Opinion Matt Priddis discussion.

Where do you stand on the matt priddis question?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember him bombing it quickly inside 50 to the 30m hotspot a couple of times from about 60m out when he had more time to try and spot something up. Probably a bit too used to Kennedy making something out of those kind of entries once every two or three goes at it.

Not a terrible game from Priddis but not even in the top 10 for mine. he is just struggling terribly if the play opens out at all. He did have a nice highlight muffing the handball receive that sent Duggan continuing on his bullocking run.

Hey as I pointed out earlier he is another Duggan highlight. With Gaff as well when Duggan ignores those 2 easy handball receive targets and spots up Sheed 30m down after negotiating a bit of traffic. Was a sign of the times.

On what footballing planet is 41% DE not terrible?! We won despite this handicap. What am I talking about, tackles win premierships don't they...
I remember the granny in twelvety seven where we won 100 tackles to ten.

Iam not a great Priddis fan but thought his kicking was good on thursday night.
Also he was under pressure for nearly every possession, cant remember any possessions where he had time.
He showed some very good physicality very early in the first quarter as well.
What thursday night showed for me was Priddis and Mitchell can play together, they worked together
well, when we dont have Redden, Masten and Butler in the side slowing us down.
Also Priddis is a much better kick than Redden, redden kicking in the walf at the weekend was horrendus
and Masten couldnt get a tackle at wafl level
His kicking was terrible. He didn't hit one player with a kick and he missed a goal from not far out. Mostly his kicks weren't under pressure although he did get boot to a couple during tight situations and these were just scrubbers of about a metre. Even though Redden is not the best kick he is certainly better than Priddis who is totally 1 sided and can only kick with reasonable accuracy if he has time and space. Even then about 20 to 30 metres is his limit

His kicking was terrible. He didn't hit one player with a kick and he missed a goal from not far out. Mostly his kicks weren't under pressure although he did get boot to a couple during tight situations and these were just scrubbers of about a metre. Even though Redden is not the best kick he is certainly better than Priddis who is totally 1 sided and can only kick with reasonable accuracy if he has time and space. Even then about 20 to 30 metres is his limit

exactly, he seemed a player obsessed with just getting a stat on the board for himself. The lifeblood of his existence - pointless stats.

When he has so many actual deficiencies you can discuss why must you go and invent a tasteless straw-man to attack?
Yes. Because that's how performance measured, selection warranted and contracts can be valued. Collecting statistics. More the better is usually the rule. And it is the 'smokescreen' which has magically been lifted now he is averaging ten less of them revealing these "many actual deficiencies" (I and a few others have been bleating on about for donkeys)

:rolleyes:

Everything you ever read about Priddis off-field suggests he's a humble, unassuming bloke who helps little old ladies cross the street. Not the sort to pour obsessively over his stats from the previous game.

Far more likely that he's obsessed with what has been his main job for the last decade - getting first hands on the ball. His numbers are a byproduct of that, not the driving force.

:rolleyes:

Everything you ever read about Priddis off-field suggests he's a humble, unassuming bloke who helps little old ladies cross the street. Not the sort to pour obsessively over his stats from the previous game.

Far more likely that he's obsessed with what has been his main job for the last decade - getting first hands on the ball. His numbers are a byproduct of that, not the driving force.

That may be true and is what I think he's probably like too. But if you're a competitive beast even if you are 'humble' .. we've all been there even at the crappy level of sports where we play ourselves.. You want to play and think you deserve to. You do what is required that is in your best interest to get selected. You point to your past performances, innings etc and the measures used to justify your selection. I'm not saying Priddis walks into match committee with a print out of the past weeks stats to wave in their faces. But we all know for 20 years now it's stats/numbers which is worshiped as the driving force determining 'form' or performance. They are certainly his KPIs. And what has been rammed at us by 'Priddites' ad nauseam in his defense.

Are you gonna drop a bloke who last week got 35 disposals? If I'm the bloke who got 35 disposals, I'm sure as hell gonna think/say and advocate I play again the next week and feel safe. The pressure is now on for the first time in ages (ever) from media, fans and prob coaches for Priddis to get the numbers all were accustomed to. To keep your spot you do what you gotta do (KPI's) to keep it. For Priddis, just get those numbers is a driving force IMO for sure.

That may be true and is what I think he's probably like too. But if you're a competitive beast even if you are 'humble' .. we've all been there even at the crappy level of sports where we play ourselves.. You want to play and think you deserve to. You do what is required that is in your best interest to get selected. You point to your past performances, innings etc and the measures used to justify your selection. I'm not saying Priddis walks into match committee with a print out of the past weeks stats to wave in their faces. But we all know for 20 years now it's stats/numbers which is worshiped as the driving force determining 'form' or performance. They are certainly his KPIs. And what has been rammed at us by 'Priddites' ad nauseam in his defense.

