Matt Renshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Scoring rate isn't the issue if he showed he could score on the offside. He struggled to get any runs on the offside and teams will work him out quickly. Something for him to work on going forward. As I said, I cant remember a player who hasn't been dropped at some stage to work on things. He may stay or he may get dropped, who knows.

So Graeme Smith who had 2 shots, what happened once people worked him out? oh that's right, he became his country's second or third greatest opener.

so many people getting their knickers in a twist. Im not saying he should get dropped but im also not saying he is the best thing since sliced bread. He shows he has grit and a good mindset to occupy the crease. But going forward he will need to learn to turn the strike over. I saw nothing that would suggest he needs to be kept in the side over shaun marsh

Maybe he saw that Khawaja put away the cover drive, and realised what he needed to do to not get dismissed, and did it?

On Galaxy Nexus using BigFooty.com mobile app
Was going to point out the same thing Deccas, I was interested to read an article which said Khawaja scored zero(!) boundaries on the offside against seamers for his 145. He obviously came up with a plan to not get out in a way our batsman had been all series, and to Renshaw’s credit he was able to recognise this and stick to it for the most part as well.

I do recall one cracking cover drive Renshaw hit (off Philander I think?) in the second innings which made me bar up a little bit. That’s the beauty of a patient test knock, you appreciate the boundaries more when they do eventually come ;)

People need to calm their farm over the scoring rate. It's one test and really who cares. The wicket wasn't a road so there was never a time issue getting our 20 wickets (and obviously his second dig was the fourth innings of the match). Give the guy a handful of tests, let him get a feel for the test arena. He's got a slightly awkward technique but clearly puts a high price on his wicket and has a great knowledge of where his off stump is which are two very important characteristics for an opening batsmen.

Last edited:
Was going to point out the same thing Deccas, I was interested to read an article which said Khawaja scored zero(!) boundaries on the offside against seamers for his 145. He obviously came up with a plan to not get out in a way our batsman had been all series, and to Renshaw’s credit he was able to recognise this and stick to it for the most part as well.

I do recall one cracking cover drive Renshaw hit (off Philander I think?) in the second innings which made me bar up a little bit. That’s the beauty of a patient test knock, you appreciate the boundaries more when they do eventually come ;)

Yeah I heard Smith say Khawaja shelved it, so obviously the batsmen had a chat, and Khawaja said that that is what worked for him. It takes a lot of discipline to take a shot out of your game to suit conditions. Its not a switch you can turn on or off its a lot of trained muscle memory to inhibit.

It was a stonking cover drive, barring up was a reasonable response!

In those sort of smallish, but pressurised chases not constrained by time you do whatever the hell you need to do to get the team over the line. Renshaw did that. Wasn't pretty and it doesn't make him a champion or a permanent fixture in the side, but certainly enough to retain his place for the next series and going by what I saw I would be very surprised if he didn't grab it with a more substantial innings.

I thought he looked a bit out of his depth. Composed, sure, but just didn't have the skill and experience to score against high quality bowling. He played well to survive, but I don't think that's sustainable when you play and miss at so many deliveries.

On merit, Smarsh should be back in to open, and Renshaw goes back and keeps plying his trade in shield cricket. But I assume they'll have to do some shuffling and put Marsh lower down?

I thought he looked a bit out of his depth. Composed, sure, but just didn't have the skill and experience to score against high quality bowling. He played well to survive, but I don't think that's sustainable when you play and miss at so many deliveries.

On merit, Smarsh should be back in to open, and Renshaw goes back and keeps plying his trade in shield cricket. But I assume they'll have to do some shuffling and put Marsh lower down?
As others have said, if you think Renshaw looked out of his depth, what do you think Maddinson looked like?

As others have said, if you think Renshaw looked out of his depth, what do you think Maddinson looked like?
Yep, not sure why the discussion is on Renshaw leaving when he valued his wicket and got through the tough periods. If anyone goes, how bout the one with a much lower FC average, looked totally out of his depth and got done for a duck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, not sure why the discussion is on Renshaw leaving when he valued his wicket and got through the tough periods. If anyone goes, how bout the one with a much lower FC average, looked totally out of his depth and got done for a duck.

I don't think anyone thinks he should be in there and thus don't need to argue it. Id be happy for him to be dropped and renshaw retained. However Renshaw did look a little out of his depth (understandable for a 20 yr old) in that he couldnt rotate the strike and got beaten a lot.

