Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Clayton Oliver and Matt Crouch at stoppages would allow Sloane or B. Crouch to have a more productive outside role.

He is a gun distributor, his handball skills are elite.
How to miss the point...

Don't know why you're bringing in Oliver to this in regards to playing in our midfield, it's all about the mystical "damage/hurt" factor.

How to miss the point...

Don't know why you're bringing in Oliver to this in regards to playing in our midfield, it's all about the mystical "damage/hurt" factor.
Whoops thought this was the trade thread because he was also being discussed there.

In any case, meters gained is only one measure of how damaging a player is

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do you think the much talked up Clayton Oliver has this "damage/hurt" factor any more than Brad when he's only averaging 180 metres gained per game?
From the games that I've seen, yes but only marginally.

Not sure why you're bringing him into it. He's in his second year, if course the media will fap.

I think Brad will get there. He lacks confidence imo. Puts it on the boot too quickly.

pirate bob

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The point I was making is re the "damage/hurt" factor for one touted so high??

Averaging 180 metres gained a match is very, very average even for a mid as is his handball to kick ratio. 20 years old as of last month.

I.e. last week 33 Disposals - 6 Kicks - 27 handballs
Yep

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Not sure why you're bringing him into it. He's in his second year, if course the media will fap.

I think Brad will get there. He lacks confidence imo. Puts it on the boot too quickly.
Brad is averaging 317 metres gained per game this year, Oliver 184

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

Averaging 180 metres gained a match is very, very average even for a mid as is his handball to kick ratio. 20 years old as of last month.

Would be interested to see his stats for assisted metres gained. Matt is apparently 6th in the AFL in that stat.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

But he's Victorian and cute as a button with his locks. First picked in the AA squad for sure.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Yep, it's a bit like the old cliche, no falls, no balls. You don't reach your maximum unless you have a few failures by taking on a bit too much. Brad needs to do this, he needs to get caught holding the ball a couple of times per game. If he did, he'd be much more damaging the many times he thought he would get caught, but didn't.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rule out Petracca, rule out Oliver, they simply won't be traded to Adelaide

And with that attitude the Bulldogs shoudl have ruled out Boyd.

If they want Lever they have to pay the price.

They have to give fair value and we've got to stand up for ourselves on that.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are we talking about getting Petracca or Oliver in a Leaver trade?

Ain't gonna happen. Melbourne wouldn't be paying the farm for Leaver only to give up a gun mid. They want to win the flag.

More likely they'll bring in a 3rd club who wants picks and has a player in their prime we can get. Probably Gibbs if we're honest.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
To me that's kind of like the kicking efficiency stat, which says Matt crouch has gone backwards with his kicking this year. One of those stats where if you watch the actually game and you will see it differently imo.

OK

In 22 matches last year Matt gained 5,481 metres, already this year in 18 matches he's gained 6,286 metres, perhaps that indicates he's going longer and taking more risks with his kicks?

PykeDream

Only the Betts
Sep 2, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think I've ever been more wrong about a player than I was about Matt Crouch immediately after he was drafted.

My initial thoughts were that'd we burnt another first round pick.

Now, I feel he's the player most responsible for our performance this year. Every week, he is so dependable at the contest and his kicking and spread just gets better and better and better.

When it rains, he, Sloane and Brad just bring their own footys; it's no wonder our two most dominant performances this year have been in torrential downpours.

Tom Mitchell gets a lot of love in AFL circles for Hawthorn's recent revival, but I have Matt as a peg above along with Zach Merrett as the best emerging inside prime movers.

Brentmeister

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Age 'Footballer of the Year' Award. Where's Rabbit gone?

IMG_9180.JPG

Modra4PM

Senior List
Oct 6, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
And with that attitude the Bulldogs shoudl have ruled out Boyd.

If they want Lever they have to pay the price.

They have to give fair value and we've got to stand up for ourselves on that.
Agreed. We just can't accept an unders pick with a steak knives average player that may be a list clogger. Either figure out a way to give is an early first or part with one of your gun mids.

I notice our furry friend with the big ears has gone very quiet of recent times...all is quiet on the Crouch front in that regard.:fire:
You always give deaneus such a hard time...

Back