Roast Matt Hass is garbage and the Crows fitness is below AFL standard

Remove this Banner Ad

The other thing that the Crows seem to be ‘worst in comp’ in is tackling. Our technique is terrible (just look at the Bulldogs.) Lack of fitness also contributes to the ability to tackle. Add the 2 together to get game losing performances.

Who is our tackling coach? Do we have one?
We've been a terrible tackling team for years. At least we have a smidgeon of intent with it now.

Thought that if their GPS numbers were down during games,they had to do extra during the week to get numbers up?

Our fitness is miles behind the competitions.

Last year in games played we came last for total distance covered, second last total distance covered at high speed and last for total sprints.

So Reilly on AA just said also that Fog's fitness isn't up to AFL standard. I wish they would actually follow up and ask why an AFL player isn't fit?

I was always under the impression (perhaps wrongly), that all training was done at the club. Is that not the case? Or are players supposed to be improving their fitness outside of training?

Sounds like a load of crap, designed to hide the fact we are playing Fog in the twos so we can carry a cooked senior player to a personal milestone. Just like dropping ROB so a departing Jacobs could get to 200 last year.

******* pathetic.

So Reilly on AA just said also that Fog's fitness isn't up to AFL standard. I wish they would actually follow up and ask why an AFL player isn't fit?

I was always under the impression (perhaps wrongly), that all training was done at the club. Is that not the case? Or are players supposed to be improving their fitness outside of training?

None of our players have AFL standard fitness.

Also if only 50% of our players are using kangatech that means

1)there isn't much trust in the tech amongst players
2)there isn't much trust in our fitness staff like Saunders and Hass who are presumably telling them it's a good thing.

Tbh this news is actually worrying me more than if they were all using it (as much as I think its snake oil), simply because it is another example of distrust between players and the club.

also it wasn't ALWAYS only 50%. when I read the research article saunders recently put out his sample size for his study made it clear that the entire playing list were using it.

So something has happened between preseason a few years back and now to take it from 100% uptake to 50%.

I'll double check my memory when I have access to the article at work tomorrow, but assuming my memory is correct this is pretty damning stuff. bet the media would love to run a story on 50% of the players abandoning kangatech at the Crows.

You’re 100% right.

This is insane - everyday we reveal new levels of incompetence and stupidity.

Also if only 50% of our players are using kangatech that means

1)there isn't much trust in the tech amongst players
2)there isn't much trust in our fitness staff like Saunders and Hass who are presumably telling them it's a good thing.

Tbh this news is actually worrying me more than if they were all using it (as much as I think its snake oil), simply because it is another example of distrust between players and the club.

also it wasn't ALWAYS only 50%. when I read the research article saunders recently put out his sample size for his study made it clear that the entire playing list were using it.

So something has happened between preseason a few years back and now to take it from 100% uptake to 50%.

I'll double check my memory when I have access to the article at work tomorrow, but assuming my memory is correct this is pretty damning stuff. bet the media would love to run a story on 50% of the players abandoning kangatech at the Crows.

Sad to hear
1597891594628.png

Why are we shelling out all this money for Kangatech and Saunders if we're not even going to make all the players use it? Either all in or get rid of the thing and bring in someone competent to replace Hass.
Our club needs to look at what the top clubs are doing and replicate that. If the best teams have Kangatech or something equivalent, it stays. If they dont, get rid of it. I'm sick and tired of the Crows trying to get ahead of the game with technology when they can't even get the basics right.

Our club needs to look at what the top clubs are doing and replicate that. If the best teams have Kangatech or something equivalent, it stays. If they dont, get rid of it. I'm sick and tired of the Crows trying to get ahead of the game with technology when they can't even get the basics right.
Sports science is overrated in our game

Brouch just said on AA that kangatech is opt in, about 50% are using it. Said he thought of those with hamstring injuries, more are not using it
It's unbelievable. We spent a bucket load on tech. Then we spend a bucket load getting the inventor of the tech to come in and correct it's mismanagement. Then we say "only use it if you want to".

