and fairest.

Its not unfair. If you have watched the two play - Brad is by far the better footballer. In no way is that a knock on Matt.

Both have played 25 AFL games. Brads 25 have been much much better.

The only way that Matt > Brad is in his durability. In the unlikely event that Brad stays healthy - he will has the ability to be a top 5 player in the AFL. Matt Crouch has the ability to be a top 5 player in our best and fairest.

It will be a good day when they come 1 & 2 in our club champs. Because we'll still be on a high from our flag.

I don't get why anyone doesn't see the potential greatness in this guy. Genuinely tough, doesn't like to lose - puts the team first. Love what he has done in the early early days of his AFL career. It's kinda unfair that Brad gets all the accolades based on pure potential and Matt gets judged on actual performance. Is a very different player to his brother, but a very important cog for us over the next 5 years.
I don't think Brad gets accolades on potential. His overall performace has been excellent in the 25 games that he has played to date. When fit Brad is a genuine match winner, an A grade midfielder and that is straight out of the gate....no development was required.

On Matt Crouch, judging by the way he has played this preseason, he is much improved. I do think he needs another preseason under his belt to really impact the game at a high level consistently. His first two games of the NAB this year have been great. Not only because of the number of possesions but of the way he gets from contest to contest and what he does with the footy once he gets his. His kick to handball ratio has been excellent and there is genuine hurt factor to his possesions now....at least in the preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back