Recommitted Matt Crouch [signs 2 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure he is the type of player the cats should be targeting depending on how their year ends,

If they miss finals they'll be better off long term getting midfield minutes into their younger guys

Surely the Swans would be interested.

They were monstered in the middle in the 2022 GF by big inside mids.

The SCG is a small ground so Crouch wouldnt get exposed as his one shortcoming is leg speed.

He costs nothing but cap space and he could be playing finals in 12 months.

Port also to a degree if he he didnt mind playing for the arch enemy.

The SCG is a small ground so Crouch wouldnt get exposed as his one shortcoming is leg speed.

Article last week said we were inquiring about him

Not sure he is the type of player the cats should be targeting depending on how their year ends,

If they miss finals they'll be better off long term getting midfield minutes into their younger guys

Not sure how closely you follow the Cats but we have been doing that all year. Only Dangerfield (who works part time) of our older brigade plays significant midfield time now.

What we lack is someone who can get a lot of it. We have young mids who can do nice things when they get it but they don't regularly get a heap of the ball.

Not sure how closely you follow the Cats but we have been doing that all year. Only Dangerfield (who works part time) of our older brigade plays significant midfield time now.

What we lack is someone who can get a lot of it. We have young mids who can do nice things when they get it but they don't regularly get a heap of the ball.
I know you have been which is why I am not sold on brining in a Crouch type and diminishing their time in there but also I can see a few retiring fairly soon so can somewhat understand it

Yep add me to the list who'd take him in a heartbeat at Geelong. The issue that we've seen with Geelong's midfield this year is - at least in my opinion - largely due to Chris Scott favouring players who have several strings to their bow, rather than pure midfielders like Crouch who can't really play anywhere else.

But our midfield has been our Achilles heel pretty much all year, he walks into our best 22, I wouldn't even rule it out that he could win a B&F at Geelong. He's not the sure thing that Parish would be, but he'd also be nowhere near the asking price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have plenty of under 23 guys. What we lack is decent mid aged guys which crouch is.

By all accounts settled in Adelaide so it’ll be between Port and Crows. And the narrative that he should tell the crows to get stuffed is ridiculous. Every other club had the chance to take a free hit on him two trade periods in a row.

By all accounts settled in Adelaide so it’ll be between Port and Crows. And the narrative that he should tell the crows to get stuffed is ridiculous. Every other club had the chance to take a free hit on him two trade periods in a row.
Doubt he will go to Port as he doesn't like them. Great mates with Tex & Laird.

As long as the Crows offer him a fair deal, heading nowhere as he & his partner want to remain in Adelaide.

Doedee is the one I'm less confident about staying.

Surely now he stays and they see he is of good value for what he is good at. Rows midfield shallow so been a surprise he’s been on the outer so long. Gives others like schoenberg and soligo time to develop as we are doing with young mids like wars and MacDonald. If not crows then the swans seem the obvious choice.

There’s a mixed reception on our board about this but I am in the camp that says he’d be a perfect player for us and for the exact reasons you mention.

He can ease the burden from Parker and also nurture someone like Sheldrick who I’m hopeful will be a real midfield bull in a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've got some guys that will get midfield minutes regardless. If we don't have someone that will attract opposition defensive work at stoppage then our kids won't find space easily and so take longer to develop. Right now or midfield is so thin that Stewart, Stengle, and even Ollie Henry have been attending centre bounces.

Well that's the idea anyway. A fully fit Guthrie would likely change the equation a bit. It depends what the MC expect of Bruhn and Clark next year and whether Knevitt can hit the gym enough to play a more contested rotation.

I still don't know whether I want Crouch. There's a chance he shelters the kids and speeds up their development. There's a chance he just gets in the way.

I doubt he gets a game at Port given their midfield strength

Remove this Banner Ad

Back