Opinion Matt Priddis discussion.

Where do you stand on the matt priddis question?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lets not overstate it. He was very good in 2014, 2015 and 2016. He has gone backward this season. This point in his career was always coming.
By what measure? stats? the Bradbury brownlow he won? Our midfield is a shambles and has been while his has been in there. Yet he escapes any blame whatsoever from most. Gaff has been afforded the same luxury as well to some degree. Because.. stats stats stats - has totally protected them but to our downfall.

Priddis tailed off late last year and then went on to have back surgery in the off season. That is kind of a big deal IMO.

He hasn't come back to his prior level. Will he at his age? I don't know but I am thinking at this stage he needs to be mindful of the rest of his life, kids etc. The guy is a warrior and I would hate for him to have serious long term health issues slogging it out in a wasted season.

That'd be the Scott Thompson who played 22 games last year, missed the entire pre-season this year due to injury and now can't break into the 22 of the side on top of the ladder.

Slightly different from Priddis' position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lowest contested possession numbers since 2010 & career low in clearances.

At 32 i reckon he's done

No shame in that as he just cannot consistently compete anymore with 2 or 3 oppo players trying to repeatedly smash into him in contests. In addition, he has lost his one touch play ability. However, he will still try his guts out like the workhorse he is but that alone just wont cut it.

That'd be the Scott Thompson who played 22 games last year, missed the entire pre-season this year due to injury and now can't break into the 22 of the side on top of the ladder.

Same same really, Scott Thompson is an aging inside midfielder, playing in a top side, and was often maligned last year by crows supporters due to his increasing deficiencies (slow, turns the ball over, etc). He may have injured himself during the preseason, but this isn't the preseason anymore and right now he is ready to play for the Crows in the AFL.

He simply isn't getting a game anymore because he isn't good enough.

Has been off this season, but our whole midfield has been off this season. It's just not working, no one's getting massive number's in the middle. Any other year we'd at least have one player in the first 5 that gets 40+, for mine it speaks of poor chemistry in the midfield. Not enough give and get, enough overlapping run.

Regardless I'd play him for the rest of the year. If he gains form, great..... If he doesn't let him retire properly at the end of the year and start a mini rebuild over the off-season.

Same same really, Scott Thompson is an aging inside midfielder, playing in a top side, and was often maligned last year by crows supporters due to his increasing deficiencies (slow, turns the ball over, etc). He may have injured himself during the preseason, but this isn't the preseason anymore and right now he is ready to play for the Crows in the AFL.

Yep but he's coming off a nonexistent pre-season and now trying to get in a midfield that is flying and struggling to fit in guys like Brad Crouch, whereas Priddis was in the 22 from day 1 of the preseason and is currently only holding out Hutchings and some untried youngsters.

Yep but he's coming off a nonexistent pre-season and now trying to get in a midfield that is flying and struggling to fit in guys like Brad Crouch, whereas Priddis was in the 22 from day 1 of the preseason and is currently only holding out Hutchings and some untried youngsters.
Although he's been injured I beleive he was also told at the end of last year that he was no longer likely to be best 22 and given a coaching role within the crows to begin making the jump away from playing.

The difference is, with us Priddis would be rushed straight back into the side.. ;)

Yep. If Priddis injured himself in the preseason he would walk straight back into the side as soon as he was fit.

No shame in that as he just cannot consistently compete anymore with 2 or 3 oppo players trying to repeatedly smash into him in contests. In addition, he has lost his one touch play ability. However, he will still try his guts out like the workhorse he is but that alone just wont cut it.
One touch? He never had that? Guts and strength and an ability to read the ball in stoppages for sure but he was never a one touch player and his flattering stats from his work in close have kept him in the game. Even allowing for his lack of skill in kicking, spoiling and marking he would still be worth his game just for the times he battles on but unfortunately his complete lack of pace means other midfields simply run off him and it falls to too many others to cover for him.

Love the guy. Absolute stalwart for the club and has put everything into it and gotten the most out of himself from day 1. Has tailed off this year though, and I get he feeling the end is night for the Priddler (particularly when we're defending as has been mentioned). It would be great if we could rotate him elsewhere and reduce his midfield minutes for another young bloke (e.g. rotating with Duggan on the HFF, or Nelson in the backline), but he's one of the few real one position players. In the absence of any pressure from players coming up, he's still best 22. Redden should be taking over his spot about now, but the bloke is an absolute potato. I've got high hopes for Sheed taking his spot. Duggan showed a lot of poise in and under in parts on the weekend and will hopefully come along faster with more midfield minutes. For now, until one of Sheed, Duggan or Redden absolutely bang the door down and are better options, Priddis keeps his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back