Opinion Matt De Boer - What to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

He was never really good enough to play afl.. Just had a good engine and could find the footy

Good time to cut him
Thought his game in the prelim final last year was the best from him, and backed it up with a great year albeit for Peel. He seemed to improved on a few things. Shame he's 27 next season and was playing for a rebuilding club, he can offer a team like Richmond some hard grunt

Thought his game in the prelim final last year was the best from him, and backed it up with a great year albeit for Peel. He seemed to improved on a few things. Shame he's 27 next season and was playing for a rebuilding club, he can offer a team like Richmond some hard grunt
I thought the same about michie and Ballard :rolleyes:

Can start a fruitful legal career in Perth and win a few Sandovers with Claremont or relocate for 3-4 years with another club. Lawyers get paid well and he'd walk straight into a good gig - so not sure if the pay difference would probably be worth it.

Everything I'm hearing I'm around the grapewhine is that he's too comfortable to leave Perth - shame as I would've loved to have see him continue his AFL career.

Can start a fruitful legal career in Perth and win a few Sandovers with Claremont or relocate for 3-4 years with another club. Lawyers get paid well and he'd walk straight into a good gig - so not sure if the pay difference would probably be worth it.

Everything I'm hearing I'm around the grapewhine is that he's too comfortable to leave Perth - shame as I would've loved to have see him continue his AFL career.
Still hearing if he doesn't get picked up he will be at Perth with his buddy.

Surely nothing comfortable about being on the outer at Freo for the last 2 years. I'd love to see him with fresh start at another club too. Time to be a lawyer when he's 30+.

Computers don't have lantern jaws or teeth like pianer keys synched to those glinty eyes:cool:
That's without mentioning intent so firm a cat couldn't scratch it.
Computers have no dress sense.o_O;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

even though he started as a Rookie pick in 2008-9, Matt De Boer would be financially well off to a degree.

He does a lot for charity, too, really generous with his time. I hope he continues that post AFL.

my corporate law lawyer friend thinks over half of the jobs lawyers do will be done by computer programs in 10 years. like there are heaps of stuff they cant charge for anymore because a PC does what a junior would take 3 weeks to do in a few minutes.

It's not just lawyering.

Two great books -

Humans are Underrated by Geoff Colvin, and Rise of the Robots by Martin Ford

In my industry AI and machine learning are causing massive shifts and forcing businesses to evolve (or die) - we love it. I see tech disruption as an opportunity to provide better outcomes to people, so it's not really a big deal if you embrace change.

Part of the reason is that there's just way too many law graduates compared to the amount of jobs available. That's nothing to do with technology, it's more to do with 50% of people going to university nowadays, when what we really need are plumbers and electricians.

Two great books -

Humans are Underrated by Geoff Colvin, and Rise of the Robots by Martin Ford

In my industry AI and machine learning are causing massive shifts and forcing businesses to evolve (or die) - we love it. I see tech disruption as an opportunity to provide better outcomes to people, so it's not really a big deal if you embrace change.

The video makes a strong point about the number of jobs in most industries that will be available as a result of these disruptions. Despite all the optimism in the world, there is no way that more jobs will be created as a result of automation, because the point is to reduce costs ie wages.

You can embrace change all you like, but you will still be unnnecessary.

Part of the reason is that there's just way too many law graduates compared to the amount of jobs available. That's nothing to do with technology, it's more to do with 50% of people going to university nowadays, when what we really need are plumbers and electricians.
Get your hand off it, that is not even close to accurate. It might be become accurate if you include all the people studying at TAFE's, you know, where they train plumbers and electricians, and accredited training providers. Maybe 1/4 the population have a degree.

I've been a lawyer for around 9 years now, and even when I graduated there was an oversupply of law grads. Since then, 2 other universities have added law schools and the economy has tanked, so jobs very hard to come by. But I'm sure being a former AFL player would help.!

But seriously, who'd want to be stuck being a lawyer when you could be playing AFL footy for a living!

Maybe he does, but if I had a law commerce / double degree I don't think I'd just write commerce down on my profile and leave out the law part.

This is from a q and a he did on the freo website

"What would you love to do after your football career? :)

I am currently studying law/commerce at UWA Jack so hopefully I'll put that degree to good use!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back