Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

His mail just happened to be Rucci sitting next to him trying to convince him that Matt Crouch is no good.
Tbf to Bicks. I reckon after he made that call the noise about Matt started getting very loud - you started seeing Ling etc talking about how he was being underrated by Victorian commentators etc. I reckon Matt might have made a nice late run down the inside of the home straight to snag a place in the side.

Hey Guys, No game's this week but thought i'd just give a quick update on how well Matt has finished off the season.

Its hard to say whether the possibility of an AA jumper inspired him to push further into the upper echelon of players in 2017, but the last 5 games Matt has come home strong... I mean really strong, averaging 36.8 disposals/game, averaging 119 ranking points per game. Comparing him with the 5 midfielders who were named on the field in the AA for comparison (FYI, I know Patty and Zach were suspended for a week each so I got the stats from the last 5 games played by each player).

Matt Crouch 36.8 Disposals/Game; 119 Ranking points/game; 35 tackles: 2 Goals
Patrick Dangerfield: 28.6 Disposals/Game: 114 Ranking points/game: 34 tackles: 6 Goals
Tom Mitchell: 34.4 Disposals/Game; 114.4 Ranking points/game; 30 tackles: 1 Goal
Dusty Martin: 31.8 Disposals/Game: 113.8 Ranking points/game: 11 tackles: 9 Goals
Josh Kelly: 29 Disposals/Game; 113.4 Ranking points/game; 27 tackles: 7 Goals
Zack Merrett: 27.2 Disposals/Game: 101.8 Ranking points/game: 22 tackles: 4 Goals

I'm not saying I believe Matt should have started on the field ahead of these 5, I just wanted to use the players the AA selection committee judged as the best at the similar position as the measuring stick. For me it shows a guy in red hot form. Also shows that to take the next step, he needs to start finishing off with more goals.... But hey, everyone needs something to work on before the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need a big one from the crouches tonight!
We need a big one from all the midfielders tonight if we are to win. Greenwood probably need to spend more time on the ground than he normally does. Douglas must play, so do Seedsman, Atkins, Mackay et al.

Crouches had huge stats against the Eagles and we still got done.

We need a big one from all the midfielders tonight if we are to win. Greenwood probably need to spend more time on the ground than he normally does. Douglas must play, so do Seedsman, Atkins, Mackay et al.

Crouches had huge stats against the Eagles and we still got done.

In fairness you couldn't blame the midfield for that. Was our woeful second kicks to the forward line and goal conversion. Be fair to say we need to be 'on' in all facets of the game tonight.

Oh Boy, I'm riding high guys, loved that game. Just an update on the record for Matty for those like me who are keeping an eye on it still.

With 31 possessions in last nights win Matty has moved onto a season tally of 757 disposals. Officially surpassing Scott Thompson's highest ever disposal count by any Crow ever (737). This pushes Matty Crouch to #9 on the all time list and starting to join some very illustrious company.

Lying in front him are the following players (as well as their achievements in that year)

Dane Swan 820 (2010) AA, Winner of AFLPA Award, 3rd in Brownlow, B&F
Dan Hannebery 802 (2016) AA
Tom Mitchel 787 (2017) AA, Likely B&F
Josh Kennedy 787 (2016) B&F, AA,
Dane Swan 769 (2009) AA, Runner up AFLPA Award, B&F
Terry Wallace 765 (1983) B&F, 6th in Browlow
Patrick Dangerfield 762 (2016) Brownlow Medalist, AFLPA Award, B&F, AA
Dane Swan 760 (2011) Brownlow Medalist, AA
Matt Crouch 757 (2017) AA

The game also pushes him past the best tally of a few other pretty well known players on the all time disposal/season list. Let me know if any of these champions names ring any bells.

Gary Ablett Jnr
Wayne Richardson
Robert Harvey
Leigh Montagna
Scott Pendlebury
Tony Shaw
Lachie Neale
Dayne Beams

So with officially 1 or 2 weeks left in the year for Matt to climb to the top of that list he will need to achieve the following.
1 Game: 64, Fairly unlikely
2 Games: 32.0, Or as Matt likes to call it, an 2 average game's!

Come on Crows!

Oh Boy, I'm riding high guys, loved that game. Just an update on the record for Matty for those like me who are keeping an eye on it still.

With 31 possessions in last nights win Matty has moved onto a season tally of 757 disposals. Officially surpassing Scott Thompson's highest ever disposal count by any Crow ever (737). This pushes Matty Crouch to #9 on the all time list and starting to join some very illustrious company.

Lying in front him are the following players (as well as their achievements in that year)

Dane Swan 820 (2010) AA, Winner of AFLPA Award, 3rd in Brownlow, B&F
Dan Hannebery 802 (2016) AA
Tom Mitchel 787 (2017) AA, Likely B&F
Josh Kennedy 787 (2016) B&F, AA,
Dane Swan 769 (2009) AA, Runner up AFLPA Award, B&F
Terry Wallace 765 (1983) B&F, 6th in Browlow
Patrick Dangerfield 762 (2016) Brownlow Medalist, AFLPA Award, B&F, AA
Dane Swan 760 (2011) Brownlow Medalist, AA
Matt Crouch 757 (2017) AA

The game also pushes him past the best tally of a few other pretty well known players on the all time disposal/season list. Let me know if any of these champions names ring any bells.

Gary Ablett Jnr
Wayne Richardson
Robert Harvey
Leigh Montagna
Scott Pendlebury
Tony Shaw
Lachie Neale
Dayne Beams

So with officially 1 or 2 weeks left in the year for Matt to climb to the top of that list he will need to achieve the following.
1 Game: 64, Fairly unlikely
2 Games: 32.0, Or as Matt likes to call it, an 2 average game's!

Come on Crows!
Matt Crouch propelling himself well and truly amongst the elites.

Seriously, has any player ever flown under the radar as much as this bloke?

It seems like only the last month or so has the footy cottoned on to the fact that this guys is a GUN.

I have no doubt that in two of the three AA selection meetings, his name wasn't even mentioned. I reckon the last meeting they had no choice to discuss him and put him in, given the strength of his year.

He took his game to another level at the start of the year, and then another level again when Rory was getting tagged, and it is not beyond him going to another level again, based on the final against GWS.

Watching the replay, him and his brother were absolutely dominant and made the much vaunted GWS mids look second-rate.

Anyone who says these guys are overrated seriously needs their head read. Professionally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back