Recommitted Matt Flynn [re-signed for two years]

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Huge game from Flynn - great hands, and can clunk a goal (or two). Just needs to work on his tackling technique.
Any chance Briggs or Flynn will available in the off-season? Suns needs desperately ruck/forward to complement King/Witts. Besides CJ both look to me like ideal candidates. Is actually Briggs/Flynn getting ahead of Preuss while he's injured? It does look like.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Any chance Briggs or Flynn will available in the off-season? Suns needs desperately ruck/forward to complement King/Witts. Besides CJ both look to me like ideal candidates. Is actually Briggs/Flynn getting ahead of Preuss while he's injured? It does look like.
No idea, but Flynn is out of contract at year's end, Briggs is not. Most fans on the GWS board would like to see Flynn & Briggs play together for an extended period. We now won't see Preuss this year, so they have that chance to get ahead of Preuss.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Braydon Preuss is an enigma
26 years old and played just 18 games at 3 clubs and has a developed body from day 1

If i was GWS i wouldnt be having big expectations of him and Flynn and Briggs are better long term (and short term options)

Preuss with be at his 4th club when his contract is finished
1623676315139.png

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

Nope. We need 3 rucks on the list, rarely are they all fit and the competition for spots is healthy.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I understand that but all of them would like to get regular games. One could drop out.

Briggs is from Pennant Hills in Western Sydney, no way the club would let him walk out without a fight. Flynn has been earmarked as Mumford's replacement for years, he has finally developed after injuries and bad luck kept him out. Academy product from the Riverina. These 2 are currently 21 and 23, still young for ruckman. Preuss has 2 more years after this write off, he may not get another contract, the priority would be keeping the 2 younger ones but they are still not ready to play 22 matches a year.

Also the club stayed solid with Flynn during 6 years of development and injury .... very much doubt he will leave and he has said as much in interviews (however much we can trust that)
For a player like that they know they have to finally capitalise on money now after being base wage for 6 years

think that will be the main factor

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Also the club stayed solid with Flynn during 6 years of development and injury .... very much doubt he will leave and he has said as much in interviews (however much we can trust that)

Probably seen examples of players going either way. Mummyr fro example could hav egiven us a couple of years after we dragged him from obscurity but went for a better Swans offer.

How do you see all three rucks working... one has to miss out Preuess, Briggs or Flynn ... or do you see them all playing in the one side.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Probably seen examples of players going either way. Mummyr fro example could hav egiven us a couple of years after we dragged him from obscurity but went for a better Swans offer.

How do you see all three rucks working... one has to miss out Preuess, Briggs or Flynn ... or do you see them all playing in the one side.

As a Giants fan hoping for the Briggs and Flynn show to become the norm now that Preuss is out for the season. Sorry Preuss.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
As a Giants fan hoping for the Briggs and Flynn show to become the norm now that Preuss is out for the season. Sorry Preuss.

As much as Id like to add one, I cant say that would be a distasteful outcome.... to see a side who drafted and developed a slow cook player to then get the reward long term.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

Preuss will be the player that will make way for the others
adds nothing apart from having size

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Preuss I believe is contracted for another 3 years

Whereas both Briggs and Flynn are out of contract this year

Yeah no.
Flynn and Briggs are our future, Preuss isn’t on a big contract and wanted to prove himself. Unfortunately, for him, his injuries have paved the way for the Flynn and Briggs show which is great for us.
Briggs is contracted to next year too.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Preuss I believe is contracted for another 3 years

Whereas both Briggs and Flynn are out of contract this year

Preuss is contracted until 2023 so another 2 years, not 3
Briggs contracted until 2022
only Flynn out of contract this year.

couple of things though,

Briggs a Western Sydney boy, been with the Giants since he was 12 - only club he’s ever supported.
Flynn also been with the Giants since he was 12 (don‘t know who he supported growing up) but the Giants stuck with him through years of NEAFL and a knee reconstruction when many other clubs would have delisted him by now.
Preuss was given the #11 jumper.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Realistically, what would it take to pry him from the Giants - GWS fans?

I think he’d be great partnered with Marshall in our dual ruck strategy for life after Ryder
Why would GWS give away the only decent young player in their weakest line?

I'm not even sure if it's a late 1st gets it done since GWS barely needs another high 1st round 18 year old draftee let alone a late 1st.

Back