Opinion Matt Priddis discussion.

Where do you stand on the matt priddis question?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Probably sixth behind Kerr, Kemp, Judd, Cousins, Matera.

Then you've got Embley, Braun, Mainwaring, with Gaff and Shuey climbing. Something like that.

6th!?! ahead the guys you even listed?? wowzers don't think so. How Shuey only got 10 votes was ridiculous

6th!?! ahead the guys you even listed?? wowzers don't think so. How Shuey only got 10 votes was ridiculous
Was surprised that Shuey didn't get more (and pissed off as I had a punt on him). Must mouth off to the umps or something...

Was surprised that Shuey didn't get more (and pissed off as I had a punt on him). Must mouth off to the umps or something...
i think maybe its that weird head rubbing and twitching thing he does might scare them too much...

Ive got this theory with the brownlow that you have to stand out physically as well - if you look different or run with a different gait you stand out whilst doing good things. Shueyvwoyld need a blonde mohawk and prob 5 more possies a game to get a charlie. Umpires dont notice quality of possession just quantity so a 21-25 game of perfection from a nondescript type wont often get votes from a 30+ guy who stands out from the pack

Ive got this theory with the brownlow that you have to stand out physically as well - if you look different or run with a different gait you stand out whilst doing good things. Shueyvwoyld need a blonde mohawk and prob 5 more possies a game to get a charlie. Umpires dont notice quality of possession just quantity so a 21-25 game of perfection from a nondescript type wont often get votes from a 30+ guy who stands out from the pack

Yeop, that also coupled with "reputation" created about players from the teams, media and comp itself. Which is all a stat-whoring possession obsession gathering mentality mostly. They can't say it doesn't influence their thinking.

Danger and Parker are pretty darn vanilla looking though, especially compared to Dusty!

Over his 219 game career Priddis averages 0.67 Brownlow votes per game. Can't be bothered working out any others, West Coast or otherwise, but I'd think that would be in the top echelon. Is the Brownlow a good indicator of a players performance? Does it overly emphasise those with big stats? Is it too much to ask the umps to umpire the game and work oit the best players? Is there an obvious better method for judging the best players? Yes, yes, no and no would be my answers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over his 219 game career Priddis averages 0.67 Brownlow votes per game. Can't be bothered working out any others, West Coast or otherwise, but I'd think that would be in the top echelon. Is the Brownlow a good indicator of a players performance? Does it overly emphasise those with big stats? Is it too much to ask the umps to umpire the game and work oit the best players? Is there an obvious better method for judging the best players? Yes, yes, no and no would be my answers.
Yes, yes, yes & yes for me

Probably sixth behind Kerr, Kemp, Judd, Cousins, Matera.

Then you've got Embley, Braun, Mainwaring, with Gaff and Shuey climbing. Something like that.

Interesting discussion. Mainy was a level ahead of the Braun, Embley type group. I'd have him the equal of Priddis. Different eras but Mainy was an absolutely key component of the best midfield in the league for half a decade.

What's also interesting is where one places guys like Lewis & Pyke. Both club champions in our clubs best era. Before Malthouse turned him into a half forward with a mid rotation role Lewis was our most dangerous mid and one of the leagues most exciting. Pyke was a key player from 1992-1995 through the middle and won the club champion in 1993. That was our clubs finest era.

All those 3 at their best were better mids than Priddis. I think memory dims things and numbers around the stoppage, and more stoppages elevates the usefulness of some skills that might not have been good enough to get a game in an earlier era.

But if you gave me 1990 Lewis or 1992-1995 Pyke or Mainy pre knee then all of those are better than Priddis.

People tend to forget that Mainy was a two time all Australian. I'd probably give priddis a spot on the bench, but imho he just isn't of the quality of a mainy, pyke or embers. Tough for those guys to shine with all the talent around.

Anyway, the point remains that Matt isn't the saviour and he isn't a grade. I was happy to see him return to handballing and absorbing tackles. Unless Shred or Yeo or Duggan step up our midfield just won't be good enough.

Last edited:
Shuey was clearly indisputably and obviously our best midfielder this year.

priddis got more than 50% more votes than him.

Explain that.

The Brownlow is an enigma and merit is only one part of the process for polling well as best I can tell.

Priddis had more poor games this season but his best games were definitely vote worthy. As a 'proven' poller he will drag some votes if he has a good day at the office.

Shuey is on the radar now as there was a bit of hype for him in the leadup. He will poll better next year...even if he plays worse :$

Shuey was clearly indisputably and obviously our best midfielder this year.

priddis got more than 50% more votes than him.

Explain that.

Pretty simple really, the umpires, as a collective, figured that in more games he was in the best 3 players on the ground. It's a subjective call like every other award. Different people view things differently on occasion. No one person or group of persons has a monopoly on wisdom. One thing that clearly works in Priddis' favour is his prior recognition as a vote winner. Players who have polled well previously are in the umpire's minds and get a head start. The same sort of thing happens in things like the All Australian team, sometimes guys are selected for what seems a body of work over a few seasons as opposed to the season they were selected in. Also you'll often notice a player who had a breakout year not getting many votes early but getting plenty late as, I think, the umpires become more aware if them. Good example I recall from decades ago was Mick Rea who kicked his 100th goal for the mighty Redlegs in the last match of the season. Yet on Sandover night he barely had a vote 2/3rds of the way through but came home like a steam train.

My guess is that next year if Shuey performs as well as this year he'll get more votes. Is that unfair? Impossible to accurately say, too many factors involved.

Yes, yes, yes & yes for me

Odd response. You say the Brownlow is a good indicator of a player's performance, but relies too much on stats, it is too much work for the umps to vote (even though the accusation often used is theyre simply using the stats sheet to cast their votes) and that there is a better system (though what that is you don't say).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back