Matt Renshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

I like that he has gears, rotated the strike nicely when Warner was teeing off and went at almost a run a ball after his 100 (67 runs from 74). Almost matched Warner with 84 runs in the last session too.

Reminds me of the old days of Taylor and Marsh. It's not good for the current state of test cricket having an opener battling away for a 30 odd off 140 balls.

Besides, he never earnt his spot to begin with. Replace with Marsh and let him earn his place with consistency over a two year period.

How are you looking now. Good thing we let people who know something about the game select teams.

How are you looking now. Good thing we let people who know something about the game select teams.
He was a gamble more than anything, but considering the options, they stuck with him in the 1st test against Pakistan and haven't looked back since. A fair bit of commentary after his last hilarious dismissal, but 160-odd sure put a cork in that mob.

His shield skipper did try and tell people all about him after Adelaide as well that once he was in and confident he had more gears, still seems crazy that just weeks after we had our 5th loss and our 5th test with a laughable batting collapse that people were worried we had picked a 20 year old who actually valued his wicket.

It's not about scoring quickly, he just needs to make sure he can rotate the strike, today he has been good at it whereas the Adelaide test he was getting bogged down to easily

Rubbish. He wasn't getting bogged down. He was leaving balls he didn't have to hit until he was confident he could hit them without risk. Perfect Test batting.

The s**t about rotating the strike is mind-bogglingly stupid. It's important for players who DO actually feel bogged down. Usman Khawaja needed to develop it because early on he was a 4-or-nothing sort of batsman, and if the 4 balls weren't coming he'd get frustrated. Nic Maddinson currently has that issue. Renshaw has shown one snippet of it in each innings he's played - getting bowled by Yasir. That's it. Other than that his temperament has been completely unswayed by slow scoring.

As for the argument that Warner needs a lot of strike or he gets frustrated, that's bullshit. Warner is a professional, and probably enjoys catching a breather at the other end. Warner doesn't like it when HE faces dots, when HE struggles to score. Not when his partner does. The commentators talking about "Warner getting cold at the other end" is projection; they're the ones who want to see more of Warner on strike. I'm sure all Warner cares about is Renshaw staying in.

Really??? You've waited until he's made a very good hundred to try and downplay somebodies opinion. :$

I'm happy for the kid but my original point still stands... the baggy green is no longer a privilege and his didn't necessarily earn his place in the side.

It looks like you were holding onto that post for dear life. :drunk:

Warner when he's on is the force he was today.
It's that little bit of the Maxwells with Warner; it's that one stupid shot he plays that gets him out. He had a massive score on offer today.
Maybe he can't temper it, maybe he should or shouldn't. For mine, I think a lot of the heat Warner gets is indirectly as a result of the Ch9 tyre-pumping of him that goes on. Ch9 Commentary: "When Warner goes bam-bam, it's good for ratings."

Renshaw has the temperament and from what was on show today, the gears to compliment Warner's style as well as anyone since Chris Rogers retired.
Hope he doubles up BIG tomorrow.

... Still seems crazy that just weeks after we had our 5th loss and our 5th test with a laughable batting collapse that people were worried we had picked a 20 year old who actually valued his wicket.

This. In Hobart we got bowled out in less than 33 overs on a pitch that was hardly a minefield. And then in the very next test Ian Chappell is banging on and on and on about Renshaws strike rate. He was playing the situation just fine, and after everyone bar Smith went full * in the previous test you'd think people would be happy but apparently not.

Even today, he's basically scored at a run a ball after he brought up the tonne and that's perfect batting. He clearly has gears. It's understandable (a little sad but understandable) that kids today might not appreciate that's how you used to build a test innings and it's more than acceptable to do so, but guys like Chappell, Healy, Brett Lee (on Triple M this afternoon) should know better.... Shouldn't they?

Really??? You've waited until he's made a very good hundred to try and downplay somebodies opinion. :$

I'm happy for the kid but my original point still stands... the baggy green is no longer a privilege and his didn't necessarily earn his place in the side.

It looks like you were holding onto that post for dear life. :drunk:

Well he was actually in form and making runs when we needed an opener so that's more than most. Most of our team didn't earn their place and it's been that way for a long time. Only when we had that ridiculous all time team did players really have to earn it, otherwise we have always picked mostly on potential.

otherwise we have always picked mostly on potential.
Which is what Australia have been doing for a while now and a big reason for our inconsistency. I guess I'm just old school in that I'd rather a person earn there place in the side with a string of solid performance at lower level rather than gifted the baggy green on potential... that's my gripe despite it appearing as though it's paid off on this occasion. Players like Siddons and to a lesser extent Lehmann and Hussey will agree.

This. In Hobart we got bowled out in less than 33 overs on a pitch that was hardly a minefield. And then in the very next test Ian Chappell is banging on and on and on about Renshaws strike rate. He was playing the situation just fine, and after everyone bar Smith went full ****** in the previous test you'd think people would be happy but apparently not.

Even today, he's basically scored at a run a ball after he brought up the tonne and that's perfect batting. He clearly has gears. It's understandable (a little sad but understandable) that kids today might not appreciate that's how you used to build a test innings and it's more than acceptable to do so, but guys like Chappell, Healy, Brett Lee (on Triple M this afternoon) should know better.... Shouldn't they?

Chappell's an old fool these days. Can't stop banging on about his pet peeves and loses all objectivity. Anyone can see that Renshaw is the perfect style of batsmen to partner with Warner (who has previously talked about how much he enjoyed having the calmness of Rogers at the other end) and the perfect antidote to our one-speed lineup over the past couple of years. Today's knock has cemented his spot for the India tour and good on him too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

most impressive part was him changing to a double grill helmet half way through and kicking on like it was nothing.

I don't know how many people here have ever worn one but it's a fair old change

Which is what Australia have been doing for a while now and a big reason for our inconsistency. I guess I'm just old school in that I'd rather a person earn there place in the side with a string of solid performance at lower level rather than gifted the baggy green on potential... that's my gripe despite it appearing as though it's paid off on this occasion. Players like Siddons and to a lesser extent Lehmann and Hussey will agree.

Well this is a stupid post
Name the Husseys and Siddons of this current team who missed selection for Renshaw or Handscomb. .. go on I'll wait

It's hard to get lower level performances with the way the shield season is now structured - few games early in the summer, then break for the pointless one day cup, then a couple more, then while actual tests happening its all big bash.

Only ones younger than Renshaw are:

Neil Harvey, career average 48.41
Archie Jackson, 47.40
Doug Walters, 48.26
Phil Hughes, 32.65
Don Bradman, 99.94
Jim Burke, 34.59

Just behind him is Clem Hill, 39.21

Every single one of them a very, very good cricketer. Great company to be in.
How old was Ian Craig when he scored his first Test century?

It's hard to get lower level performances with the way the shield season is now structured - few games early in the summer, then break for the pointless one day cup, then a couple more, then while actual tests happening its all big bash.
It's the one day cup, shield, BBL then shield again. They haven't started the shield when the ODDs start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back