How are they managing those players for whom they have no data? How can they possibly structure a fitness program around such an arrangement? FMD

It's unbelievable. We spent a bucket load on tech. Then we spend a bucket load getting the inventor of the tech to come in and correct it's mismanagement. Then we say "only use it if you want to".

How are they managing those players for whom they have no data? How can they possibly structure a fitness program around such an arrangement? FMD
It's a complete shambles. I have no faith in the people running this club and it makes me sick.
We could assemble the best list ever and I wouldn't be confident given the leadership.

It's a complete shambles. I have no faith in the people running this club and it makes me sick.
We could assemble the best list ever and I wouldn't be confident given the leadership.
We are in the #1 professional sporting competition in the land. I wish we'd start acting like we were. It just blows my mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are in the #1 professional sporting competition in the land. I wish we'd start acting like we were. It just blows my mind.
Not sure where to even begin. Heads are completely in the sands of West Lakes right now and they all think they are the right people to lead us forward.
Stephen Rowe is right to say we should blow the whole thing up and start again.

Sports science is overrated in our game
I don't know if that's true. We don't win our 97/98 Grand Finals without Neil Craig's sports science background and capability of producing a fit side.

I just want the club to stop trying to be too smart for their own good and look at how successful football teams are actually run.

OK from the article I mentioned earlier https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2020.03.006

Elite male footballers from an elite AFL club were approached to participate in the study during the 2017–2018 season

A total of 45 elite male footballers were recruited to participate in the study. Data from four (4) athletes were excluded due to existing lower limb injuries that prevented pain-free testing or were at a stage in rehabilitation where their loading and response to loading varied from week to week.

So we've gone from 100% participation with kangatech during the 2018 season to it being voluntary with 50% participation now.

Am I stretching by thinking that there are a lot of journalists in the AFL who would love this story?

And before someone says it might be the Kangaroos not the Crows, this image is in the journal article:

gr2.jpg

OK from the article I mentioned earlier https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2020.03.006

So we've gone from 100% participation with kangatech during the 2018 season to it being voluntary with 50% participation now.

Am I stretching by thinking that there are a lot of journalists in the AFL who would love this story?

And before someone says it might be the Kangaroos not the Crows, this image is in the journal article:

View attachment 940494

Based on the study, the equipment works very well. Must be from the 2019 season though cause the players in the photo weren't on our list in 2018

Based on the study, the equipment works very well. Must be from the 2019 season though cause the players in the photo weren't on our list in 2018

Based on the study it has good test/retest accuracy. So it's consistent, not necessarily beneficial or even accurate (though I suspect it is also accurate, it's just not something proved by the study).

Is it better than other similar tools? that conclusion can't be drawn from the study and I've listed the reasons why in a previous post.

View attachment 940494
Butts, Sholl and Jones...and not a single hammy between them.

See, the technology works!

Based on the study it has good test/retest accuracy. So it's consistent, not necessarily beneficial or even accurate (though I suspect it is also accurate, it's just not something proved by the study).

Is it better than other similar tools? that conclusion can't be drawn from the study and I've listed the reasons why in a previous post.
They've been using it at North with some very good results for a lot longer than us. It was developed by and is part owned by North execs

They've been using it at North with some very good results for a lot longer than us. It was developed by and is part owned by North execs

I was just correcting him about what the study actually indicated.

Also if you are still of the view it is a quality product are you surprised to hear it has gone from 100 to 50 percent usage in a few years?

Given the lack of scientific evidence as to its effectiveness the anecdotal evidence from those who actually use it is the only real tool we have to go off is it not?

I was just correcting him about what the study actually indicated.

Also if you are still of the view it is a quality product are you surprised to hear it has gone from 100 to 50 percent usage in a few years?

Given the lack of scientific evidence as to its effectiveness the anecdotal evidence from those who actually use it is the only real tool we have to go off is it not?
Do we actually know that there was 100% take up of it's use in the first year? Or is that just your assumption?

Do we actually know that there was 100% take up of it's use in the first year? Or is that just your assumption?

... did you read my previous posts? I quoted a scientific paper written by sanders which had Crows players as his cohort across a single preseason. 45 players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back