Matt Renshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

He is more Ed Cowan than Buck Rogers at the moment.

He still has to be capable of actually scoring.

Early days though, revist after 5-10 tests really.

He is plenty capable of scoring. He's shown at FC level he does have shots. He just chose not to, as he needed to protect his wicket and he was struggling to get his eye in.

He was playing like s**t but managed to stay in (with a bit of luck) and kept his composure magnificently. Great signs, he'll be a much better batsman for the experience, and a few of his teammates could learn a lesson from it.

I loved watching Kylo bat today. The nerves will disappear as he gains in experience, and you can'take discount the quality of the South African attack. Hopefully he gets at least the Pakistan series to develop his game and grow a partnership with Warner

Digs in? He was lucky not to be out about a dozen times. Had more plays and misses outside off stump than he had scoring shots. Test cricket has changed from 20 years ago where making 80 in a day and surviving was considered a good innings.

No it hasn't.

Foolish comment.

Khawaja speaking about renshaw: "What you saw today or during this Test match was one bit of Matt Renshaw's game. He does have a very good temperament, he's got a good defense he plays the ball well and plays it late.

"But I think hopefully you'll also be able to see the other part of him because I've seen him take down some attacks. I've seen him come up against a few spinners and really heave them for some big sixes and really change gears. He's 20 years old, playing Test cricket for Australia. I think he's doing great for a 20-year-old. I'd think he was doing great even he was 25 years old. He's doing pretty well."

Smith seemed impressed as well: "I thought he played quite well. He knows his game very well, Obviously he got beaten a lot, but he wasn't chasing the ball. He was keeping his line. South African had some quality bowlers that nip the ball quite a bit so you can't afford to follow them.

"He played the line and let the ball that nips go past the bat and he didn't seem phased by it at all. He just got on with the job and made them bowl to him. When they got a bit straighter he picked them off and that's the way he goes about his game and it was nice for him and Petey - two guys on debut - to be there at the end.

Lets face reality. The South African bowlers were ontop of Renshaw.

That is what actually made his temperament to not start panicking and playing lower percentage shots in order to ease runrate pressure more impressive. The best test for temperament is when you are facing difficulty.

I want to give him a run where he continues to contribute and he did do his job of blunting the new ball both times. Which is good.

I do however expect him to get dropped at some point - like Ponting, Waugh, Clarke, Hayden, Langer, Katich, Martyn etc before him - he'll learn a lot from his stint at test level and go back to shield and/or county cricket and improve as a player.

Lets give him a few more tests for now.

Digs in? He was lucky not to be out about a dozen times. Had more plays and misses outside off stump than he had scoring shots. Test cricket has changed from 20 years ago where making 80 in a day and surviving was considered a good innings.
Making 80 in a day has never been considered a good innings; don't exaggerate.

And of course he dug in; how many times he played and missed is irrelevant to the argument of whether he dug in or not. Not digging in would have been trying to hit his way out of trouble and probably getting out as a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some crazy comments
Kid on debut with a pink ball that nipped all over the place and embarrassed superstars like Amla this series and he fights tooth and nail to face 130 odd balls and people aren't happy
Would they rather Finch play and hit 28 off 14 while we get bowled out for 100

He can be as defensive as he wants when Warners at the other end

Definitely showed enough to be worth persevering with for the summer. Looks much more natural as an opener than Burns and has the advantage of youth over Marsh. Know Marsh has been moved around the order a lot to plug holes, but when he comes back it's logical he is a straight swap for Maddinson.

Geez a lot of hate in this thread. he did exactly what an opener should in both innings, see off the new ball without throwing away his wicket. That effort in the first innings was impressive, considering the Proteas had their tails up in a pretty bad time to bat.

He batted the entire 2nd innings, played through the line, didn't chuck it away like Warner or Smith, and didn't bat like they had to get 127 off 15.

Besides, those 2 4's were excellent drives and he played a peach of a cover drive.

Id rather he get 50 off 200 than 11 off 23.

Certainly made for test cricket. Personally he stays, he was a little gun shy, like if he fails his out, hence why perhaps he didnt look to score? CA should grantee him 5 tests regardless of results to just play and not think negatively.

SA's fast attack is arguably the best in the world and they bowled superb to him. They were bowling rubbish to Warner and Smith.

Punished the balls when they were there, now its just up to him to go back to the next Shield game and rotate the strike more. Work the singles instead of getting bogged down.

Good see see Renshaw not lose his composure in the second innings. The strike rate he was going at it would have been very easy for him to lose it a little bit and try a shot that would get him out.

He does need to learn to pick up the singles a bit better though, there was quite a few balls I was thinking to myself "man you've got to at least get a 1 with that..." but for now it was a good debut and he did a job for the team.

His plays and misses weren't that concerning. It looked like most of the time he was playing well within the line of the ball and knew where his off stump was so he didn't chase the ball. When you chase the ball is when you nick the ball. When he did actually get an edge it went straight to ground every time. Unlucky not to get quite a few runs to third man actually, great field in that area by SA.

He showed in the Shield game that he could score quickly if needed. He crawled to about 15 off 90 balls, before finishing with a S/R closer to 50 by the end. Once he was in, he gradually opened up and began playing his shots, especially punishing some rubbish from Zampa.

He also belted a run-a-ball 50 in the second innings when Qld were chasing quick runs, so it's not like he only knows how to stonewall.

His only issue will be if he does all the hard work then gets out for 25 off 120 balls or something. Ed Cowan kind of suffered from the same problem, he'd make a start most innings, but couldn't convert all the time and work into big scores.

I thought it was a bit rubbish of the Adl crowd to bronx cheer him when he scored runs.
This. Every one was bitching that our batting line up made Turnbull look strong, and a kid comes in, and really applies himself, and people complain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back