Matt Renshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Burns looks more suited to the middle order but has always scored more runs opening. Would be great if there was a definite comparison of performances over the years. He's got an average of 40.8 from 95 matches for Queensland and if I had to hazard a guess I would say 42 opening (~70 matches) and 35 in the middle order (~25 matches).

Stuart Law's justification prior to the 13/14 season was an inability to control nerves whilst waiting to bat so they experimented with just throwing him straight out there and he had two of his best seasons for Queensland. He still had his early batting nerves and was the reason he had so much trouble leaving the ball early and that got him into problems at test level.

There is a strong argument this is something he should have conquered as he got deeper into his professional career but alas everyone has limitations and unfortunately for Burns his weakness was incredibly easy for a bowler to exploit. Once he got going he was genuinely one of the best batsmen in the country but such a glaring and exploitable weakness meant he was facing a huge uphill battle at the highest level.

It's a shame. If he wasn't a professional cricketer he'd probably be sitting on BigFooty pumping out teams in the "Obscure XI thread"... A real cricket tragic's cricketer. Definitely one of the most likeable guys to pull on a baggy green.

Do agree that now Burns test chances are done Queensland should prioritise Renshaw as an opener over him. Bryce Street is a fair chance to find himself in Australia A squads pretty soon so Burns might open a chunk of the time anyway. On the rare occasions Usman and Marnus are available that would make for a bloody formidable top five.

Do agree that now Burns test chances are done Queensland should prioritise Renshaw as an opener over him.

It was Renshaw that asked to drop down the order when he was on struggle street couple seasons back.

he was pretty good as a 20 year old in India. Odd that he’s gone so far backwards.

He's also just come off COVID. I feel like this is a factor we're ignoring for a lot of sports people.

As someone dealing with some serious dysautonomia after COVID I can attest it can * you up in subtle but persistent ways, and then flare up badly.

Maybe he's just regressed, and obviously if he had real bad long COVID he wouldn't be on the tour, but delayed reflexes, poor concentration, just being a bit... off? Eh, it's a genuine possibility.

Basically, any player who does surprisingly s**t after a COVID diagnosis, it's a possibility worth considering.

Spent 4 weeks in a camp in Dubai with a fair bit of the squad prior to the last tour in India, no doubt than prep was better that smacking the ball about in the BBL this time around.
That’s what they all should have been doing this time as well. Been caught out big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs another few years at state level... Just seems to mentally crack at test level.
I don't know that India can be applied more broadly. Its very different set of pressures, and physical conditions.

But, yeah, doesn't seem India ready. If it was just that second innings, coming in when everyone was collapsing to a Test he wasn't even playing, it would be more forgivable but on top of the first test we have to hope Green is ready to come back. Or play two quicks and Agar at 7, with Carey at 6.

Mind you, the whole side could have done with a tour game or two instead of BBL and a short camp. India would probably still win by lots, but there might be a bit more coming from few players.

I don't know that India can be applied more broadly. Its very different set of pressures, and physical conditions.

But, yeah, doesn't seem India ready. If it was just that second innings, coming in when everyone was collapsing to a Test he wasn't even playing, it would be more forgivable but on top of the first test we have to hope Green is ready to come back. Or play two quicks and Agar at 7, with Carey at 6.

Mind you, the whole side could have done with a tour game or two instead of BBL and a short camp. India would probably still win by lots, but there might be a bit more coming from few players.

He just doesn't have the mental fortitude. He panics easily and stresses out at the crease

Always like Matt but he doesn't look up to it at the moment. Be almost better to send him home as this is doing no one any good.

Still think Harris should be in India.
Just because Renshaw is rubbish doesn't mean you should bring in a known sub par Test player. The mistake was not selecting the form opening batsman in the Shield in Bancroft.
That said, I believe you pick your best six batsmen with two that open the innings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back