Roast Matt Crouch v St Kilda - The Worst 26 Disposal Game Ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

The most egregious thing for me was the multiple squibbing of contests.

I can forgive a player making the odd blue, but outright NON contests and shirking is absolutely disgraceful.

the contest early when he could have bodied Jones and just stood, sorry, jumped back and let him pick up and kick away was absolutely unforgivable.

That only is SANFL banishment worthy.

Brad free agency compo this year. Matt free agency compo next year. We will be bottom of the ladder both years. That is the best we can possibly do trade-wise.

Playing them every week is our best bet to get fair compensation. Might be the difference between pick 20 and pick 2.

Also, we are already getting flogged too heavily for optimal player development of our young players.

This thread and this narrative is counterproductive.

You could argue that continuing to play Matt is decreasing his value, you know, seeing as other teams recruiters have eyes and all.

You could argue that continuing to play Matt is decreasing his value, you know, seeing as other teams recruiters have eyes and all.

As in, make him the guy that can’t make the worst team in the AFL? I don’t think so. Being dead last has its perks. We can’t possibly do better than letting both of these Crouch brothers go to free agency. That may mean accepting pick 20, but pick 2 isn’t completely impossible.

Not playing him takes away any possible hope of pick 2, but also makes it more likely we end up with 3rd round compo (~pick 38).

No player in the AFL would look good in this current team. Poorly coached and mentally cooked. Clubs might be willing to look past current form. Who knows.

I agree with what you are saying but i highly doubt players read bigfooty lets be honest.

I actually think they do. I remember posting something quite specific on BF before that one player then indirectly referenced during a later interview. I doubt it was from anywhere else because nobody else posted the same thing as I did at the time. This was some time ago though.

I am sorry for butting in as an outsider of a fan, but surely this thread which is a public humiliation of a player clearly devoid of all confidence and self-eateem is in extremely poor taste, especially not so long after Shane Tuck's suicide
Imagine how he would feel if he read this thread (fingers crossed he doesn't)

As a Carlton fan, I can sympathize with you Crows diehards are going through, but this is honestly the wrong way to go about it.

When players are struggling, esp during a really unusual and mentally draining year like 2020, I believe they need encouragement and kind words, or at the very least, not a public roasting like this

Playera are human beings, not emotionless/stoic robots, I respectfully ask you to try back off and be a bit more constructive/less hurtful in your critique of Matty Crouch.

Nothing good or positive can come from a thread like this (and I would totally have the same opinion if some Blues fans roasted a Carlton player in a similar vein)

I get what you're saying, and I agree. Players like Mackay and Hartigan frustrate the hell out of us but seem like decent/nice guys off the field. How else are we going to vent our frustrations besides on a board like this? It's not that we dislike them as humans. We just need to blow off some steam as supporters.

Maybe they should just avoid reading our comments, or accept them as part of life as an AFL footballer.

Here is a supercut of all Matt Crouch's errors against St Kilda

---

Directly cost us 8 clearances and a goal including the 3 center clearances immediately after our come back in the final quarter

Atrocious and simply has to be dropped

The effort at 0:39 is putrid. His man is in and under picking the ball up while Matt takes a backward step away from the contest, then runs parallel to him instead of running at him.

Here is a supercut of all Matt Crouch's errors against St Kilda

---

Directly cost us 8 clearances and a goal including the 3 center clearances immediately after our come back in the final quarter

Atrocious and simply has to be dropped

Some of these are a bit dubious. Like the one where Mackay's pass hits the ground and he picks it up cleanly but is immediately tackled. Also the one where Brown handballs it over the line. I don't really see him at fault there.

Yikes at the rest of the video though. He's too slow, his opponents can burn off him so easily. He also shows poor awareness, keeps passing to players under more pressure than him. Some of those moments where he needed to apply defensive pressure and just jogged next to his opponent. Really terrible form from a senior player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The criticsm of the Crouch brothers has become completely over the top and unhinged. Neither was ever going to be that elite midfielder (Dangerfield) that every midfield requires.

I am sorry for butting in as an outsider of a fan, but surely this thread which is a public humiliation of a player clearly devoid of all confidence and self-eateem is in extremely poor taste, especially not so long after Shane Tuck's suicide
Imagine how he would feel if he read this thread (fingers crossed he doesn't)

As a Carlton fan, I can sympathize with you Crows diehards are going through, but this is honestly the wrong way to go about it.

When players are struggling, esp during a really unusual and mentally draining year like 2020, I believe they need encouragement and kind words, or at the very least, not a public roasting like this

Playera are human beings, not emotionless/stoic robots, I respectfully ask you to try back off and be a bit more constructive/less hurtful in your critique of Matty Crouch.

Nothing good or positive can come from a thread like this (and I would totally have the same opinion if some Blues fans roasted a Carlton player in a similar vein)

He's currently humiliating himself with his performances on show to the public for 2 hours every week.

The criticsm of the Crouch brothers has become completely over the top and unhinged. Neither was ever going to be that elite midfielder (Dangerfield) that every midfield requires.

Unfortunately, that's not true. Brad in his first few seasons seemed destined to be it. Had it all as a player, explosiveness, inside skill, class etc.

It's a timely reminder that the difference between a Dangerfield and a Brad Crouch really is luck. Danger was lucky enough to be durable, Brad was not and eventually, those injuries curtailed his ceiling.

Matt is also good enough to be in and around the AA squads year in year out. Though I agree, he's a Scott Thompson clone style wise and it reveals a massive problem if he is your best midfielder.

Matt is too slow and his disposal is s**t. I'd like to keep Brad but if crows can have 3 top 10 picks because Brad makes way then it's a no brainer. 1st rounder when Matt comes home next year and it will be another year with 2 first rounders for our mob. Hopefully we can snag Hewett from Sydney and get Rankine and Lukosius to come home.

Matt is too slow and his disposal is sh*t. I'd like to keep Brad but if crows can have 3 top 10 picks because Brad makes way then it's a no brainer. 1st rounder when Matt comes home next year and it will be another year with 2 first rounders for our mob. Hopefully we can snag Hewett from Sydney and get Rankine and Lukosius to come home.
Hewett would be handy - any indications he’s not happy at Sydney?

The effort at 0:39 is putrid. His man is in and under picking the ball up while Matt takes a backward step away from the contest, then runs parallel to him instead of running at him.

Some efforts in that video are completely fine, but *that* one is insane.

It's quite sad how Matt is playing. Hope he gets supported and can turn it around because he was great in 2017 whether it's with us or another club.
Yeah I agree.

Like Brad Crouch going makes sense if we can get first round compo after our pick. Matt only turned 25 a couple of months ago, I think if we can find a way to get him to play like the footballer he was a couple of years ago, we'd be better off holding onto him.

I just wish we could get him to be more of a chaser and hunting tackles. Someone of his skill class is never going to win a game off his own boot but doesn't mean he can't do some heavy lifting either, if he could get some of that Sloane hunger going the other way then he'd be a great asset to hang onto while our younger class builds around him. Even though he wasn't amazing the other way, would be great if he could turn into a Scotty Thompson, a real bull in the middle where we can win the clearance himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back