Roast Matt Hass is garbage and the Crows fitness is below AFL standard

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think so, as I didn’t suggest he be on the panel in the first post. More in a role that specifically oversees the fitness department so we benefit from his strengths.

So he would be even further removed from any game day decisions regarding game style.

But even if he was on a coaching panel (which he probably wouldn’t want anyway) I doubt at 64/65 he’s looking to usurp a Head Coaching gig.

It's not as much as he wants the role, it's that there is already an established relationship with two of the heads of the club in Roo and Chapman, and probably trust with Roo.

As we've seen, that's a very dangerous thing as Roo prioritises mates and could easily undermine a head coach ideas and vision just by proxy. After all, it gives an easy route for ideas to get up to the top.

I'd be flattered if we could play Neil Craig brand football at the moment.

I'm not saying we SHOULD bring him back, but he's inarguably an upgrade on most of our staff at the moment. He'd be a better head coach, a better director of football, a better football manager, a better high performance manager.

Hell he'd probaly be a better CEO or chairman too.

He had his flaws and limitations, but he was at his core a competent person.

I agree. At his core he was competent. However, this club will only proceed to go backwards if we keep bringing in people Roo likes/trusts. The wrong people are at the top to allow for positives to come from those kinds of legacy moves.

Above all, this club needs to slash and burn a lot of ideas about football, and start afresh. Hiring Neil in any capacity would end up playing a role in preventing that.

It's not as much as he wants the role, it's that there is already an established relationship with two of the heads of the club in Roo and Chapman, and probably trust with Roo.

As we've seen, that's a very dangerous thing as Roo prioritises mates and could easily undermine a head coach ideas and vision just by proxy. After all, it gives an easy route for ideas to get up to the top.

I agree. At his core he was competent. However, this club will only proceed to go backwards if we keep bringing in people Roo likes/trusts. The wrong people are at the top to allow for positives to come from those kinds of legacy moves.

Above all, this club needs to slash and burn a lot of ideas about football, and start afresh. Hiring Neil in any capacity would end up playing a role in preventing that.
I had a brain fart a month or two back and thought there'd be worse options than Craig. On reflection we really need to get someone new in.

Agree 100% we should NOT bring Craig back.

All I'm saying is that if we did he'd still be an upgrade over what we have currently.

So you're worried he might influence the teams game style by getting pressure put on the coaches via the connections in the boardroom using the authority of a non coaching panel role that oversees the effectiveness of our fitness department?

Wow, I mean I love a good long bow drawing as much as the next guy but this is a doosy!

If Fog isn't fit this far into a season who is more likely at fault? Fog or the fitness guys?

Both, not like Fogs a first-year player, he should have some idea about how fit he should be. Ideally, you want the fitness team to be having reel guys in cause they're pushing too hard by themselves. That being said it seems like the vast majority of our list doesn't know what's required which is where Haas and co should be stepping in.

Funnily enough, the guys that look to be in the best shape (Doedee, Keays, and Laird) have been our best performers.

The other thing that the Crows seem to be ‘worst in comp’ in is tackling. Our technique is terrible (just look at the Bulldogs.) Lack of fitness also contributes to the ability to tackle. Add the 2 together to get game losing performances.

Who is our tackling coach? Do we have one?
Has been terrible for a very long time with the exception of some cameo performances.

I seem to recall something about players borrowing equipment from the club. Not sure who or to what extent.
There were videos on players instas of what gear they had and what they were doing.

I don't think the gear was the problem.

Has been terrible for a very long time with the exception of some cameo performances.
Even when the Crows were winning games the tackling has been bad. How often does a Crows player tackle the Opposition but he get the handball out to a team mate but the Crows player gets tackled and it goes strait to the other team? I'd say most the time.

Also if only 50% of our players are using kangatech that means

1)there isn't much trust in the tech amongst players
2)there isn't much trust in our fitness staff like Saunders and Hass who are presumably telling them it's a good thing.

Tbh this news is actually worrying me more than if they were all using it (as much as I think its snake oil), simply because it is another example of distrust between players and the club.

also it wasn't ALWAYS only 50%. when I read the research article saunders recently put out his sample size for his study made it clear that the entire playing list were using it.

So something has happened between preseason a few years back and now to take it from 100% uptake to 50%.

I'll double check my memory when I have access to the article at work tomorrow, but assuming my memory is correct this is pretty damning stuff. bet the media would love to run a story on 50% of the players abandoning kangatech at the Crows.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Reilly on AA just said also that Fog's fitness isn't up to AFL standard. I wish they would actually follow up and ask why an AFL player isn't fit?

I was always under the impression (perhaps wrongly), that all training was done at the club. Is that not the case? Or are players supposed to be improving their fitness outside of training?

So Reilly on AA just said also that Fog's fitness isn't up to AFL standard. I wish they would actually follow up and ask why an AFL player isn't fit?

I was always under the impression (perhaps wrongly), that all training was done at the club. Is that not the case? Or are players supposed to be improving their fitness outside of training?
I thought I heard somewhere during pre season he had a good pre season....... so obviously lost a lot during injury period, I put that on fitness staff

Thought that if their GPS numbers were down during games,they had to do extra during the week to get numbers up?

They are given programs to follow over the off-season and breaks, but Nicks has also said if you're just putting in the work at training and think that will be enough then you're behind the pack.

2)there isn't much trust in our fitness staff like Saunders and Hass who are presumably telling them it's a good thing.

Tbh this news is actually worrying me more than if they were all using it (as much as I think its snake oil), simply because it is another example of distrust between players and the club.

also it wasn't ALWAYS only 50%. when I read the research article saunders recently put out his sample size for his study made it clear that the entire playing list were using it.

So something has happened between preseason a few years back and now to take it from 100% uptake to 50%.

I'll double check my memory when I have access to the article at work tomorrow, but assuming my memory is correct this is pretty damning stuff. bet the media would love to run a story on 50% of the players abandoning kangatech at the Crows.
I'd say the thing that happened was the run of using it in 2018 where it stuffed up a lot of players because we didn't use it properly.

Wasn't happy to hear him say that either, see I don't have a problem with Kangatech, simply don't know enough about it, but assume all clubs are using a number of systems we don't hear about.

The thing is though, it either works or it doesn't.

If it works, it's not optional.

If they don't know if it works, find something they know does.

What other aspects of the program are optional?

Wasn't happy to hear him say that either, see I don't have a problem with Kangatech, simply don't know enough about it, but assume all clubs are using a number of systems we don't hear about.

The thing is though, it either works or it doesn't.

If it works, it's not optional.

If they don't know if it works, find something they know does.

What other aspects of the program are optional?
Skills training

Clubs Days Break Differentials

From Round 3 onwards. For example, Adelaide have altogether 9 days less rest than their opponents over the year while Brisbane have 4 days more rest.

Days break differential:
Adelaide -9
Brisbane +4
Carlton +6
Collingwood -3
Essendon -1
Fremantle -12
Geelong +5
Gold Coast -1
Greater Western Sydney -7
Hawthorn -10
Melbourne +1
North Melbourne -8
Port Adelaide +11
Richmond +14
St Kilda +2
Sydney +5
West Coast -8
Western Bulldogs +11
Now, lets look at the ladder...well, what do you know!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back