domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
but you're the guy with the principles. I'm offering never to state an opinion on indigenous issues if that helps. I just need to find someone who is an expert on indigenous issues to tell me that I'll be helping by doing that.
You make statements on politics. Am I to assume you are an expert in that field?

Scribe26

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don't fling cheap insults. Point out the errors of my ways wise one.

I honestly don't have the time to pick apart every word from the text book of the ill-informed you've confidently spouted.

Trust me, I'd bloody love to - maybe I'll take some annual leave this week and really get into a debate on systematic, structural racism on a Collingwood forum where I occasionally sh1tpost. That sounds like an excellent use of my time.

Actually, I think what I will do instead is just accept that I am totally out of step with this contemporary way of thinking on racism and other similar topics. I have no more to say on the topic. I am obviously a racist and my opinion is worthless because I actually want to discuss based on evidence and experience which are apparently 'protected attributes' now.

Despite your sarcasm you have provided quite an accurate summation. My only change would be to add "hurtful" and "ignorant" to your description of your views.

Now imagine if you could acknowledge that what may appear to you to be reasonable and fair may in fact be incorrect and cause considerable harm and hurt to people. You can stop that by a small change in your actions, behavior and thinking. Would that be a possibility you would consider to ponder?

Before you get angry at him for "spilling club secrets! Oh the shock and horror!" just realise that nothing he says actually matters. View it through the prism of an old man looking for attention in a competitive shock jock world and move on with your life - don't give him, or any other clickbait bullshit, a second of your time
For a moment I had to check the thread title.
Sounded like a shorter grey haired bloke I know of.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I honestly don't have the time to pick apart every word from the text book of the ill-informed you've confidently spouted.

Trust me, I'd bloody love to - maybe I'll take some annual leave this week and really get into a debate on systematic, structural racism on a Collingwood forum where I occasionally sh1tpost. That sounds like an excellent use of my time.
I look forward to it. Structural, systemic racism. I feel like I've heard about it before. Is that something white people inflict on the rest of mankind or a human flaw exhibited by all races at some time?
I'm sure you will let me know.

Kalidakope

Team Captain
May 6, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our media has forever pumped up the X factor of our indigenous players and devote an entire round in recognition of what they have brought to the game of Aussie Rules. You can't accept that and have a meltdown when a negative trait is observed.
You are essentially correct, and that would be fine if the shitbags of this world didn't take certain negative stereotypes and use them to fool and inflame the ignorant and use them as an excuse to oppress, torture and murder the powerless

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
You make statements on politics. Am I to assume you are an expert in that field?

You miss my point. I say white people should leave the discussion, and not worry about ceremonials changes such as welcome to country. Certainly, if your house is said to be on indigenous land and you're made a refugee, then you have a stake in a discussion or resistance. You get upset by meaningless stuff being done, but a lot of culture is meaningless. 76 says that we should just re-educate ourselves to finding relevance in indigenous culture, but I would argue that it's better to just check out entirely.... stay at home. If you want to go to the footy and you see welcome to country, then check your phone....or do what's acceptable. There's nothing to get upset about.

A lot of white australians say that they dont like the disconnect that they feel with migrant culture coming in, or indigenous culture...etc etc. But just think of it like a reverse invasion. The indigenous people had to get used to a european culture invasion. Now white australians just have to make a few adjustments back.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Despite your sarcasm you have provided quite an accurate summation. My only change would be to add "hurtful" and "ignorant" to your description of your views.

Now imagine if you could acknowledge that what may appear to you to be reasonable and fair may in fact be incorrect and cause considerable harm and hurt to people. You can stop that by a small change in your actions, behavior and thinking. Would that be a possibility you would consider to ponder?

thats amazing. you have a "win" and the grundy say that he's going to vacate the field but you dont see that as enough.... you want to reprogram him like an evangelical...

thats amazing. you have a "win" and the grundy say that he's going to vacate the field but you dont see that as enough.... you want to reprogram him like an evangelical...

Yep, absolutely. Perhaps not "like an evangelical" but more of a rational, compassionate empathetic human being.

Missionaries are not a thing of the past. There are still plenty of them floating about the world preaching their arrogant belief to people with their own religions that only committed Christians will avoid eternal damnation. They are no more welcome now than they were 100 years ago. Interestingly, only Christians assume the role of missionaries and swan about third world and developing countries trying to convert.
Islam also has drastically overspent the soft cap on recruitment.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Has Rendell responded to the numbers quoted by the club? That to me is the crux of this one. They seem like those of a recruiter which is not to say they’re right or wrong or whether it’s standard practice for a list manager.

My feel for the role is that a list manager should be more invested in pro scouting and TPP management than going to watch Joe blow play out at Casey Fields on a Wednesday arvo. The numbers quoted to me give more of an indication that our internal setup is wrong rather than either of Rendell or Guy.