Are you gonna drop a bloke who last week got 35 disposals? If I'm the bloke who got 35 disposals, I'm sure as hell gonna think/say and advocate I play again the next week and feel safe. The pressure is now on for the first time in ages (ever) from media, fans and prob coaches for Priddis to get the numbers all were accustomed to. To keep your spot you do what you gotta do (KPI's) to keep it. For Priddis, just get those numbers is a driving force IMO for sure.

Especially when he is asking for an uncontested possession off of a teammate when a) his uncontested possessions are shithouse b) his decision making even when given a long time is no better then his throw it on the boot decision making in packs c) he cant run and carry the ball because he cant run and is allergic to holding on to the ball for longer than a split second to make a decision perhaps a by product of the cant run.

I would assume he thinks he is benefiting the team and I dont have a problem with him per se wanting the ball I have a problem with the club not adding "uncontested possessions" to his list of things that aren't his job i.e. chasing, marking, hitting a teammate with a kick & not bombing blindly to a zoned off half back etc.

We'll never know I guess, but the suggestion that he's just trying to get touches for the sake of his numbers is pretty bloody laughable in my view.

When hes demanding handball gives and is stationary as jetta, shep etc stream past at full pace you have to stop and think.

He could be using that inside grunt of his to block and shepherd - the same way that his prodigious strength works to tackle and make sure tackles stick could be used to protect faster and better ball users.

Instead he demands little dinky handball gives that would be great if he used it to absorb a player and give off to the fast user again - but he doesnt - he just slows the whole thing down with slow decision making.

Its almost like he is just stat padding

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would assume he thinks he is benefiting the team and I dont have a problem with him per se wanting the ball I have a problem with the club not adding "uncontested possessions" to his list of things that aren't his job i.e. chasing, marking, hitting a teammate with a kick & not bombing blindly to a zoned off half back etc.

yepp for coaches and especially fans alike, he is not required to go chase or defend and do those things etc. too. Whereas every other player is and gets howled at when they don't!? (why do u think that might be eh.. ? STATS of course).
"goes missing" "work rate etc.." all the usual crappolla is thrown at them. Along with their dropping.

When hes demanding handball gives and is stationary as jetta, shep etc stream past at full pace you have to stop and think.

He could be using that inside grunt of his to block and shepherd - the same way that his prodigious strength works to tackle and make sure tackles stick could be used to protect faster and better ball users.

Instead he demands little dinky handball gives that would be great if he used it to absorb a player and give off to the fast user again - but he doesnt - he just slows the whole thing down with slow decision making.

Yepp that's all I'm saying.. and it has been for years in how he plays. So what is the explanation then? team rules? "roles" ?? bomb at all costs? hospital handpass ya mates? So that's our "strategy"? Awesome.

exactly, he seemed a player obsessed with just getting a stat on the board for himself. The lifeblood of his existence - pointless stats.

I've only noticed the one blatant grab for a stat that stood out for me was in the Bulldogs game.Duggan had broken away and was running and the best option was too kick into the fwd line Priddis appeared a metre or two away and demanded the ball ,Duggan hesitates because he knows the best option is too take responsibility and kick it but after seeing the pleading in Priddis's eyes he bows to seniority and handballs then Priddis proceeds to kick it straight to a WB defender ..

May have been 3rd quarter ..

Last edited:

Well that's definitely poor judgment and a lack of recognition of his abilities/weaknesses, still don't think it's done just for the sake of his possession count though.

Well that's definitely poor judgment and a lack of recognition of his abilities/weaknesses, still don't think it's done just for the sake of his possession count though.

So you've never played in team sport even yaself where it felt like there was one bloke on ya team who was a "hog" ? ?

So you've never played in team sport even yaself where it felt like there was one bloke on ya team who was a "hog" ? ?

I've got a teammate like that right now, actually.

Priddis doesn't seem the sort of bloke. He does seem like the sort of bloke who wants to help the team and doesn't quite grasp his limitations.

I've got a teammate like that right now, actually.

Priddis doesn't seem the sort of bloke. He does seem like the sort of bloke who wants to help the team and doesn't quite grasp his limitations.

haha That's very diplomatic. I like it!! I'll have to remember to use it instead for next time I lose my s**t @thehogger in my team!

I don't think he's deliberately stat padding, I just think he has a genuine lack of awareness of his own deficiencies which has been exacerbated over the years by our coaches telling him how brilliant he is. I remember a news story which was posted on here a few years back with one of our assistant coaches about how Priddis' video reviews were the shortest of any player because he didn't have much of anything to work on.

Yeah i remember when i used to "help" my parents when i was like 4 - same same really - just got in the way and slowed things down.

Its the fact that hes been clearly told not to kick it yet hasnt been told not to call for it and instead block that does my head in.

Hes the absolute worst kick of a footy in the team - his handballing has no depth or subtlety and hes not creative in any way - these are his weaknesses and yet this is what he tries to do more of...... instead of using his strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back