Recommitted Matt Crouch [signs 2 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely now he stays and they see he is of good value for what he is good at. Rows midfield shallow so been a surprise he’s been on the outer so long. Gives others like schoenberg and soligo time to develop as we are doing with young mids like wars and MacDonald. If not crows then the swans seem the obvious choice.

Or geelong.

Port would be smart moving on Wines as he'd still attract decent offers. And replace him with ufa Crouch.

Use the picks to trade in another need or hit the draft.

Would Melbourne be an option in a Grundy deal?
Can't see them doing that. It's creative though

Port would be smart moving on Wines as he'd still attract decent offers. And replace him with ufa Crouch.

Use the picks to trade in another need or hit the draft.

Would Melbourne be an option in a Grundy deal?
Wines likely to be captain next year as doubt Jonas plays on... so very unlikely Port trade out Wines.

Crouch has been very good since returning to the side.

Last year it was the right call to play him in the 2s. He struggled early on coming back from long term groin issues (no preseason). Berry Laird Keays Crouch midfield did not work, so underdone Crouch didnt make the team. Dawson compliments the midfield much better and a full preseason has seen Matt get back to his best. Probably should have been in the team much earlier. It has always taken injuries to realise what we have in the SANFL for whatever reason, selection at Adelaide saw the least amount of players used all year until half our defense was wiped out and Laird missed a game. Can sort of see the hesitancy from the Coaches though to play him, he's changed his game a bit and focusing less on useless handballs.

He probably will get offers so we might need to offer something like 3 years. He's in our best team clearly but the club has failed to develop young midfielders, so it will be interesting to see how much we want to keep him.

And almost all to the teams advantage, just ask Jordan Dawson and Harry Schoenberg.
It amazes me how people look at handballs as some sort of negative.
Andrew Jarman was a wizard inside, and used alot of handballs. Diesel Williams was how good a player? And used lots of handballs.
Players like Matt are the first line of attack. They get the ball out of the play and out to another team mate. If you can't get the ball in the first place, you ain't gonna get anywhere.
The AFL and some of the lesser knowledge fans go on these trends. Can't have a inside mid who gets 35 possessions a week if they have a higher handball ratio and arnt speedy, they all need to be speed demons who only kick the ball.
Mids must be over 190cms tall.
You don't want a full forward. The game has moved on from them.

Andrew Jarman was a wizard inside, and used alot of handballs. Diesel Williams was how good a player? And used lots of handballs.
Players like Matt are the first line of attack. They get the ball out of the play and out to another team mate. If you can't get the ball in the first place, you ain't gonna get anywhere.
The AFL and some of the lesser knowledge fans go on these trends. Can't have a inside mid who gets 35 possessions a week if they have a higher handball ratio and arnt speedy, they all need to be speed demons who only kick the ball.

Fair point. The game is about more than one stat. If only say 8 of those 35 are contested, and he has only 3 clearances then that would be a bit of worry (could add ground balls in there as well). Crouch had 17 contested and 9 clearances!! So he either dump kicks or handballs to a Dawson/Schoenberg type on the outside. Perfect game

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Great post and something that has been a bugbear of mine for a long time.

I'd love for the Eagles to pick Crouch up. Kelly would move to a more outside role, which is best for him. It'd help Ginbey immensely who actually has toe when allowed to play a free role. Hewett would also greatly benefit.

If we end up with Reid too. Yes please!!!

We'd have to demote Sheed and the like to the 2's however.

Come to WA Matty C!!!!

Great post. Probably half the reason someone like Gulden wasn’t bid on earlier because he’s considered a midget in AFL terms.

Sometimes if a player doesn’t match the prototype for their position they’re seen as a failure or less likely to succeed but players can be unorthodox and still be bloody good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post. Probably half the reason someone like Gulden wasn’t bid on earlier because he’s considered a midget in AFL terms.

Sometimes if a player doesn’t match the prototype for their position they’re seen as a failure or less likely to succeed but players can be unorthodox and still be bloody good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And you just know it will all turn around again in the future.
All its going to take is a couple a quick, small mids who can get under everyone else, and who can't be tackled legally because all the other mids are 195cms tall, and then the new trend will be for smaller and quick mids.
I remember when the mid sized forwards were out of vogue. You had to be 200cms tall, or a small forward. Then along comes Stringer and DeGoey and all of a sudden its that "Hydrid" forward that's so valuable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love for the Eagles to pick Crouch up. Kelly would move to a more outside role, which is best for him. It'd help Ginbey immensely who actually has toe when allowed to play a free role. Hewett would also greatly benefit.

If we end up with Reid too. Yes please!!!

We'd have to demote Sheed and the like to the 2's however.

Come to WA Matty C!!!!
He's actually mates with Liam Duggan too. Duggan and Crouch both Ballarat boys. Liam one year younger.

Amazing how much he has turned it around.

Still reckon he leaves though for a big(ish) last payday
Not just that but he hasn't been treated well by Adelaide. I'm sure in his mind he would feel he has been a scapegoat/should've played more so my uneducated inclination would be that he moves on. And usually unsigned at this time of year is not a good thing.

But then again, he could be really happy and want to stay if the money's right.

He's actually mates with Liam Duggan too. Duggan and Crouch both Ballarat boys. Liam one year younger.
Duggan is a local from here in the Marsh, same as Zac Butters and Aaron Cadman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back