Put simply on the basis of the broader topic my take is we need more eyes at ground level in a part time capacity and the eventual replacement for Guy to be more involved with AFL matters (basically an expert pro scout who’s good with numbers). The statement honestly reads to me like Guy was being spread to thin...
Yes, he has, though he doesn't really go over the numbers again. He/the media were hardly likely to pass up an opportunity to keep this story going!: ‘Leaked from inside our change rooms’: Pies star opens up on ‘piercing’ De Goey chat (foxsports.com.au)
1620635132854.png

1620635265302.png

Rendell obviously wanted a fix for the issue which is a tick. He was obviously insensitive with how he conducted himself in doing it.
This a a deeper issue and he would have been better served (and even round up the other clubs), to strongly suggest the AFL (if they weren't already looking at it), to basically invest resources in having the best and most appropriate advice for longer lasting outcomes.
The first half to a tee. He made a good point stupidly. With the second half, that seems to me to have been what he was doing. He was talking to the AFL inclusion officer, exaggerating the potential outcomes whilst trying to get the AFL to do more.

My understanding is that Rendell once upon a time sought to bring the League's attention to the fact that Indigenous kids were having a hard time in adjusting to the system.

Matt Rendell might not look like a social justice campaigner, but I always viewed his observations as a positive contribution to the cause of calling out and undermining the disadvantages of Aboriginal players which were --and still are-- inherent in the system. Systemic racism if you will.

The AFL has always claimed to be Australia's game, an Indigenous game, and people like Rendell were able to see through the marketing and point out the hurdles which prevent this claim from becoming a deeper reality.

The notion that he shouldn't have said anything is a dangerous one, and it stinks of the sort of status quo thinking which keeps racist structures in place.

As for Rendell's carping about Collingwood, he should blow away or just shut the f*** up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Yep, absolutely. Perhaps not "like an evangelical" but more of a rational, compassionate empathetic human being.

well you need to realise that many of us dont come up to your standards as a human being. I would argue that it's not rational to expect the rest of the world to be empathetic... so if someone says that he is going to go home and remain detached from your crusade, then you should see that as a win.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The first half to a tee. He made a good point stupidly. With the second half, that seems to me to have been what he was doing. He was talking to the AFL inclusion officer, exaggerating the potential outcomes whilst trying to get the AFL to do more.

well he learnt his lesson. he didnt have the credentials to ask the AFL to do more. He should have bitten his lip and just recruited the best available.

Absolutely, but hardly anything new in football.

He weighed up his worth as a talent scout against what he could be worth as a media dial-a-quote and thought it'd be easier to just say something controversial every other week.

Maybe he should stick to being a talent scout.

Looking across the AFL media landscape, how many folks from clubland have forged a media career by poo’ing on their ex-employer from a high altitude?

Mick probably got away with it to some extent, but can’t think of too many others?

Has Rendell responded to the numbers quoted by the club? That to me is the crux of this one. They seem like those of a recruiter which is not to say they’re right or wrong or whether it’s standard practice for a list manager.

My feel for the role is that a list manager should be more invested in pro scouting and TPP management than going to watch Joe blow play out at Casey Fields on a Wednesday arvo. The numbers quoted to me give more of an indication that our internal setup is wrong rather than either of Rendell or Guy.

Put simply on the basis of the broader topic my take is we need more eyes at ground level in a part time capacity and the eventual replacement for Guy to be more involved with AFL matters (basically an expert pro scout who’s good with numbers). The statement honestly reads to me like Guy was being spread to thin...
I agree. I would have thought that the list manager's job is to be expert on AFL players and their valuations.

well you need to realise that many of us dont come up to your standards as a human being. I would argue that it's not rational to expect the rest of the world to be empathetic... so if someone says that he is going to go home and remain detached from your crusade, then you should see that as a win.

What standards are you referring to? Not condoning racism?

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
What standards are you referring to? Not condoning racism?

I havent seen anyone condone racism in this thread...but I dont have your standards and as I said, I'm white so I cant really assess it properly.

I suggest that there's a long trail of too much white activism in this issue. For example, if Rendell was trying to improve things for indigenous kids, he shouldn't have. it wasn't his job and he didnt have the knowledge. Likewise, he shouldnt be making his methodology for recruitment known, if it involves indigenous kids. He opens himself up for criticism because he is dealing with issues that he isnt qualified to discuss. He just needed to do his job.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
But they don't go door to door in foreign countries converting people. Christians have the missionary business all to themselves.

Those scientologists used to rope in people from footpaths in front of their offices......hare krishnas have those low priced lunches ... they all have their recruiting strategies..

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Those scientologists used to rope in people from footpaths in front of their offices......hare krishnas have those low priced lunches ... they all have their recruiting strategies..
Hare Krishnas are generous, entertaining and colourful and don't seek to convert. Go to a Sikh temple and they will give anyone who attends their temple a meal, just as they have been providing food packages here for the needy during covid, and they don't want you to become a Sikh. If you are not borne a Hindu, you can't subsequently become one, but I have always found them hospitable when you visit their temples. Buddhists are not interested in converting though many westerners have willingly become Buddhist as they are attracted by some of their practices and philosophy. Extreme Muslims are in a category of their own.

Last edited:

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Hare Krishnas are generous, entertaining and colourful and don't seek to convert. Go to a Sikh temple and they will give anyone who attends their temple a meal, just as they have been providing food packages here for the needy during covid, and they don't want you to become a Sikh. If you are not borne a Hindu, you can't subsequently become one, but I have always found them hospitable when you visit their temple. Buddhists are not interested in converting though many westerners have willingly become Buddhist as they are attracted by some of their practices and philosophy. Extreme Muslims are in a category of their own.

well you could argue that missionaries were doing a similar thing to the hare krishnas...... feeding the natives after planting their crops on the natives land....curing them of diseases that they brought to natives' lands... all the altruistic stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back