Definetly has a great temperament and someone to put a lot of work into. But wont be surprised to see him dropped sooner rather than later (most players do) to work on a few things.

"Dean Jones, the former Australia batsman, has published a book called Dean Jones' Cricket Tips (The Things They Don't Teach You At The Academy), about the kind of small improvements players need to make to evolve from being good professional sportsmen to international stars. He analysed a typical Sachin Tendulkar century, which took 180 deliveries, and found that Tendulkar left or defended around 70% of them - about 126 deliveries.

It suggested that the ability to stay in remains a great batsman's primary quality. His array of of scoring strokes, however wide and thrilling, are restricted to one ball in three."

From: http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/1069827.html

Its got nothing to do with the strike rate

Its the fact that he played and missed at about half of his deliveries, and was lucky not to give his wicket away on multiple occasions. I admire the fact that he persisted and didn't get frustrated (which I think is the main reason why he should stay in the side long term). But people that just look at his strike rate and say he played a great innings really don't know a lot about test cricket.

Its got nothing to do with the strike rate

Its the fact that he played and missed at about half of his deliveries, and was lucky not to give his wicket away on multiple occasions. I admire the fact that he persisted and didn't get frustrated (which I think is the main reason why he should stay in the side long term). But people that just look at his strike rate and say he played a great innings really don't know a lot about test cricket.
I watch a lot of test cricket and there are pros and cons for Renshaw. Yes you can say he played and missed a lot and say "he looked out of his depth" which is an assumption. A lot of players on both sides played and missed.
And if you knew about test cricket properly, you would realise how great an innings he played for a debut game. Heres how:

1) He "left" the ball a lot, showing he knows where his off stump is which is extremely important as an opener.
2) He didn't chase the ball, which is why he didn't nick it when the ball kept going past the edge.
3) He played with soft hands, which means when it did find the edge, the ball didn't reach the slips fielders.
4) He waited for the bowlers to tire and get annoyed, making the bowlers bowl at him which allowed him to score.
5) He knew that Abbot was bowling a very good line and length and nipping it away, so he decided to stand a meter outside his crease to put him off his control.
6) He knew that driving the ball and cover driving was risky on this sort of pitch, he analysed (or Khawaja told him) Khawaja's game and put that shot away himself (he definitly can do it as l have seen him domestically).
And finally.
7) You can say he played and missed until the cows came home, but the issue is showed a great game awareness, was there at the end unlike certain other batsmen and helped win us the game at only 20 years of age. He didn't lose his wicket, didn't let the pressure get to him and just focused on the next ball. He showed resilience and adaptability which is exactly what Smith has asked for.

I watch a lot of test cricket and there are pros and cons for Renshaw. Yes you can say he played and missed a lot and say "he looked out of his depth" which is an assumption. A lot of players on both sides played and missed.
And if you knew about test cricket properly, you would realise how great an innings he played for a debut game. Heres how:

1) He "left" the ball a lot, showing he knows where his off stump is which is extremely important as an opener.
2) He didn't chase the ball, which is why he didn't nick it when the ball kept going past the edge.
3) He played with soft hands, which means when it did find the edge, the ball didn't reach the slips fielders.
4) He waited for the bowlers to tire and get annoyed, making the bowlers bowl at him which allowed him to score.
5) He knew that Abbot was bowling a very good line and length and nipping it away, so he decided to stand a meter outside his crease to put him off his control.
6) He knew that driving the ball and cover driving was risky on this sort of pitch, he analysed (or Khawaja told him) Khawaja's game and put that shot away himself (he definitly can do it as l have seen him domestically).
And finally.
7) You can say he played and missed until the cows came home, but the issue is showed a great game awareness, was there at the end unlike certain other batsmen and helped win us the game at only 20 years of age. He didn't lose his wicket, didn't let the pressure get to him and just focused on the next ball. He showed resilience and adaptability which is exactly what Smith has asked for.
I'm very annnoyed that I can only like this once.

And finally.
Its your second point that's the most important and what all the "I understand test cricket and you should never play and miss" brigade fail to understand. To get beaten on your outside edge that often, but only Knick it once or twice with edges that bounces metres between slips shows he has the defensive technique to stay in wjen the bowlers are better than him, working with helpful conditions, and on top.

No one is saying that innings makes him a permanent fixture who has nailed down the openers spot for ever. But he showed plenty for me to think he may be able to do just that.

On Galaxy Nexus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back